• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need military training help

garrowolf

First Post
Okay I have a basic template for each service and a list of MOSs. What I need to know is what would produce what.
For example
Basic Marine = Marine Template + Infantryman MOS
Marine Sniper = Marine Template + Infantryman MOS + Sniper MOS
Marine Sargent = Marine Template + Infantryman MOS + ?
LT = Marine Template + Infantryman MOS + Officer Training
Colonel = ?

Airman = Airforce Template + ?
Pilot = Airforce Template + Pilot MOS + Officer Training

Make sense?

aramis erak

Legend
Okay I have a basic template for each service and a list of MOSs. What I need to know is what would produce what.
For example
Basic Marine = Marine Template + Infantryman MOS
Marine Sniper = Marine Template + Infantryman MOS + Sniper MOS
Marine Sargent = Marine Template + Infantryman MOS + ?
LT = Marine Template + Infantryman MOS + Officer Training
Colonel = ?

Airman = Airforce Template + ?
Pilot = Airforce Template + Pilot MOS + Officer Training

Make sense?

The USMC Sergeant would have NCO Course, as would most USMC Corporals. Same for the US Army, except that all corporals have to have it.
Officers in the US require college - a Bachelor's from either college or academy. They might not actually have the marine template. Similar for the Army.
Officer versions of some schools are significantly different from the enlisted; others are similar, and others still the same course.
US field grade ground officers usually have a command course (a few months in person, a year or two by correspondence) - the Marine one is different from the Army one. The Naval War College is equivalent, but I don't know the details there.
Note that US Marine Infantrymen have a different skillset from US Army Infantry; similar but not identical. Different tactical deployment patterns and equipment, different expected deployment environments. US Naval Infantry have a very different skillset in their school - it's all about amphib and securing boats. (Especially since the USMC is no longer serving as the Naval Infantry, but as a second, higher motivation, rapid deployment army.)

Muad'dib Pendragon

The Spice must flow... From the Holy Grail
Airman (Basic) = Air Force Template + Basic Technical AF Specialty Code (AFSC, AF version of MOS)
Airman (NCO) = Air Force Template + Basic Technical AFSC + Advanced Technical Training + NCO Training
Airman (SNCO) = Air Force Template + Basic Technical AFSC + Advanced Technical Training + NCO Training + SNCO Training

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I agree with all the NCO suggestions above.

For junior officers = Appropriate template (ie Marine, Army, Navy, Air Force) + MOS Training + Officer Training
For senior officers (perhaps Colonel and above) = Appropriate template + MOS Training + Officer Training + War College

Because senior military officers were junior officers at some point, they would require both Officer Training and War College, not instead of.

The US Army War College at Fort Leavenworth is a school for Colonels and General Officers (for example).

Another consideration for officers, that while mentioned above officers generally must possess a Bachelor's Degree in order to qualify, there also exists military universities for US like West Point, Virginia Military Institute, the Air Force Academy, and Anapolis Navy College (which would apply to both navy and marines).

While there also exists Officer Candidate Schools from elevation of enlisted to officers, not every military, nor perhaps your game system having that available.

aramis erak

Legend
I agree with all the NCO suggestions above.

For junior officers = Appropriate template (ie Marine, Army, Navy, Air Force) + MOS Training + Officer Training
For senior officers (perhaps Colonel and above) = Appropriate template + MOS Training + Officer Training + War College

Because senior military officers were junior officers at some point, they would require both Officer Training and War College, not instead of.

The US Army War College at Fort Leavenworth is a school for Colonels and General Officers (for example).

Another consideration for officers, that while mentioned above officers generally must possess a Bachelor's Degree in order to qualify, there also exists military universities for US like West Point, Virginia Military Institute, the Air Force Academy, and Anapolis Navy College (which would apply to both navy and marines).

While there also exists Officer Candidate Schools from elevation of enlisted to officers, not every military, nor perhaps your game system having that available.

USA War College was required for my dad to make major. Hence why I know about the correspondence course. (He was a reservist.)

And the US has 4 methods of officer creation:
Academy: attend as college, but includes many service related skills, and counts as initial entry training
Officer Candidate School: start as enlisted, go to OCS.
ROTC: attend a college, and get the same skills as an academy grad (but at different levels, most likely), while having a more normal college experience.
Direct Commission: go to college, get a degree in something the military needs, and go direct to a "conversion course" that is equivalent to OCS... in the US, it's mostly chaplains, lawyers, doctors, and nurses. Of these, only nurses aren't typically bachelors + graduate school.

Some countries services historically had direct NCO's as well. The US, for a while (about 2 years) made enlistees to the Army Air Corps Flight Sergeants right off if they already had a pilot's license and could pass the checkride. (Congressional meddling resulted in most of them becoming Flight Officers {Warrant Officer 1} and barring sergeants from flying combat missions.)
The Germans and Russians both had junior college academies that turned out direct NCO's, and their top few percent went to officer academies, at various times. So an Unteroffizier might be a veteran private promoted, or a junior college graduate with under a year in the army... while his classmate who did better went on to an academy and became an officer.

A surprising number of militaries historically had direct commissions to colonel and general. You paid for your rank, so if you could afford it, you could be it. A few still do (but they're typically backwaters).

Also worth mentioning - not a few nations don't have their own militaries, or have only ground forces, and rely upon a patron nation for military presence or naval presence. (EG: Federated States of Micronesia - the FSM has, per capita, more people in US military service than any US State! The US provides their Army and Navy presence, when needed, and their nationals are allowed to join and serve in the US military - but not above O-6 (Army Colonel, Navy Captain).

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Yeah, I encountered lots of foreign nationals who were also in the US Army (I was in the US Army from 1983 - 1987). Off the top of my head, I recall a female sergeant who was Egyptian, a helicopter mechanic from Guyana, and a medic from Northern Ireland, though I'm sure there were more I cannot recall at the moment. And though I didn't include ROTC in my previous posts, honestly, I've known more officers who went to college without ROTC and ended up as commissioned officers.

I was a cryptographic equipment technician, and my sections were always administered by a warrant officer (WO2 or 3). While stationed in Anchorage, Alaska, I was initially in the 172 Light Infantry Brigade, at the Headquarters and Headquarters company for the entire brigade, and my company included all the medics, helicopter pilot/maintenance, all signal support, even the clerks and drivers for the senior officers for the Brigade. In the last 8 months of duty in Alaska, the brigade was upgraded to the 6th Light Infantry Division which was spread out between Fort Wainwright (in Fairbanks) and Fort Richardson (in Anchorage). Today only Fort Wainwright exists, and Fort Richardson is untracked wilderness - all the roads and buildings are gone. I was first stationed for a year at Fort Carson, Colorado. And lucky for me, the first Gulf War, didn't start until I was completely out of the Individual Ready Reserve (by 1 day) - which meant I couldn't be called up for service, so I only served the peacetime US Army (Grenada occured while I was in, but that was such a small incident, most units didn't serve there).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads