Need for a Home Base

hawkeyefan

Legend
Blades in the Dark incorporates the idea of a lair directly into the game, and it's one of the first things established in the fiction of the game. Where is your lair? What kind of lair is it? Do you start with any upgrades to the lair? A lot of these are set up through discussion with the GM and players and then upgrades are dependent on the type of crew the players decide to be. They then have the option of adding a couple of upgrades, if they'd like, or they can spend those elsewhere.

In the game I'm running, the players set up shop in the guest house of a derelict estate. Their lair is secure, and has a workshop so that they can work on projects without having to leave. They later added quarters, as well, so that they can actually live there, and a vault, so that they can store more coin.

In the game I play in, we decided on being Smugglers, and opted for our lair to actually be a Barge. We opted to crew the barge with some cohorts as an upgrade, so we have some underlings who can act on our behalf and can move the Barge if needed.

The process of creating a lair and the idea that you can upgrade it is a really cool aspect of Blades, and one that appealed to me because as I said above, my D&D games almost always wound up with some kind of headquarters.

Remove ads