D&D 5E Necromancers as pcs doable?

PnPgamer

Explorer
I looked at a topic here whcih was about halforc necromancer, and it made me think about the school. Putting aside the evil argument, can you make it work mechanically? Isnt it odd to play a group of (un)people, besides the other pcs? Have you guys had necromancer pc's and how have you handled it?

Mephista

Adventurer
Why wouldn't it work mechanically? Its not that different from a druid who focuses on fey/beast conjurations, a wizard who uses elementals, or even a cleric with their spiritual weapons (poor sorcerer, full caster and no summon options). Casters + pets is pretty common. There's some issues with the Chain and Beastmaster, but those classes act as more hybrid-caster styles than dedicated casters, which lends itself to different rules. Anyways, moving on.

Its not that odd, because the pets act as extensions of the caster's will. You had to cast a spell for their presence on the battlefield. So, its not that different than any other buffing spell - it just takes an unusual form.

Not really what else would really make them unplayable in your opinion. Clearly, its part of the game design for three different classes.

Eejit

First Post
You might want to mass-roll dice for hit and damage and apply it to all the multiple undead pets for the sake of ease. It shouldn't pose any balance issues. Even if you spam Finger of Death daily for years to build up a permanent zombie army it would still be smited by a higher-level NPC if the DM wished.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Just don't drag the zombies through town and i see no issue at all unless there is a religious nut in your party that believes death is sacred or some such

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
If a player wants the Minions aspect and is not tied to using the dead, my preference is to make an Animate Object equivalent of the class using Manikins as Skeletons and Stuffed Dummies as Zombies. Maybe add in a few Specific spells for long term Animates like Swords/Weapons and Animated Armor.

But then I'm partial to the Artificier and his homunculous.

But then I'm a religious nut.

the Jester

Legend
There's a pc necromancer in my game; it works just fine. He just has to bear in mind social consequences when he has undead following him around.

Rhenny

Adventurer
in one campaign I play in my PC befriended another PC who was experimenting with the concepts of life and death. He was beaten up by people in our old town and I got to know him so we traveled together. We stayed together through 3rd level. Then out of the blue while we were exploring the dragon hatchery (HotDQ), he disappeared. I hope his art has not turned his soul black. (The player of the necromancer wanted to play a warlock instead. Lol).

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
A player in my campaign has a necromancer PC, caller a "deathspeaker" or "speaker of the dead." He is a venerated figure in his tribe, marked from birth to serve this important function and instructed by tradition to travel, so as to experience life and therefore better understand death. He will be called to return when the current Speaker passes away and the replacement needed. He is an awesome character and works fine.

Sound Hammer

First Post
Necromancers are one of my all time favorite fantasy character archetypes. Of course they work! Just have to pay attention to micro-management issues on the combat grid and so forth.

Remove ads