Need Realistic Barbarian Village

exile

First Post
The midwife got me to thinking of another idea...

Ketiley

Ketiley was born to very traditional parents. Her father was a leading warrior within the tribe, and her mother remains an aid to Charaka the midwife. For her entire life, Ketiley was lectured about a woman's proper role within the tribe. It was quiet a shock to both parents then, when she took up arms and decided to train as a barbarian warrior, a role filled predominantly by the men of the tribe. In the prime of her life, Ketiley was prepared to issue a challenge that, if she won, would have made her the head of one of the lodges of warriors within the tribe. Her ambitions were cut short though when it was discovered that she was pregnant. She has since been stripped of her armor and weapons and sent to live in the hut of the young warrior responsible for her condidtion. To add insult to injury, he's quite a few years younger than her, was previously under her command, and already has a first wife...making Ketiley that much less important within the tribe. Needless to say, she is a very bitter woman.

Ketiley would be a mid to high level barbarian (depending on the range of levels seen in the setting in general and within this tribe in particular). As her position has changed of late, she may have even added levels in commoner or expert to better represent the new tasks she has been assigned within the tribe.

I almost hate to plug it, but the Book of Erotic Fantasy has pretty good D20 rules for pregnant characters.

Chad

Iron_Chef

First Post
Thanks, Chad, a nice NPC but the tribe in question has no female warriors--they are not even permitted weapons. The men do all the hunting and fighting. Also note I don't need levels as I'm using a different (skill, not level based) rules set, but it's fine to include them if you want--after all, it can help d20 users run 'em in their games.

Last edited:

exile

First Post
Ah well...sorry she's a bust. Maybe you can use her elsewhere, a former officer in the southern army, sidelined by pregnancy.

Chad

Iron_Chef

First Post
exile said:
Ah well...sorry she's a bust. Maybe you can use her elsewhere, a former officer in the southern army, sidelined by pregnancy.

Chad

Hmm... Hate to see your hard work go to waste. If I tweak her by cutting out the warrior part and replacing it with "arranged marriage to good catch" or something, then she's cheated out of it somehow, the NPC becomes viable for me. Maybe like this...

Ketiley

Ketiley was born to very traditional parents. Her father was a leading warrior within the tribe, and her mother remains an aid to Charaka the midwife. For her entire life, Ketiley was lectured about a woman's proper role within the tribe. It was quiet a shock to both parents then, when it was discovered that she was pregnant. She has since been outcast by her family and sent to live in the hut of the young warrior responsible for her condition. To add insult to injury, he's quite a few years younger than her and already has a first wife...making Ketiley that much less important within the tribe. Needless to say, she is a very bitter woman.

Last edited:

Iron_Chef

First Post
BTW, I finally found exactly what I was looking for online--a completely detailed village and clan structure for the Kubora barbarian tribe I was looking for in my game world of Harn. Sadly, there is no map to go along with the detailed clans but it does include the cultural bits, folklore and NPCs. In addition, every member of every clan and their relationships to each other (through blood or marriage) is given, along with ages and special features, from the elderly to infants! :cool: That'll save a ton of work!

Kubora Religion (gods, creation myths, what shamans say, etc.) can be found here.

I also found this Apache female coming of age ceremony page useful.

Finally, here is a more D&D barbarian site for anyone interested I found.

Remove ads