• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural Attacks and Iterative Attacks

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Darklone said:
Flurrying monk troll with additional claw and bite. Well, I gonna miss the rend.
You could still Rend if you hit with both claw attacks (but not two Unarmed Strikes).

Darklone

Camarath said:
You could still Rend if you hit with both claw attacks (but not two Unarmed Strikes).
Well, you could... but if you only have one additional claw attack as secondary attack, that would be pretty difficult.

youspoonybard

First Post
I don't allow people with natural attacks to make unarmed strikes and their natural attacks in a full attack action.

I view Unarmed Strikes as using your whole body to damage a foe; your natural weapons are either being used as part of the unarmed strike stuff, or you're making a natural weapon attack.

Also, balance. Think of an Animal Growthed Druid in Dire Bear form with a Monk's belt; Huge creature + Monk's belt Unarmed damage die, Huge creature claw and bite attacks, all combined in a 0/-5/-10 (US) -5/-5/-5 (Claw Claw Bite). Seems excessive.

glass

(he, him)
Lawmage said:
Well, the troll in question eschews weapons for reasons of ego....It is a flavor thing that I want to keep so the idea of a weapon is out. Of course, I suppose I will just have to deal with the "loss" of an iterative attack. Anyway, I suppose the troll's rend ability more than makes up for the missing iterative attack. Yrrck Fleshrender is a nasty piece of work regardless...

There are feats in (IIRC) Draconomicon called Rapid Strike and Improved Rapid Strike which allow iterative attacks with natural weapons.

glass.

Nail

First Post
Lawmage said:
Still, it would be an odd troll with the discipline to become a monk...
No, no, no....you've got it backwards: The monk is polymorphed into a troll. Make way for extra attacks!

Derren

Hero
Darklone said:
Well, you could... but if you only have one additional claw attack as secondary attack, that would be pretty difficult.

When the troll monk wields no weapons and thus has both claws free he can make two claw attacks (and the bite) in addition to his monk attacks.

Otherwise its a tradeoff. Aditional attacks or rend (Not that a normal troll has enough BAB to get any aditional attacks)

Last edited:

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
Darklone said:
If you only had one claw attack for your secondary natural attacks that would be a problem but since the troll has two claw attacks and and can use all of it's natrual weapons as secondary natural attacks when combining them with manufactured weapons attack that is not a problem in this case.

Remove ads