• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Needing Help Building a Setting for Rome RP

Aeradom

First Post
The action begins in A.D.62 (+/-).
At this time there are no elves, dwarves, 1/2lings, gnomes, tieflings, dragonborn, etc. Maybe just stories of them in far off corners of the Empire or beyond its border. But not as playable races.
Divine & Arcane magic is not a thing.

The west coast of Italy is rocked by a series of heavy earthquakes over the course of several days.
Although more violent than usual (causing major damage to various towns/infrastructure/etc - that takes years to repair) , nothing much is really thought of the incident. Afterall, the areas always been subject to quakes and minor volcanic activity....

Some time after that (several months?) the "fun" begins.
Tales begin circulating of strange creatures roaming the country side.
At first this is laughed at. But but eventually the problem has to be admitted & a Legion of troops gets sent.
Monsters are confirmed to be REAL!
Meanwhile followers of the old gods (remember, this is only 63 A.D., but let's pretend Christianity spread a bit faster for plot purposes) start to manifest spell casting capabilities & other class powers.... Almost as if the old gods are aiding thier faithfull.
Multi-classing, re-training, & wholly new characters become options at this stage.

This continues for a # of years, increasing in scope.
Squads are sent to recover ancient Greek etc artifacts, consult oracles, etc.
Tieflings begin to be born in western Italy. They mature unnaturally fast....
Troops sent to remote ends of the Empire/map DO run into elves, dwarves, & such. Non-human PC races become options.

And then, in 79 A.D. all Hell - or more accurately Hades - breaks loose as the titans claw their way back into the material world through Mt. Vesuvius.
Monsters, Magic, & Gods have officially returned to the Roman Empire.

o_O this is very nice, much appreciated. I'll probably be making some minor tweaks of course, but I definitely like the idea of of their being the "fun" kind of stuff. I think I'll have it start localized, and then starting to spread out. I also really haven't factored in Christianity, though I think I'm going to hold all that until later... but it does give me a reason for the gods to turn on them.

innerdude

Legend
The action begins in A.D.62 (+/-).
At this time there are no elves, dwarves, 1/2lings, gnomes, tieflings, dragonborn, etc. Maybe just stories of them in far off corners of the Empire or beyond its border. But not as playable races.
Divine & Arcane magic is not a thing.

The west coast of Italy is rocked by a series of heavy earthquakes over the course of several days.
Although more violent than usual (causing major damage to various towns/infrastructure/etc - that takes years to repair) , nothing much is really thought of the incident. Afterall, the areas always been subject to quakes and minor volcanic activity....

Some time after that (several months?) the "fun" begins.
Tales begin circulating of strange creatures roaming the country side.
At first this is laughed at. But but eventually the problem has to be admitted & a Legion of troops gets sent.
Monsters are confirmed to be REAL!
Meanwhile followers of the old gods (remember, this is only 63 A.D., but let's pretend Christianity spread a bit faster for plot purposes) start to manifest spell casting capabilities & other class powers.... Almost as if the old gods are aiding thier faithfull.
Multi-classing, re-training, & wholly new characters become options at this stage.

This continues for a # of years, increasing in scope.
Squads are sent to recover ancient Greek etc artifacts, consult oracles, etc.
Tieflings begin to be born in western Italy. They mature unnaturally fast....
Troops sent to remote ends of the Empire/map DO run into elves, dwarves, & such. Non-human PC races become options.

And then, in 79 A.D. all Hell - or more accurately Hades - breaks loose as the titans claw their way back into the material world through Mt. Vesuvius.
Monsters, Magic, & Gods have officially returned to the Roman Empire.

You couldn't have captured the essence and "zeitgeist" of Weird Wars Rome any better if you'd tried. Even if you don't want to use the Savage Worlds rules, it's got some great information on basic Roman life, particularly as it relates to Roman soldiery.

Aeradom

First Post
You couldn't have captured the essence and "zeitgeist" of Weird Wars Rome any better if you'd tried. Even if you don't want to use the Savage Worlds rules, it's got some great information on basic Roman life, particularly as it relates to Roman soldiery.

That's definitely something I want to capture by the way, especially with the "first" campaign that I'm going to run. Like, I want the first game to serve as really an introduction to the world and the characters around to create much more urgency when SHTF. Getting some help in flushing out that world will certainly help. I am curious with Weird Wars Rome, what era does it take place in primarily?

innerdude

Legend
That's definitely something I want to capture by the way, especially with the "first" campaign that I'm going to run. Like, I want the first game to serve as really an introduction to the world and the characters around to create much more urgency when SHTF. Getting some help in flushing out that world will certainly help. I am curious with Weird Wars Rome, what era does it take place in primarily?

I'd have to go back and look at it to be sure, but I seem to remember it mentioning the fall of Pompeii in the rulebook, so around A.D. 80 maybe? It does provide a basic historical timeline in the book, at least for the Imperial period.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads