Need some help and ideas!

MadLetter

First Post
[also posted on rpg.net]

Hi folks!

Currently I'm in exam-time at college, and am a bit down on ideas right now. I will give you an overview about my campaign and player character and ask of you all a bit of help:

I need to find out how to continue my campaign this friday. I have a few general ideas (see a bit below) but that's about it right now.

So anyways, I shall no introduce to you my player characters! ;)

Player Characters

Keyleth
Level 7 Elf Fighter (Tempest)

So Keyleth is one of two Valenar in my group. He is basically one of the very few last members of his clan, together with Asariel (see below). His real name is unknown and he has adopted the name of the Warrior he is said to become (his ancestor). One day when he was hunting he found a hidden cache of relics from said Keyleth and that day he became Keyleth, or at least partially so.

The character currently uses Katars, but will likely change to the Double Scimitar soon. He has Multiclassed into Rogue and is a Defender/Striker.

Asariel
Level 7 Half-Elf Barbarian (Thaneborn)

Asariel is our big hitter. He has not much backstory so far except that he and Keyleth are some of the last surviving members of their clan, and that he was betrothed to an elven woman he does not like in the least.

He wields a Fullblade and likes it, cutting up enemies by the scores.

Hager d'Cannith
Level 7 Human Artificer

Hager is a dragonmarked member of his House and did serve in the Last War as emissary and dealbroker. When he was sent on a critical mission near the end of the Last War, he was assigned two very costly bodyguards: Keyleth and Asariel, two elite Valenar Elves.
He has studied in a hidden facility near Q'Barra (which has recently been re-visited) where his elder brother (also marked) was in charge until the facility was abandoned after the Mourning.

He makes use of a Crossbow and mostly his Unbalancing Force. He is also a total sucker for Alchemy, especially the Clockwork Bombs (which in our group are called Bomb-Ombs).

Ayrie d'Lyrandar
Level 8 Half-Elf Sorceress (Storm)

Ayrie is one of two new players joining this saturday.

She's a powerful figure and has gained quite some free reign, as long as she pledges allegiance to her house and helps it's house when it is needed. She got that free reign because of her Dragonmark: A Syberis mark.
Which is, incidentially, where most of her Storm-Powers come from. She owns an Airship of her own, not too big, but still luxurious. Her implement is a Thunderwave Staff.

Anjun
Level 8 Eladrin Wizard

Anjun is the second new player character joining in this satuday (also a new player in the group, like the player of Ayrie).

Anjun is an Eladrin raised by Half-Elves. He was taught the ways of Eberron and quickly became intrigued by it. Because of his interest he became a traveling scholar and wizard, always out to learn some more. He is a Master-Linguist, having masterd 5 different languages so far, and mixes and matches his powers Elements (so far we have psych, fire, neco, cold and a bit of lightning).

His Implement is the Tome.

Comment regarding Level-Differences: I normally do not work with level differences. This time I make use of it because I mis-remembered what level we were (we had a 2 month pause because of one player travelling) and created Ayrie at level 8. I decided to keep both at level 8 to give both new players a chance to slowly ease themselves into their characters, without having to adjust them for a bit of time.

Campaign Story

Okay, we started at level 5. The players awoke in the ruins of Noldrunthrone without knowing where they were and after the second session they found out, that they had lost one year.

One year ago they were located in Krona Peak (Mror Holds) and the Cannith Heir was brokering deals and doing some risky business on the side. And then, everything goes black for one year. They do not remember the time, but they know they were active, doing some deals in the north and south.

Following their own tracks, wondering what had been going on, they followed the most-recent trail: South to Q'Barra. By ways of an Airship they have come to Whitecliff, seeing the city in turmoil. After landing they got wind of what was going on: War.

The Dragonborn and Lizardmen tribes have been reunited under a new leader, who is out for blood (see 4E CG). So the players are one of the very few defenses Whitecliff has, and the city fathers ask help from them.

The Cannith Heir remembers the hidden facility where he trained as a young boy. Maybe there will be a weapon there, that can hold off the army marching for the nearly-defenseless city.

They travel via Airship again and find the abandoned facility overrun with Sahuagin. They slaughter their way through the whole thing and find a few nifty magical items (a whole item-set for the Artificer, a book which has been used by Merrix himself, ...) and in the lowest chambers they find something they could not hope to find: A Warforged Titan.

The only thing known about the Titan is his name and why he rests in this place: He is the Ravager of Lands and has been decommisioned whilst the war was in full swing because the thing was just too freaking brutal and powerful, barely controllable. It has been deactivated by several ways, the most important one being two Fullblades of Adamantite in it's spine.

So the players take the Titan, rope it under the Airship and begin their track back. So far so good.

My plan for saturday is in full progress. For the first few hours, anyways.

My intent is to have the players drop the Raver above the army of Lizardmen and Dragonborn, essentially slaughtering them all by the unbelievably powerful Titan (Level-wise it would be set around 24 as Elite or more likely a Solo).

After they have effectively stopped the attack, a few of the ""generals"" behind this invasion will come flying: Three Dragons, a Copper, Steel and Adamantite, ripping their Airship to shreds, slaying the captain and crew and tearing into my players.

All three Dragons are Elite Dragons of appropirate levels. When combat begins, the Airship will begin to drop and the two new players will come into play - Ayrie d'Lyrandar will save the remaining crew and players onto her own Airship and there the combat begins in earnest.

After the players have defeated the Dragons (believe me, they will!), things go dark for me.

I have several Ideas but no real plot-string anymore.

The Plot and Future

At the beginning I planned to bring in the Dreaming Dark, but I decided against that by now (They're a major PITA to work with).

Ideas I have include that the Titan, possessed by a Fiend of Power, begins runing to Haka'Thorvak, nearly killing the Dragon protecting the ruins, and setting free a few low-ranking Fiends bound to the place, which then fly away and pursue their own agendas to ultimately free their Rakshasa Overlord.

Another Idea is to bring the Prophecey into it (which helps explain the Dragons and works well with my nearly-exclusively Elven group). This also works well with the two Dragonmarked I have.

Yet another Idea is that the Titan wanders off into the Mournland, becomeing self-conscious bit by bit, and joining forces with the LoBster or even supplanting him somewhat.

Many more ideas abound, but I cannot decide. I have no creative drive for this right now, but I need to be certain what to do by tomorrow, so I can prepare my stuff.

So, please help me, folks. I need it :(

Thanks beforehand!

Rechan

Adventurer
1) So the Lyander, seeing the three dragons massacre the ship, decides to use her own ship? Yikes.

2) Combine your ideas.

Ideas I have include that the Titan, possessed by a Fiend of Power, begins runing to Haka'Thorvak, nearly killing the Dragon protecting the ruins, and setting free a few low-ranking Fiends bound to the place, which then fly away and pursue their own agendas to ultimately free their Rakshasa Overlord.

Another Idea is to bring the Prophecey into it (which helps explain the Dragons and works well with my nearly-exclusively Elven group). This also works well with the two Dragonmarked I have.
Have the Prophecy relate to the Haka'Thorvak. In fact, if you want to be sadistic, have the prophecy foretell of the Titan, its releasing the fiends (who then go on to find their Rajah, something the Dragons desperately want to prevent). The Prophecy related to the Titan coming to bare against Haka'Thorvak in aid of Whitecliff. The Dragons wanted to shatter Whitecliff before they built/found a titan - and the PCs are the ones who brought it!

So before one of the dragons is slain, it informs the PCs they have doomed us all by being the agents of the Titan.

Although I would hesitate to play up the whole "Dragon vs Elves" thing. Only ONE of your PCs is a pure elf (and Valenar to boot), not Aerenal, where the real draconic animosity is. Not to mention that I doubt the Half-Elves would really feel the hate. But it would certainly work with the Dragonmarks.

Yet another Idea is that the Titan wanders off into the Mournland, becomeing self-conscious bit by bit, and joining forces with the LoBster or even supplanting him somewhat.
Again, combine the two. Although it makes less sense what Whitecliff has to do with the LoBster. Perhaps the Dragons assail Whitecliff because they believe the PCs will be there, whom they are trying to prevent from bringing the Titan and its presence. The war itself is a rouse to lure the PCs out into the open, so they can destroy them before they awake the Titan.

3) You made the PCs black out, but they've been busy. You made the trail lead to Q'Barra. Yet you drop this plot-thread. Bring it back in full force! You have two questions to answer, A) What were they upto, and B) what caused them to black out/lose their memory in the first place? (Not to mention C) Do the new PCs factor into this mystery in the first place?)

I would put some clue in Whitecliff, or from the Dragons, as far as A or B. Because that is why the PCs went there in the first place. Reward them.

To add this to #2 above, the PCs could have been in Whitecliff, and left before the Dragons showed up. Perhaps they lost their memory because it was an agent of one of the Dragons who erased their memories, hoping they would not interfere with the Titan.

Last edited:

MadLetter

First Post
Thanks for your input, it's quite a lot to think about! :)

I will think about it some more and let you know how I plan to run things in the end :D

Remove ads