ZEITGEIST Need suggestions for a Zeitgeist side plot

Bruize

First Post
A little background on the situation. During the Dying Skyseer module, I had 2 PCs die. The group was rather attached to 1 and the other was shaping up to be a great addition so I decided to allow a resurrection with some favors. I introduced Magtheda, the dark witch. She is meant to be a mysterious and largely unreadable npc. In exchange for her favor, she had the surviving PCs sign a contract in blood. Incidentally, she is an old "acquaintance" of our version of Delft and always calls him by his first name. :devil:

During the resurrection of the party's rogue (party face) she was caught in the act of "sexual healing" with the rogue's corpse. Now, at the beginning of Digging for Lies, she has returned with a side mission for the team. One of them who signed the contract or were resurrected must drink a potion and then eat the flesh of one of the summoned creatures (although her description of the creatures was mysterious and cryptic). During the conversation, it came to light that she may have a baby bump from her previous appearance.

I'm unsure where to take it at this point. I figured she would be using some kind of arcane or shadow magic to advance her own agenda which apparently includes a part changeling child. I thought perhaps the side mission might play into this by somehow empowering the child but I'm not really sure where to take it from here.

If it were any other world I might be able to slap this thing together but I want to make sure it fits into the campaign well.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I'm not really sure where to take it from here.

Lol. I'm not surprised. What a delightfully grim problem.

My first question would be why did your equivalent of Delft introduce your players to this individual? Perhaps knowing more about him would help.

As to side-quests in general, I would say the world is pretty much yours to do with as you will. Personally, I wouldn't link the motivations of this woman to the main campaign if I were you, but use it to flesh out another element of the world. In this case, perhaps something to do with the witches of Cauldron Hill?

(But again, I wouldn't make her a foe, as the players will be unlikely to trust their allies in future.)

Bruize

First Post
Funny story...Delft being paranoid of changelings turned out to be because he himself is one in our game. I did this because when the group's changeling rogue died, I wanted to personalize their boss and show he had "human" aspect despite having been a hard ass....and I also wanted to give the players an Oh Sh!% moment. I linked the two together, making Delft the rogue's grandfather. I had Delft bring in the witch to raise the 2 dead agents at least partially because of his blood ties to the rogue. I picture Delft and Magtheda as having a long, tenuous relationship which was likely personal at one point.

I'm going for a chaotic neutral vibe with her. Something that creeps the players out but isn't inherently evil or against them.

Remove ads