• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Mythic Playtest?

fireinthedust

Explorer
I got the download, but I'd like to discuss the book here rather than on the PF boards (well, maybe there too; just we should discuss open playtests, I say). I followed the box through ENworld's banner ad, and there was the download.

I like that the download is free.

I kind of get what they're saying: as you level, you have some options to keep you alive. Basically, Mythic seems like it's an add-on to the regular characters, boosting their power. Like a Mythic template. You have some inate boosts, and a number of situational ones that you can spend a "mythic point" on; but then you have to, I think, re-earn that mythic point by completing a quest or some related feat (did I get that right?).

I was hoping this would be their epic level book, but that may have to wait (I still think a short rule set would make them at least as much money as a module might; paperback, thin, but crunchy? Why not? And I recall James Jacobs saying he was itching to scribe it, iirc)

So far I've read some of the player info. Thinking the monsters will need some backup. Already my players mash through everything, using RAW... I must be a sissy GM, I dunno. regardless, i definitely see this as a rule set for truly deadly games, where the heroes will need any and every advantage to survive let alone thrive.

How would one challenge mythic heroes?

Ahnehnois

First Post
I like the basic principle of sideways advancement. More straight-up bonuses is an approach full of problems, and for anyone who does want epic, it's in the 3.5 SRD.

The major dislike I had upon reading it was the daily-limited mythic power ability that everyone gets. I don't expect my regular characters to run out of juice, but I definitely don't expect my superheroic characters of legend to run out of a useful power.

That said, I might try some of the other rules concepts when I get a chance. I don't think challenging mythic characters will be hard; it's just an excuse for the DM to take the kiddie gloves off.

I found it really interesting for possible campaign variants.
Use path and feats that push invulnerable and healing for all characters then - Use the "weakness to weapon" choose a sword type - and call any kill shot a decapitation. Have one of the events that push up your mythic Rank killing X number of mythic characters. Viola - Highlander.

Want a game where one type of monster is really scary - make all undead (down to the lowliest skeleton) mythic.

I was thinking about running a very human centric game with almost no other intelligent races, but all the monsters were Mythic.

So there are all sorts of different ways you can take the stuff in playtest and make a specific campaign type out of it - even if you aren't going for the Hercules, Heroes of Legend feel that is the default assumption.

Wycen

Explorer
I like it, except the mythic weakness, but I get that. The Achilles heal, Baldur's weakness to mistletoe, Hercules rage, all flaws from mythic beings.

I haven't played with any of it yet. I like the idea that you don't have to worry about levelling up to gain access to it. Questing is cool, but I see how integrating it into an existing adventure may skew things, because you still get xp for quests, though I guess each DM has different ways of handling that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads