[Netflix] Shadow & Bones

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I really liked to first two episodes. Anyone else watching this?

"Ravka, a fantasy kingdom based on the Tsarist Russian Empire, is set in a war-torn world plagued by the Shadow Fold, a swath of permanent darkness separating East from West Ravka which is inhabited by carnivorous winged creatures known as Volcra. Orphan mapmaker Alina Starkov discovers that she is a Grisha (a magic-user) who posseses the power to create light, which could be the key to setting her country free from the Fold. Alina joins an elite army of Grisha serving under General Kirigan, the Shadow Summoner."

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Its not too bad. I like the pacing and style of it for sure. The acting is a little wooden at times, but I'm enjoying most of the performances.

Dire Bare

Legend
I was going to watch just one episode per week . . . . two days later, I've wrapped up all 8!! Enjoyed the hell out of the story and the world, and I will be reading the books it's based on for sure.

The Shadow Fold reminded me a lot of the Mourning in the Eberron setting, including the various methods of traversing it. I also enjoyed the backstory of the grisha ("witches"), who are becoming less valuable to the army over time as technology progresses.

The Darkling was an attempt at a sympathetic villain, but played a bit too melodramatically towards the end to make that work. And I love the actor, Ben Barnes.

And the Crows!!!! What a fun group of rogues, including the Conductor! That was a character that went places I wasn't expecting!

The geography of the world was confusing to follow in the story, even after looking at a map Netflix put online.

Overall, I have quibbles, but really, really enjoyed spending two full evenings watching this epic! There's at least two more seasons to this story, if Netflix doesn't pull a Netflix and cancel the show prematurely!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I've read all the books. The Grisha Trilogy is fine, but the first book especially can be rough at times.

The Six of Crows and its sequel are both really, really good though.

I was so excited for this to come out, and it did not disappoint

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I just finished a few more eps tonight. I think it gets better as it goes. Though, I could see the twist that just happened from a mile away. Still enjoying it.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I really liked to first two episodes. Anyone else watching this?

"Ravka, a fantasy kingdom based on the Tsarist Russian Empire, is set in a war-torn world plagued by the Shadow Fold, a swath of permanent darkness separating East from West Ravka which is inhabited by carnivorous winged creatures known as Volcra. Orphan mapmaker Alina Starkov discovers that she is a Grisha (a magic-user) who posseses the power to create light, which could be the key to setting her country free from the Fold. Alina joins an elite army of Grisha serving under General Kirigan, the Shadow Summoner."

I'm waiting to read at least the first 3 Grishaverse books before I dive into the series.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Yeah, I started it the other day thinking it would be a bit of cheap crap like Mortal Instruments or that bad Arthurian thing, also on Netflix, from a few months ago.

But I binged the first 6 eps and will be finishing season 1 tonight. It's good.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’ve watched the first two episodes and do like the aesthetic, and that its a great departure from medieval western Europe. The story seems standard YA adventure

but the accents are excrutiating and had disjunct of setting and sound which had me a little discombobulated

Last edited:

watched 5.5 episodes so far. Its ok and a little confusing

why would ben barnes character be so powerful and why would anyone want to see his power displayed?

traveling by boat/train-Are they traveling at different points on the continent?

the factions/the army etc-is the army fighting the anti-witch faction and the side that wants the light bringer?

the light bringer-seems like theres a "holy" history for them. Did they die out and thought lost for good?

the stag?

the meadow? is the meadow a real place or a magical place they go to?

Dire Bare

Legend
I’ve watched the first two episodes and do like the aesthetic, and that its a great departure from medieval western Europe. The story seems standard YA adventure

but the accents are excrutiating and had disjunct of setting and sound had me a little discombobulated
Heh, I noticed that. Lots of British accents in this Russian-inspired fantasy land!

But to my American ears, the British accent is linked indelibly to fantasy, so it was noticeable, but not jarring. If I had any Russian heritage, I'd probably be miffed a bit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases