• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need advice on surviving assassination attempts on my character.

Naadia

First Post
Hello i am playing currently in a Pathfinder game, Kingmaker, if your familiar with the campaign my character a NE Bard 1/ witch 8 was chosen to be the ruler of the lands we are claiming and things went quiet for the first 3.5 years of game time but now i have been attacked over and over by assassins of different types and this is something i never really had to deal with in any game before and i am curious what ideas people may be able to come up with to help me keep my witch from dying young. the real problem is the fact we still spend allot of time out away from my castle and every attempt was sometime during the night in my tent and they just stealth past my guards. 4 4th level fighters and 2 worgs.

Sounds like a good hook to me, I'd be trying to find out who is sending these assassins and take the fight to them instead of waiting around inside my tent at night. I'd also be setting traps and ambushes in anticipation for whoever is trying to get to you every night in the camp. I'd invest in magical alarms or devices to detect invisible so that something can't just walk by using that method.

Think outside the box and don't just wait around passively for the next attempt on your life. D&D is a game of action and if you aren't acting, you are reacting.

MarkB

Legend
Fake your death using something like a Clone spell to make a body double, and have a trusted advisor ready to take over temporary control of the kingdom "until we gather sufficient funds for a Resurrection spell".

With the heat off, you can act from the shadows, watching which power groups make their moves in the wake of your 'death' and then tracking down which one(s) were responsible for the assassination attempts. Then take out the offending group(s), make a miraculous recovery, and reclaim your kingdom.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Counter pay the assassin's guild for protection NOT to kill you. If you have power this can be a boon to the guild.

All out war against the assassin's guild. Raid, kill and pillage their hangouts, dragging people in and then hanging them the next day. But burning them out is a good thing. You can also create a secert force to do your work for you, then offer your protection to the assassin's guild - at which time you kill them.

frankthedm

First Post
Ring of sustenance: Reducing the time per day you are helpless by 75% should help.

Speak with the dead:Find out how the hell the assassins got by creatures with Scent. Scent is auto detect within range so stealth cannot help.

frankthedm

First Post
Ring of sustenance: Reducing the time per day you are helpless by 75% should help.

Speak with the dead:Find out how the hell the assassins got by creatures with Scent. Scent is auto detect within range so stealth cannot have any bearing.

Janx

Hero
Speak with the dead:Find out how the hell the assassins got by creatures with Scent. Scent is auto detect within range so stealth cannot have any bearing.

Good point, and something to take into account. Your DM may be accidentally cheating. If he did not realize that the wargs had Scent and what that would mean for his assassin, he may have erroneously ruled that the assassin made his stealth roll and walked past the dogs, thinking it was that simple.

Your problem will be helping your DM save face to acknowledge the mistake. He likely won't want to recon it. And that'll mean he'll just supply a reason Scent didn't work. You might get him to back off on these attacks since he made the mistake of mishandling them in the first place.

A reasonable statement might be: "We've looked at these assassins and it doesn't appear they would have had the ability to bypass the Wargs Scent ability. If this is true, then you may have mishandled these assassination attempts. If so, I think it would be fair that you back off on these attempts for awhile as counterbalance to the mistake. If you do indeed have all this accounted for, then carry on as normal."

A statement like that leaves room for the GM to correct himself. It also shouldn't blatantly tell him what to do. but it does draw a line that the GM can't just make stuff happen and bypass reasonable precautions.

That said, take more precautions.

Somebody knows your itenerary or is tracking you. Find out who, and/or block it. That means sleeping in a different tent, giving a misleading travel plan, etc. Even the Rope trick where it goes into an alternate space. Put the rope on a tent pole, and folks may not even realize what it is, simply seeing you are not in your tent.

You've had multiple breaches. Change out the security. Or leave the existing and secretely add more that the first doesn't know about.

Run trip-wires to pull on bells or rattle pots and pans around the perimeter.

If you don't use the Rope Trick, put a portable hole on the floor of your tent. Basically, enter the tent, climb down into the hole, and sleep there. That way, if they do a drive-by shooting, you will be beneath the line of fire and thus not get hurt.

Compartmentalize information about your plans, security and travel. Follow a strict Need To Know policy. This will minimize how much outsides can glean about where you will be and your security arrangements.

Coat your tent walls with something that blocks scrying/listening devices. In the real world, building a Farraday Cage inside the walls of a room in your house would block cell phone, wifi, and other electronic broadcasts. Same concept in D&D. Usually, that material is Lead. which is harder to make a portable tent material out of.

You might also want to figure how how to cleanse/replace any items that might be used to track you. Peruse the PH for spells that track or listen, as that might be where your security leak is.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I think it's one of the other party members trying to kill you. Who else would always know where you are and when you're leaving without you being able to pick up on a scry sensor or the like. You need to figure out which party member is trying to kill you and take care of it.

Wycen

Explorer
About 6 or 7 years ago I was in a campaign where my cleric was attacked by assassins a couple times. Never figured out why, because the outcome of the 2nd attack left 2 dead, one of them turning out to be the friend of my character's wife, but I did have some stuff up my sleave.

Firstly, I was a cleric wearing heavy armor with the Endurance and Die Hard feats. These all wont work for you, but what I did was take off the plate mail and put on a suit of chainmail that had been enchanted so that it could turn the wearer into a swarm of spiders and skitter away once per day. Thus, with Endurance and medium armor I could sleep in my armor and if I ever got caught while sleeping I could still escape.

Second, my party members helped keep me safe. Or perhaps more correctly, they fought along side me and Fingered of Death the assassin.

What I assume is common between a cleric and witch is access to spells like Neutralize poison, Restoration, See Invisible and other utility spells either via prayer or scrolls that I could use to counter what you might expect an assassin to try.

Last edited:

Remove ads