• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Need help with Dex Trickery Cleric

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
For the next D&D Encounters session I'd like to play a Cleric with the Trickery Domain and preferably a bit of a swashbuckler if possible. He'll be Human (variant) and have the Charlatan background (Deception, Sleight of Hand, Disguise Kit, and forgery kit) that sells fake relics of all FR deities as a con but is really a cleric of Mask. His black bandanna tied around his neck is actually a black mask he uses as his holy symbol.

I'm considering taking the first level as Rogue before multi-classing into cleric for levels 2 and on. The reason is mostly for equipment and sneak attack. I could also use the Human bonus feat on Magic Initiate at first level to get Cure Wounds. Since this is Adventure League I could then retrain out of that feat into a different feat (like resilient) after gaining a level.

Attributes
Str:8 Dex:15 (14+1) Con:12 Int:10 Wis:16 (15+1) Cha: 13
Armor: Light Armor at 1st (Medium armor and Shields at 2+)
Weapons: Simple Weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Saving Throws: Dex, Int
Tools: Thieves' Tools, Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit
Skills: Deception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Persuasion, Investigation, Perception, and Religion (human)
Feat: Magic Initiate and switch to Resilient (Wisdom at 2+)

Alternatively I could just go straight cleric and use the Human bonus feat on Weapon Master.

Attributes
Str:8 Dex:15 (14+1) Con:12 Int:10 Wis:16 (15+1) Cha: 13
Armor: Light Armor, Medium armor, and Shields
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Plus 4 like hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Saving Throws: Wis, Cha
Tools: Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit
Skills: Religion, Persuasion, Deception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth (human)
Feat: Weapon Master

Since this is Adventure League, the starting equipment has to be by class (per ALPGv3). Which means I can't roll for GP and purchase what I want (like a Rapier) at character creation. The Trickery domain's 2nd level Channel Divinity also works well with Sneak Attack.

Having said that, giving up a level of spell casting seems like a big deal (although I've not played a caster in 5E yet so correct me if I'm wrong). In previous editions, one level of spell caster progression is so valuable that I'm torn.

I'm also open to any other suggestions.

everyman322

First Post
I'm assuming since you said "swashbuckler" you want to be melee.

If multi-classing, I personally would start Fighter 1 for the weapon proficiencies, second wind and fighting style, (and a couple more level 1 HPs never hurt).
If you want to go sword and board, pick the Defense or Dueling style and go rapier + shield (re-skin it as a buckler for swash...buckler...ness), and for a feat, I'd recommend Charger, Lucky or Warcaster.
If you want to dual wield, pick the Two-Weapon Fighting style and add the Dual Wielder feat for dual rapiers and +1AC.

If you go straight Cleric, and still want to be melee and Dex-based, you'll do about half the damage with your weapon attacks compared to either of the above options, and have a slightly lower AC, so you'd primarily be casting spells, and you'd probably use a single dagger and a shield and take the Warcaster feat so you can cast with your hands full and have advantage on concentration checks.

For spells, Mirror Image is really good on a high Dex melee character, Bless is always good (better with Warcaster), and Spiritual Weapon will really help boost damage on a single weapon build.

everyman322

First Post
Oh, if you aren't doing point buy, and you go straight Cleric, I suppose this a rare case where Weapon Master could be good, as it would give you a much needed 16 Dex in addition to the extra 2 damage from using a rapier or a couple short swords instead of a dagger or two.

Remove ads