• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Netscape 7 won't go away (from HD)?

Quasqueton

First Post
Last night, after reading a thread in the general discussion forum about eliminating spyware and such, I did some clean up work on my computer.

I got rid of 15 possible spyware components. Cleaned out all my temp files. Deleted tons of old garbage and programs and such from my hard drive.

Then I decided to try updating my Netscape software. I've been running Netscape Communicator 4.7. I downloaded Netscape 7. [Before installing the newest Netscape, I made sure to save my older program on a seperate hard drive (a physically seperate HD) just in case the new program overwrote those files.]

I checked my HD memory and it showed 1.6 GB used (is a 3 GB drive). After installing Netscape 7 it showed 2.0 GB used. Holy mackerel -- 400 MB program? I didn't want to keep it. Too much memory space compared to what had been doing me fine for all this time.

There was no uninstall function for Netscape 7, so I just deleted all its files and folders. Fortunately installing 7 did not overwrite 4.7, so I didn't have to move the saved file back.

So, in theory, my HD should be back to its 1.6 used amount. But no. It is still using 2.0 GB. What? I deleted NS7 (I thought) completely and even restarted the computer. But still, there is a mysterious 400 MB of program somewhere on my HD.

Since my HD is so small, every MB is important. Any ideas, suggestions, or hints on where to find and delete this "hidden" 400 MB of stuff?

Thanks a lot.

After spending a couple hours going through my computer last night cleaning stuff out, I now have more crap on my HD than before I started. Really aggravating.

Quasqueton

Welverin

First Post
You didn't say what OS you are using which is rather important. What I say is based on my PC which is running Win98.

First off I have NS7 installed and the main program folder is about 41.3 mb and that includes the 15.3 mb for the setup files I have in there, which aren't needed. If that is all you deleted then you missed the folder with your setting information and some other stuff, including the cache. That stuff can be found here:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla
This will have the cache and mail in it, but even mine was only about40-45mb. All that adds up to tell me you likely have something else going on.

Second if you are using windows you can uninstall NS7 by opening Control Panel open up Add/Remove Programs. On the Install/Uninstall tab there will be a list of programs scroll down until you find Netscape (7.xx) click on it then click the Add/Remove button.
Since you just deleted the other folder you may need to reinstall it before you can uninstall it.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, I use NS7 and my Netscape folder is only 50 Meg. including plugins. Don't know whats eating up your HD but its not Netscape. Maybe some cached files?

Uninstalling it is done from the control panel, just call up Add/remove Programs and scroll down till you find it.

Personally I like NS7, the ability to open multiple tabs is very handy.

The Auld Grump

Oops missed the previous respone, so most of this is repeats, sorry.

Last edited:

Quasqueton

First Post
Thanks.

I'm using Windows 98.

I checked my HD memory before installing NS7, then I checked it after installing. I checked again after deleting it.

I know installing such programs will sometimes include other programs like Real Player and such, but I already have that and the others.

It just kind of made me mad that I spent a couple hours cleaning out my HD, but then ended the night with 400 more megs than I started with. Aggravating, especially for a 3 GB HD.

Thanks for the replies. I'll fiddle with this all again tomorrow night, keeping your comments in mind.

Quasqueton

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads