• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Need wheat. Too dangerous. (worldbuilding)

Oofta

Legend
So all of this comes down to personal preference. I don't hand wave it, but a lot of my world does rely on low level magic. I think of it this way: most magic is actually not "combat magic" that PCs specialize in. I mean, yes, you can use a tank to plow fields, but it's not exactly the most efficient way of doing things.

Instead, most people rely on slow-to-cast-but-useful low level spells and that goes for agriculture as well. So the local nature priest blesses the fields, calls for rain when there's a drought, magically enhances crops, grain is protected against spoilage and so on. People can get as good or better yields than we do with modern magic. Add in magic to help with the planting and harvesting, and you need less acreage than was traditionally required. Dwarves and other races that live underground use continual flame spells to provide light for crops. Given complete control over the environment they can grow multiple crops per year on relatively small plots of land. Every scrap of old food, all waste, even the dead get turned in to mulch and fertilizer for the fields.

Most of this is incredibly subtle and if you didn't know it was happening you might not realize it. After all you might not realize that the rain just happened to hold off long enough to get the crops planted and then rain just enough to get them started. It happens now and then it's just a lucky coincidence. Except that it happens pretty much every year. In a similar way, fishermen just happen to find the best fishing spots and they generally come home with nets fuller then we would expect in the normal world. But people in the world just accept it as normal.

So if there is a period of drought or a blight or animals getting sick, in all likelihood there is a supernatural explanation.

There are things that go bump in the night however, along with monsters that think that farmer would make a juicy snack. So in dangerous areas very few people live in isolated homesteads and instead cluster in small hamlets with at least a wooden palisade for protection. In addition to ways to call for help - whether someone that can use a more limited version of animal messenger or a sending stone - the people are reasonably capable of defending themselves for a short period of time against the most common threats. Pretty much everyone is trained to use simple weapons such as slings (which are more deadly than people give them credit for), bows and spears. When things get too dangerous or the threat is too great, that's when adventurers are called in.

In addition, in my current campaign things are significantly more dangerous than "normal" because of events in previous campaigns so a fair percentage of the work force in the most dangerous areas are there paying off a debt or have been convicted of crimes.

Ixal

Hero
So all of this comes down to personal preference. I don't hand wave it, but a lot of my world does rely on low level magic. I think of it this way: most magic is actually not "combat magic" that PCs specialize in. I mean, yes, you can use a tank to plow fields, but it's not exactly the most efficient way of doing things.

Instead, most people rely on slow-to-cast-but-useful low level spells and that goes for agriculture as well. So the local nature priest blesses the fields, calls for rain when there's a drought, magically enhances crops, grain is protected against spoilage and so on. People can get as good or better yields than we do with modern magic. Add in magic to help with the planting and harvesting, and you need less acreage than was traditionally required. Dwarves and other races that live underground use continual flame spells to provide light for crops. Given complete control over the environment they can grow multiple crops per year on relatively small plots of land. Every scrap of old food, all waste, even the dead get turned in to mulch and fertilizer for the fields.

Most of this is incredibly subtle and if you didn't know it was happening you might not realize it. After all you might not realize that the rain just happened to hold off long enough to get the crops planted and then rain just enough to get them started. It happens now and then it's just a lucky coincidence. Except that it happens pretty much every year. In a similar way, fishermen just happen to find the best fishing spots and they generally come home with nets fuller then we would expect in the normal world. But people in the world just accept it as normal.

So if there is a period of drought or a blight or animals getting sick, in all likelihood there is a supernatural explanation.

There are things that go bump in the night however, along with monsters that think that farmer would make a juicy snack. So in dangerous areas very few people live in isolated homesteads and instead cluster in small hamlets with at least a wooden palisade for protection. In addition to ways to call for help - whether someone that can use a more limited version of animal messenger or a sending stone - the people are reasonably capable of defending themselves for a short period of time against the most common threats. Pretty much everyone is trained to use simple weapons such as slings (which are more deadly than people give them credit for), bows and spears. When things get too dangerous or the threat is too great, that's when adventurers are called in.

In addition, in my current campaign things are significantly more dangerous than "normal" because of events in previous campaigns so a fair percentage of the work force in the most dangerous areas are there paying off a debt or have been convicted of crimes.
The problem with such solution that just throws magic at it and says its done is that this has unintended consequences. Who are all the spellcasters who can enchant all the many, many fields needed? What else can they do? Why are not they running the country?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The problem with such solution that just throws magic at it and says its done is that this has unintended consequences. Who are all the spellcasters who can enchant all the many, many fields needed? What else can they do? Why are not they running the country?
A level 5 nature priest can double farm yields by themselves. And you bet that the church of harvest/fertility has serious influence.

BookTenTiger

He / Him

Yeah, I agree with this. I tend to think of all the things people do and used to do as superstitious rituals: hanging a horseshoe over the door, placing fruit at the feet of an ancestor statue, throwing salt over their shoulder... These things can actually work in a fantasy setting!

All those little acts of ritualistic magic usually keep the balance between agriculture and evil. The adventure begins when the balance gets thrown off and more powerful evil rears its head.

Oofta

Legend
I assume there are multiple kinds of magic. The local priest that blesses the crop? Couldn't cast cure light wounds if they wanted. That's combat magic.

They can create a healing poultice, or a special tea that acts like magical antibiotics.

What I have have a problem with is that in a world with magic that the only spells that exist are primarily combat oriented. People have always relied on superstition and ritual. In a world where magic is real, I think it only makes sense that those rituals have real impact.

It's like having a world with a modern military and everyone else has stone age technology.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I sort of assumed that this is a large part of feudalism being a common system in DnD games. The lords protect their land, they have soldiers or knights that clear out any creatures that are threatening those that the lords protect. If not feudalism, then whoever is in charge or the area is responsible for solving these issues.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
This-is-amazing! So many ideas. Thank you, everyone. This has been so helpful. I never imagined I would get 5 pages of responses and quibbles and links and jokes and.....
Anyway, thanks. You've fixed my (OP) worldbuilding problem and given me enjoyable material to read through on a tough day.

There’s still plenty of time for this to turn into a bitter argument about metagaming or orcs.

A level 5 nature priest can double farm yields by themselves. And you bet that the church of harvest/fertility has serious influence.
I mean, Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms gets a substantial proportion of its food from a huge fortified farm complex run by the church of the goddess of agriculture...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
In the medival UK a square mile could support about 180 people, of which maybe 20 would be soldiers and another 20 the Lords family (potentially trained in arms too). Starvation and winter deaths were common.

In DnD druids and fertility rites mean that crop yields are higher and thus populations can support more fighters, magic users and rogues, all of whom provide defense for the farming peasants.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I assume there are multiple kinds of magic. The local priest that blesses the crop? Couldn't cast cure light wounds if they wanted. That's combat magic.

They can create a healing poultice, or a special tea that acts like magical antibiotics.

What I have have a problem with is that in a world with magic that the only spells that exist are primarily combat oriented. People have always relied on superstition and ritual. In a world where magic is real, I think it only makes sense that those rituals have real impact.

It's like having a world with a modern military and everyone else has stone age technology.
I have written at length about le Petit Albert, a grimoire published in Europe in the 1700s. The book was very popular (the Church was NOT happy) and was meant for "everyone".

While I don't think the spells worked (... some of them were more recipes than magic, and those could have), it still is a great survey of what people thought was possible, and what they wanted to be possible. And while there were a few "combat spells", the great majority were not. The most popular type of spells were love spells, followed by fishing spells and then various crop spells.

Remove ads