D&D General Need wheat. Too dangerous. (worldbuilding)

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Also, rabbit starvation is a thing.

Rabbits are so low in fat and carbs that if you just eat them, your body starves to death; it needs fats to metabolize the protein, and there isn't enough in the rabbits.

1635972271085.png

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Well if there is 200 K people in waterdeep, and 1.8 more million in the area, it seems pretty settled to me.

Also, I took your geographic instruction and made a rough rectangle of land using a map that calculates distances in FR. I was able to draw a rough rectangle and calculate that the area you depict is roughly 55 000 square miles. based on our previous discussion, where 1 square mile can support 500 people with some magical assistance, that's enough land to support 27 million!

Now, of course the land is not that settled, lots of mountains, moors and such, so as a result we don't have 27 million people living there.
Well I never said that Waterdeep had 200,000 people or 1.8 million in the surrounding are nor did I claim that a square mile would feed 500 or so. What I was claiming, (though I may not have made clear), is that source books that I have read does not describe the area I covered as controlled by Waterdeep, not is it secure or well settled, from memory of the 3rd edition FR guide book and from the description of travel in the Dessarin valley as described in Princes of the Apocalypse.
@Ancalagon, in general, if Waterdeep was a normal medieval city, with that kind of population it would need to, at least control the area I described and has the capacity to control a whole lot more. Rome, controlled the Western Med with less and conquered the Eastern Med while it was at it.
The problem as I see it, it that D&D source books tend to ignore historical demographics, essentially pull number out of thin air and tend not to give cities and kingdoms any kind of secure core area and the game would be better if they did.

Your defense of modern maps was to talk about how Ed Greenwood made them when he was 16. So, if he had no creative control over them... why does it matter how old he was when he made them? He doesn't have any creative control over them and hasn't for decades according to you.
Sure, but you didn't make that argument. You made the argument that we should be nice to Greenwood because he created the realms when he was 16, and challenged people if they thought they could do so well when they were 16.
No. I don't know if you are reading what I've actually said or not. But any paraphrasing you are doing regrading my positions and statements is certainly absolutely wrong and inaccurate.

I did not say or imply:
  • That Ed made the maps when he was 16.
  • Nor did I say that he currently has no creative control.
  • Or that we should be nice to Ed.
  • Nor that I challenged if anyone 16 could do better today.

I don't know if you are just hung up on what you think the discussion is, or if you are not discussing with intellectual honesty or not. But it doesn't matter. No one else appears interested in the discussion and I am no longer interested in discussing it with you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases