• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nazareth Awakened - Chapter 02: Wives of Solomon

Rubberneck

First Post
After the lesson, Law returned to his house and caught a few hours of sleep before returning to work. The day is slow, as most Mondays are, which allow him to take it easy. After his shift he immediately returns home to sleep. When Tuesday arrives he is finally refreshed. He runs a few errands shopping, picking up his mother's various medications, and a few other odds and ends. He gets another full night of rest. He has Wednesday off as well, leaving him free make the meeting.

TillForPie

First Post
Agnasci
Mad Dog ends his phone call and sets the cell down on the patio table. He looks up at Agnasci.

Run Through the Jungle has come to an end and the next song starts to play. It's got a peppy beat.

I see a bad moon rising!
I see trouble on the way!
I see earthquakes and lightning!
I see bad times today!

Mad Dog stares back in silence. Agnasci is overcome with the sensation of meeting someone who already knows you.

Don't go around tonight!
It's bound to take your life!
There's a bad moon on the rise!

Suddenly Mad Dog is on his feet, shouting over the blare of the music. "Grab him!" Most of the others don't hear him and those who do are confused. "GRAB HIM! GET HIS ASS DOWNSTAIRS!" Agnasci looks around the yard. Smiley's advancing on him from the grill, Buddha-man and the three bikers unknown to Agnasci are spreading throughout the yard, and BR's digging through the pile of clothes outside the kiddie pool for his gun.

I hear hurricanes a-blowing!
I know the end is coming soon!
I fear the river's overflowing!
I hear the voice of rage and ruin!

Panic settles in as Agnasci begins to fully realize just how bad his situation has become. He knows there are only two options: Try to talk his way out or run. In the moment between him thinking this and him starting to sprint toward the front yard, Mad Dog bowls into him and the two fall to the ground, with the biker on top, both hands on Agnasci's neck. Agnasci is about to resist when the barrel of a handgun appears in his peripheral, pressed against his cheekbone.

Don't go around tonight!
It's bound to take your life!
There's a bad moon on the rise!

Agnasci's marched toward the sliding glass doors that lead into the house. The three women get up from their table and move away from the door. Maybe one of them will call the police. Smiley slides the door open and Agnasci is pushed inside. No, they won't do anything. Agnasci's led down into the basement through the living room. He can barely hear the music.

Hope you got your things together!
Hope you are quite prepared to die!
Looks like we're in for nasty weather!
One eye is taken for an eye!

The Dogs of War throw Agnasci into the corner of the basement and his head smacks painfully against the wall.

"Get some tape or something," orders Mad Dog, "until we can get chains." Buddha-man nods and bustles out of the basement to go look, leaving Agnasci alone with Mad Dog, BR, Smiley, and the three he hasn't met.

"What'd he do?" It's BR, still keeping his gun trained on Agnasci.

Mad Dog doesn't answer, instead crossing the room to the opposite wall where there's an easel and canvas set up in the shadows, a sheet draped over it. He returns with the easel and sets it down in the center of the room before tearing the draping free. Agnasci stares at it wide-eyed and it's like looking into a mirror. It's a painting of him, as he is at this exact moment in the corner of this basement.

Chance, Harper, and Law
The three mages have been gathered inside Nazareth Secondhand Books for about fifteen minutes. It's about 9:00 PM, Wednesday the 8th, and Agnasci is late. As it stands even if they left at this very moment they'd have to speed to get there on time.

"You might have to go without him," offers Faye from behind the counter, a Susan Johnson novel in hand. "You'll be in it deep if you miss your meeting."

Rubberneck

First Post
Law paces for a second and the glances at his watch.

"He's never not shown up before. Maybe he didn't get the message about the meeting? Let's make a run by his girlfriend's place to pick him up before heading out of town."

Enough time spent with the crew has given Law small amounts of information. When he ran all their names through the Police Databases, he got more. According to his last search Agnasci's last known address was with a girlfriend somewhere in Tuxedo Springs.

TillForPie

First Post
It's doubtful that Agnasci had officially registered an address in Arizona. Police databases would point anyone looking him up to a Las Vegas address. That being said, the group has picked Agnasci up at Tuxedo Springs more than a few times so they know that he lived there (and as far as they know, still does), though not in which trailer (as clarified by Mosier in the OOC thread).

"Gonna put out an amber alert, too?" Faye turns a page in her book.

Last edited:

Rubberneck

First Post
Law shrugs,

"I'm still getting used to unusual. I'm a by the book kinda guy. Text me if he shows up."

With that said Law heads to his SUV and starts it up, waiting for the others to jump in. Once they do he'll haul ass to the meeting.

"Should have requisitioned a squad car, coulda really made up time."

Law will obviously speed, but not too excessively, maybe 9 over the posted speed limit.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
Harper considers his Sense Life spell as he slips into the back seat of the SUV. He discards the thought with a shake of his head. "I have a spell but I don't think I can narrow the target to a specific person. I could try to summon a spirit but there's no guarantee I could get it to actually do a complex thing like search out Agnasci. The only other option I have is to send Crow." He shrugs, obviously reluctant to do that. "Crow isn't big on taking orders.

"I don't think there's much help for it: I think we gotta go on without him."

[/section]

TillForPie

First Post
Law drives through Nazareth until getting on Route 60 (driving over an overpass very familiar to Harper). The group speeds northwest for 20 miles before hitting Apache Junction. The Phoenix Metro is a massive, sprawling cluster of cities nearly 60 miles across. Perhaps one of the mages in the vehicle wonders how many awakened must live here: There's five of them in Nazareth, though from what they've gathered from Penrose that's unusual - still, there must be many in this city of millions. The wide, seven-lane arterial streets of the city are for the most party empty enough that Law can continue to speed toward their destination.

Before long the group is in a well-to-do neighborhood in Gilbert. It's all two story cookie cutter houses with desert landscaped yards and nice cars. 4600 Horseshoe Ave is a house tucked deep in the neighborhood and it looks like all the others. An American flag flaps from a mount on the side of the house. It looks normal enough at first, but the stars twist and bend under the gaze of the arriving mages and they know they're looking at runes - like they saw in Penrose's sanctum, like the stuff in the packets their mentor's had them read - though they can't yet divine meaning from them.

The mages get out of Law's SUV and approach the front door. The welcome mat has a quotation on it:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by

Chance presses the doorbell with her thumb and in response the door swings open on its own. Everyone feels that familiar tingle up their spines and knows magic is at work. A featureless hallway extends beyond the front door where it ends at a second, similar door.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Harper, Thyrsus mage

[section]
Harper shrugs and steps forward into the hall. "This is it and I think we've been invited inside." He walks down the hall towards the second door expecting that it'll open on its own like the first.
[/section]

Shayuri

First Post
"I'm really worred about Agnasci," Chance said softly as she looked down that hall. "It isn't like him to miss this."

Something occurs to her then.

"Don't it seem a little ironic, with that welcome mat? Two roads, but here we just got the one hallway."

She shrugs and walks down the path...be it more or less traveled, it is the only way forward.

Remove ads