• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a good 1st level enchantment / illusion spell

Lizard Lips

First Post
My wife is playing her first DnD character ever, an elven fighter / beguiler. She just hit 3rd level in beguiler and gets to pick a new 1st level spell to add to her spell list with the class ability "Advanced Learning". The spell has to come from the illusion or enchantment school. We took a look at the spells in the PHB and PHB II not already on her spell list and didn't find much that looked very interesting.

Rather than scour every published source, I thought I'd check with you all first to see if you had any suggestions. Thanks!

NiTessine

Explorer
Well, Spell Compendium has shock and awe, which gives flat-footed creatures a -10 penalty on initiative, which is a pretty decent way of shortening combat encounters. Inhibit forces the enemy to delay until next round, which isn't bad, either. Distract, which gives the enemy penalties on Listen, Spot and Search checks is good for a sneaky type. On the illusion side, you have serene visage, which grants an insight bonus to Bluff checks.

Vanye

Explorer
I don't have the Beguiler spell list in front of me, but using the spell filter ability at d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/filters/spell.php), I come up with 5 1st level Illusion spells:
Color Spray, Disguise Self, Magic Aura, Silent Image, Ventriloquism.

Of the five, I'd say Color Spray is probably the best bet for a Fighter/Beguiler.

Of the three that come up for Enchantment:
Charm Person, Hypnotism, Sleep

I'm assuming that all three of those are on the list, but if not, I'd say that possibly Hypnotism would be good.

I don't have any of my other books handy to check...

celewritor

First Post
some options

I was looking at this recently and it depends on what you are going to do. For a disguise artist Magic Aura (formerly of Nystul's) is really nice because very few commoners have multiple or any magic items. Shock and Awe is good if stealth comes up a lot. Silent Portal I considered but really this only matters if squeaky doors are common in your world. I believe Inhibit was spoken for. Distract Assailent is also nice if there are rogues in the party.

Shaele

First Post
Beguiler spells

--Vanye--
I don't have the Beguiler spell list in front of me, but using the spell filter ability at d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/filters/spell.php), I come up with 5 1st level Illusion spells:
Color Spray, Disguise Self, Magic Aura, Silent Image, Ventriloquism.

Unfortunately, all of these except Ventriloquism are already on the Beguiler list.

I just went through the same agonizing decision with my level 3 beguiler. I eliminated most offensive spells, or spells requiring a save, since the DC of a level 1 spell won't remain great for long. You get very few chances to expand your spell list, and I wanted something that would last for much of my career. YMMV :)

Here's my "short list":
* Friendly Face (SC): +5 to Gather Information and Diplomacy.
* Instant Diversion (Races of the Dragon). Swift spell that creates illusionary doubles that split up and run in different directions for 1 round.
* Net of Shadows (SC): Grants concealment to a number of creatures for 1d6 rounds.
* Serene Visage (SC): +1/2 levels to Bluff, which synergizes well with your Beguiler abilities.

I ended up taking Instant Diversion. As spontaneous casters, Beguilers can't quicken anything, so Swift spells are really helpful. It duplicates some of the functionality of Greater Mirror Image (a 4th level spell you get later), but has the advantage of letting you create images which run *away* from you. Better than mirror image for drawing critters away from yourself.

The buff spells really appealed as well, but this fit my character's personality best. As a few other already pointed out, there's lots of options, so it really comes down to finding something that fits your character. Good luck!

-Shaele

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Shaele said:
Unfortunately, all of these except Ventriloquism are already on the Beguiler list.

...which reveals a pretty cunning plan of WotC's: publish new classes who have class features that require the player to buy more books.

This thread made me literally exclaim "oh, wow, that's genius."

-z

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Here's a spell I invented for my campaign:
Me said:
Dash's Glib Response
Illusion (Phantasm)
Level: Bard 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 Swift Action
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster can correctly answer any one question posed to him -- at least, the person posing the question hears a satisfactory answer, although all other listeners simply hear the caster pronouncing a magical phrase.

The explanation is subject to limits comparable to that faced by behavior coerced by the charm person spell -- the answer cannot sway someone to do something totally contrary to their nature (an honest member of the palace guard is unlikely to find any explanation of the armory being looted to be plausible) -- and the caster does not know what answer the questioner heard in response to the question posed.

Remove ads