• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Natural d20 Press's supers book (Sample Characters)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You've lost me? What do you want the toolkit to do?

The Karate Kid is a 7th level fighter or something.

Superman is an ECL 50+ level veritable god.

Superman is vastly more powerful, and would crush the Karate Kid. In the same way that Elminster would crush the average 7th level fighter.

If you really want to make them equal (and I think that's just silly) you'd have to either weaken Superman or improve the Karate Kid (who would probaby need to be an Epic Level fighter or something - he has no superpowers).

Or you could give him some superpowers and call them "training" or "ki". It's entirely up to you. The powers are efects based, so you describe them however you want.

Last edited:

Scud-O

First Post
Wolvie's Invulnerability

is there a way to make wolvie's invulnerbility apply only to bludgeoning damage? i think that would more adequately represent his abilities. you can cut him, you can stab him, but crushing him i damnnear impossible.

333 Dave

First Post
Do Iron Man!
Lesse, he has flight, energy blasts, super strength, water breathing (his suit hold like 8 hours of air or somesuch), damage reisitance, and uhh... some other stuff! And its all gadgetry!

Ooh... I wonder how Iron Man would compair to Batman? Their both rich guys with too much time and money, and neither have true superpowers, just lots of gadgets and intelligence! My guess is they'd fight to a standstill untill an enemy came along and they agreed that it would be better to beat the enemy instead.

Well, here's the Hulk, for what it's worth. Of course, to be true to the comics, he's probably 40th level or higher, but we'll make him 20th. Now let's min-max a Hero's strength and melee capability. He has 160 Hero Points to play with.

Gain Feat (2 HrPs): Hulk gains the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (giant melee object) feat.

Gain Feat (2 HrPs): Hulk gains the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (giant thrown object) feat.

Gain Feat (2 HrPs): Hulk gains the Leap of the Clouds feat.

Heightened Accuracy (1 HrP): Persistent. Hulk gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls. Base rank 1.

Heightened Constitution (22 HrPs): Persistent. +16 Constitution. Base rank 3. Increased effect x7 (21 ranks). Only when in Hulk form (worth double for high ransk, 2 HrP reduction).

Heightened Defenses (natural armor) (19 HrPs): Persistent. +10 natural armor bonus to AC. Base rank 2. Increased effect x9 (18 ranks). Only when in Hulk form (1 HrP reduction).

Heightened Strength (22 HrPs): Persistent. +16 Strength. Base rank 3. Increased effect x7 (21 ranks). Only when in Hulk form (worth double for high ranks, 2 HrP reduction).

Increased damage (19 HrPs): Persistent. Hulk's unarmed attacks do an extra +20 damage. Base rank 3. Increased effect x9 (18 ranks). Only when in Hulk form (worth double for high ranks, 2 HrP reduction).

Invulnerability (17 HrPs): Persistent. DR 25/+1. Base rank 2. Increased effect x12 (12 ranks). Greater resistance (4 ranks). Only when in Hulk form (1 HrP reduction).

Mighty Lifting (9 HrPs): Persistent. Effective +40 strength for lifting, carrying, and throwing, and can wield weapons and carry items as if he were a colossal creature. Base rank 2. Increased effect x7 (7 ranks). Only when in Hulk form (1 HrP reduction).

Rage (22 HrPs): Activated. Can go into a berserker rage as a free action, gaining +14 Str, +14 Con, a +7 bonus to Will saves, but a –2 penalty to AC, lasting 18 rounds. Hulk becomes fatigued afterward. Base rank 4. Increased effect x6 (24 ranks). Automatically occurs when assuming Hulk form (worth double for high ranks, 2 HrP reduction), irrational rage (worth double for high ranks, 4 HrP reduction). Note that since rage requires anger, he cannot enter rage without assuming his large Hulk form, see Sizeshift below.

Sizeshift (1 HrP): Uncontrollable activated. Whenever damaged or angered, Bruce Banner must succeed a Will save (DC 15) each round, or assume his Hulk form, which is a large, green version of himself. His gear does not change size to fit (0 HrP reduction), unrestrained change (1 HrP reduction).

Super Strength (22 HrPs): Persistent. +12 bonus to melee weapon and hurled weapon damage rolls, and a +12 bonus to Strength checks and Strength-based skill checks. Additionally, an effective +24 strength for the purposes of determining how much she can lift and carry. Base rank 2. Increased effect x11 (22 ranks). Only when in Hulk form (worth double for high ranks, 2 HrP reduction).

So, when all is said and done, the Hulk has an effective strength for lifting and throwing of 90 (104 while he is in rage, which he usually is), plus he can use things like busses as weapons. With his unarmed attacks, he gets a +18 bonus to-hit, which is strong, but not as good as a fighter of the same level (since the Hulk is just a big brute with huge hands). His unarmed attacks deal 1d3+40 points of damage per hit, however. He has about 230 hit points, but also has damage reduction 25/+1, so it'll be nearly impossible for everyday people or weapons to kill him.

When raging (most of the time), this goes up to a +25 to-hit, 1d3+47 damage, and 370 hit points.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Morrus said:

Superman is vastly more powerful, and would crush the Karate Kid. In the same way that Elminster would crush the average 7th level fighter.

Okay the Karate Kid (Val Armorr) is master of every known martial art on earth (and a few alien ones too) beyond this however he has no super powers.

He was accepted as a member of the Justice League after fighting Superman and NOT being crushed - he was able to dodge, roll with the blows and otherwise defend himself effectively against the Man of Steel.

At various times he has fought various other supervillains and won through use and development of his unique Martial Arts style.

So how well would the Toolkit represent this - could a non-powered fighter (perhaps epic level) be able to fight Superman and not lose (as opposed to win)

If you really want to make them equal (and I think that's just silly) you'd have to either weaken Superman or improve the Karate Kid (who would probaby need to be an Epic Level fighter or something - he has no superpowers).

Or you could give him some superpowers and call them "training" or "ki". It's entirely up to you. The powers are efects based, so you describe them however you want.

As for the Karate Kid thing . . . when was that written? I mean, even if a fella with a kung fu grip was dodging all of Supe's attacks, I mean, c'mon, Superman has incredible speed, laser eyebeams, the ability to throw boats. . . . If superman didn't hit the Karate Kid, he could easily have won by zapping him with eyebeams, or ramming him at super speed.

Anyway, a min-maxed 7th level character, trying to dodge and stuff, could be, say, a Monk 1/Hero 6. Then, with 48 Hero Points, he could have a +10 bonus to his Wisdom (+5 AC), a +6 bonus to his Dex (+3 AC), an additional +5 bonus to AC from super agility (+5 AC), a +5 haste bonus to AC (+5 AC), and a +4 insight bonus to AC (+4 AC). He'd probably also start off with at least a 14 Dex and Wisdom (another +4 AC), and would take the Dodge feat (+1 AC).

So, if he just wants to dodge stuff, he could have an AC of 37. If we make superman up as a 20th level character, then no, he probably couldn't hit the kid. Of course, if supes were an epic-powered, 50th level guy, he'd probably have at least a +30 bonus to hit, so it shouldn't have been hard. But hey, different writers write different ways.

Nifty experiment in min-maxing, though.

Oh, I thought you meant Karate Kid from the movies. I wasn't aware of the fellow you speak of.

But yes, it's quite possible. First, you need to have a flexible definition of what a super-power is. The book makes sure to say that, if you don't want to call them super powers, you don't have to, but you can still use the same rules. For example, Batman has no 'super powers,' but he does have something like a 25 Strength, 25 Dex, 25 Con, incredible gadgets, etc. The core d20 rules don't provide a way for a character to increase his ability scores aside from once every 4 levels. However, in real life, people can go to the gym or take steroids or have freaky surgery to improve their bodies, so it is possible.

The rules in FCTF give you a way to handle that. A master martial artist might just be a 20th-level monk, or he might be a 10th level monk/10th level Hero, who uses his Hero Points to represent that he has improved his body, not just his skills. So yes, it's quite easy to represent something like that.

333 Dave

First Post
Still waiting for stats on Iron Man. And how would 4CtF cover things like the Hulkbuster armor? Would you need to stat out two sets of super powers for two different suits of the Iron Man armor?

Lizard

Explorer
Morrus said:

Actually, the original poster was proboalby referring to when KK joined the Legion, when he managed to hold off Superboy for a couple of rounds -- didn't beat him, but the fact a mere human managed to keep Superboy (who was, at this time, a LOT more powerful than today's Superman) impressed the Legion a lot.

Of course, this was writer fiat, the greatest power of them all!

Nonetheless, I'd rate KK as a lot more than seventh level...he was, supposedly, the deadliest hand-to-hand fighter in the universe, could shatter steel with his kicks, etc. I'd give him the ability inflict criticals on ANYTHING, for one thing. Hmm...good power...hmm...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
oooh Crtical Anything sounds crunchy:)

and thank you RangerWicket your description of how he could gain the AC +37 was exactly what I was wondering about.
And I must say that it is a good selling point for the Toolkit as far as I'm concerned

and yes I too think he should be above 7th level

However I don't personally think that Supes should have a +30 BAb. Supes is fast and strong but I'd actually rate his 'fighting ability' and in fact his AC to be quite low (Supes doesn't need AC he has maxed out DR)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads