Nentir Vale Coming to Dungeons and Dragons

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe is too soon to say this, but with the changes on Kiris Dahn we saw in chapter 2, it seems that 5e's version of the Nentir Vale is not the same of 4e's.

I mean, Kiris Dahn in chapter 2 was depicted way different as it was in "The Slaying Stone" adventure. Not only its depiction but also its backstory. Add this to what they did with the Raven Queen in Tome of Foes, and the retcon is pretty obvious....

This isn't the "5E Version" this is Mearl's homebrew interpretation.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
This isn't the "5E Version" this is Mearl's homebrew interpretation.

That's going to become the 5e version, if we go by what people is saying in Twitter or YouTube. Even if it never goes to become official, right now is the only version many 5e players know of the Vale. For them, this is the only version of the Vale.

Imaro

Legend
That's going to become the 5e version, if we go by what people is saying in Twitter or YouTube. Even if it never goes to become official, right now is the only version many 5e players know of the Vale. For them, this is the only version of the Vale.

If it's not official it's not the 5e version. I find it strange that people expect/want Mearls to run a strictly by the book campaign, and sorry, but I'm glad he didn't. I think it's better to show new players who may be watching the stream that they don't necessarily have to be beholden to what's printed in a book... it's your game and any DM should feel like they have the freedom to make any campaign world their own.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
If it's not official it's not the 5e version. I find it strange that people expect/want Mearls to run a strictly by the book campaign, and sorry, but I'm glad he didn't. I think it's better to show new players who may be watching the stream that they don't necessarily have to be beholden to what's printed in a book... it's your game and any DM should feel like they have the freedom to make any campaign world their own.

that is the whole point of D&D to me. it should primarily be about creating your own setting and adventures. even rules for that matter. and it is still great they have settings and adventures premade for those that do not have the time. i also love new settings and homebrew settings. i like planehopping adventures between alternate prime material planes.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Is it "showing new players that they don't have to be beholden to the book" if they've never read the book it isn't beholden to, though? I'm all for DMs running their games however they want, Mearls included. But this campaign isn't being pitched as Mike Mearls' homebrew setting. It's being pitched as Nentir Vale. Coming from a guy who's at the helm of D&D. That's not showing new players that they can change published settings to their liking, that's showing existing players that published setting is being changed whether they like it or not.

Imaro

Legend
Is it "showing new players that they don't have to be beholden to the book" if they've never read the book it isn't beholden to, though? I'm all for DMs running their games however they want, Mearls included. But this campaign isn't being pitched as Mike Mearls' homebrew setting. It's being pitched as Nentir Vale. Coming from a guy who's at the helm of D&D. That's not showing new players that they can change published settings to their liking, that's showing existing players that published setting is being changed whether they like it or not.

Okay let's look at how this realistically plays out. Unless these hypothetical new players are both watching the stream and taking copious notes in order to run their game there (highly unlikely) they are going to turn to google to get information on the Nentir Vale once their interest has been piqued by the show. And since Mearl's version of the Nentir Vale isn't published anywhere guess where that google search leads them... to the 4e version.

Now if they get invested in the Vale as a setting, they may realize some of the changes Mearls has implemented... this does in fact give them an example of homebrewing a setting which again since it's official form (as well as nearly all information on the internet) only exists as the Nentir Vale released for 4e isn't showing them anything has been changed officially. At this point it's up to them to decide whether they want to keep their Vale canon, integrate some/all of Mearl's changes or implement their own changes (actually they could do a combination of the last two as well). I think you are vastly underestimating the accessibility of information on the setting as well as the practical value to someone of a homebrewed stream, who is actually interested in setting a game in the Nentir Vale. If anything fans of the Nentir Vale should be happy this show is throwing the setting into the spotlight and generating buzz/interest around it instead of complaining that it's not being ran exactly as presented in 4e.

EDIT: There's also the fact that research on the internet into the Nentir Vale is going to lead them to DM's Guild... which has the original 4e books with that version of the Nentir Vale. this seems more about people being mad Mearls changed some things in their precious setting and using a flimsy justification for why it shouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Remove ads