• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nazareth Awakened - Chapter 02: Wives of Solomon

Rubberneck

First Post
Law sits there and absorbs all the info like a sponge.

"Too bad Agnasci is MIA, I'm sure he'd have a ton of questions for you. I'm sure there's a lot more you could explain but we are on the clock here. What do need for those wards Penrose wants?"

Mosier

First Post
Mad Dog considers. And then the phone starts ringing.

Agnasci's captor leans back in the chair and checks the phone's screen. He watches the phone without answering it until it finally stops ringing.

Mad Dog shrugs. "If it's important they'll call back." He puts the phone back in his pocket and leans forward to take the figurine. "You don't know her real name. What name do you know?"

Agnasci casts sense consciousness. He wants to know if anyone else can hear, before he replies.

Shayuri

First Post
Chance felt a ravenous hunger in her heart when Magellan spoke so lightly of this new magic. The idea of tying magic to a location...you could make a room where time stood still. Well, no, it never STOPPED exactly, but it could run at so big a gradient that it was effectively stopped. Or accelerated. Or...or...

Or you could move from here to somewhere else. Unstoppably. Untraceably. Somewhere secure, for example. Somewhere you weren't supposed to be.

"We need to learn that," she blurted. Almost as fast she tried to recover by adding, "I mean, we can't always rely on you to do our work for us, and Penrose wouldn't have asked for help if he could do it. Who else can we turn to to teach us?"

TillForPie

First Post
"We need to learn that," she blurted. Almost as fast she tried to recover by adding, "I mean, we can't always rely on you to do our work for us, and Penrose wouldn't have asked for help if he could do it. Who else can we turn to to teach us?"
"I've been studying and improving my control of the space arcanum for over forty years," he begins, diplomatically. "And you're right, Penrose has no taste for it. But just look at yourself - You're acanthus, are you not?" She is, though she never told him so. Did Faye? Was he able to tell by scrutinizing her? "Your mentor has no talent for the magic of fate or time, neither, but I suspect that hasn't prevented your learning to use those arcana." Also true, now that she thinks about it. "Learning an arcanum isn't like learning a mundane skill - you can direct your development toward any of the ten arcana, with effort. It can be difficult if the desired arcanum is not favored by your path, it's true, and mastering space will require the help of a Mastigos..." He's on the verge of rambling again but he stops before getting too far ahead of himself. "But you're a long ways off from that."

"Too bad Agnasci is MIA, I'm sure he'd have a ton of questions for you. I'm sure there's a lot more you could explain but we are on the clock here. What do need for those wards Penrose wants?"
"Penrose is already stockpiling tass to pay part of the cost, but in the meantime you'll be getting a friend of mine situated in Nazareth." Magellan gets to his feet and crosses the room to a table by the kitchen, returning to the others with a small notepad in hand. He tears a page out and hands it to Law. It's the address of St Patrick's Cemetery in east Phoenix. Plot 41,433. Magellan sits back down. "I suggest waiting until the weekend. You'll need shovels."

Agnasci casts sense consciousness. He wants to know if anyone else can hear, before he replies.
Once again Mad Dog shows no sign of detecting his spell and Agnasci can be reasonably confident he isn't a mage. When his spell has been cast he senses several humans upstairs - four of them - and people in neighboring houses. Agnasci and Mad Dog are alone in the basement.

Rubberneck

First Post
Law takes the page, head cocked to one side with confusion all over his face.

"Mind giving us a little more info than that? What is it exactly you want us to do?"

TillForPie

First Post
"He wants us to dig up a grave," Chance says. She gives Magellan a frown. "There ain't gonna be a body in there, is there?"
"In a..." Magellan readjusts himself in his seat again. "... manner of speaking."

"Mind giving us a little more info than that? What is it exactly you want us to do?"
"An old associate of mine got into a bit of trouble a while back. The punishment was a few years spent on ice, so to speak, but now certain regimes - nothing you need to worry about - they're changing and my friend's liable to be destroyed. But we're not going to let that happen, are we?" He shakes his head in answer to his own question. "Just go easy, waking up after years can be a little disorienting. Some blood will be needed, more than any of you can safely spare - but if you each pitch a little in it'll be fine." Magellan's lack of concern for what sounds like shady, dangerous stuff is reminiscent of Penrose. "Make arrangements for my friend to stay in Nazareth, just for a few days. I leave the details to you - Penrose says you can get things done." How kind of him.

Rubberneck

First Post
Law remains with his head cocked to the side, even more confusion spread across his face.

"What the f**k are you talking about? Feed him our blood? And you say it like its no big deal... That's some serious crazy s**t you have us doing. What is he some sort of vampire or something?"

Last edited:

Mosier

First Post
Once again Mad Dog shows no sign of detecting his spell and Agnasci can be reasonably confident he isn't a mage. When his spell has been cast he senses several humans upstairs - four of them - and people in neighboring houses. Agnasci and Mad Dog are alone in the basement.

"You want an answer? I'll trade you. One for one." Even in chains, Agnasci can't resist the urge to overplay his hand. He knows the only bargaining chip he has is something Mad Dog can eventually pull out of him. All Agnasci can do is make it more difficult.

Agnasci casts voice from afar, planting a message directly into Mad Dog's consciousness. Don't lie.

"Who is she to you?"

I'll know.

Agnasci will give Chance's name willingly, if Mad Dog answers the question. If Mad Dog makes any threatening gestures or refuses to answer, Agnasci will cast memory hole, using a point of willpower, in an attempt to force memories of Chance from his own mind.

TillForPie

First Post
"You want an answer? I'll trade you. One for one." Even in chains, Agnasci can't resist the urge to overplay his hand. He knows the only bargaining chip he has is something Mad Dog can eventually pull out of him. All Agnasci can do is make it more difficult.

Agnasci casts voice from afar, planting a message directly into Mad Dog's consciousness. Don't lie.

"Who is she to you?"

I'll know.

Agnasci will give Chance's name willingly, if Mad Dog answers the question. If Mad Dog makes any threatening gestures or refuses to answer, Agnasci will cast memory hole, using a point of willpower, in an attempt to force memories of Chance from his own mind.
[sblock=OOC]Just so you know, using Voice From Afar on a sleeper would provoke Paradox and Disbelief, even though the spell itself is covert. Vulgar means that the spell provokes Paradox even without a sleeper witness. But even covert spells can provoke Paradox and Disbelief if they are improbable (see pg 112 of the Mage: The Awakening rulebook), which such an action would be (see this earlier thread of mine, which got a response from a Mage: The Awakening developer). I'm going to go ahead with the spell, but with this explanation you'll know why it's odd that Paradox isn't provoked.[/sblock]Agnasci focuses on Mad Dog, forming the imago of the spell. He imagines his own voice and wills it to jump into the other man's mind. At first nothing happens - his spell simply evaporates away. He focuses and tries again, and then again, a bead of sweat forming on his brow.

Don't...

Mad Dog stares back at Agnasci, eyes widening. Agnasci braces himself for the potential Paradox, ready to focus his will against it. But it never comes. No sharks in the water.

Agnasci casts the spell again. And again. Each time only able to get one or two words through, surprised by the strength of Mad Dog's will.

Lie... I'll know.

"How are you doing this?" Mad Dog is shocked, but not frightened by the display. Agnasci is certain this man is not a sleeper. But neither is he awakened.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads