• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New 4E covers up!

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
This. That cover is terrible. Sharn? Airships? An old battlefield with a half-dozen broken flags on the ground and a non-specific city in the distance?

Pretty much anything else, really.
Agreed. This ECG picture would be okay for a monster manual, but it's lousy for a campaign setting. It has no background. I know it's supposed to be the mournland, but "vague orange background with a couple rocks" isn't very evocative as the mournland or anything else.

The EPG is similar, though the foreground figures are much better. The warforged and the artificer are very representative of the setting. Now if only we could get them a real background, rather than yet another vague orange blur.

Kaodi

Hero
I like both Eberron covers well enough, though I agree that the Lord of Blades cover seems somewhat misplaced. What would be kind of cool would be someone with the Mark of Shadow scrying, kind of like the dragon on the DMG, but with more action and more badass.

What I really thought was horrible was Divine Power and Kingdom of the Ghouls... and no Wolfgang Baur is bad, too.

Klaus

First Post
I like both Eberron covers well enough, though I agree that the Lord of Blades cover seems somewhat misplaced. What would be kind of cool would be someone with the Mark of Shadow scrying, kind of like the dragon on the DMG, but with more action and more badass.

What I really thought was horrible was Divine Power and Kingdom of the Ghouls... and no Wolfgang Baur is bad, too.
The Eberron Campaign Guide cover should be like the cover of Rise of the Seventh Moon, the best (and so far only complete) depiction of Sharn ever:

products_eberronnovel_959887400_lgpic.jpg

JeffB

Legend
Not crazy about any of those covers really- the Ghoul one is decent. Even the WAR pics don't do much for me. The Eberron ones are pretty "meh". Well done, just not very ...exciting(?)

None of those hold a candle to some of the 3E covers WAR has done- 3E ECS, and Secrets of Xendrik, for example- those covers are absolutely phenomenal. I can stare at those things for quite some time-reading the runes on rocks, details of wardrobes, or picking out all the little hard to see things in the background- great stuff.

chaotix42

First Post
None of those hold a candle to some of the 3E covers WAR has done- 3E ECS, and Secrets of Xendrik, for example- those covers are absolutely phenomenal. I can stare at those things for quite some time-reading the runes on rocks, details of wardrobes, or picking out all the little hard to see things in the background- great stuff.

The Eberron covers were good, but that inside two-page spread was the real money shot. I hope that the LoB is at the center of a similar spread. Can't really tell since he's so "OH HI" in-your-face.

Plissken

Explorer
I have a question. In the 4e Monster Manual they mention Chromatic Dragons but they don't stat it. Why? I thought it was errata at first.

Derren

Hero
I have a question. In the 4e Monster Manual they mention Chromatic Dragons but they don't stat it. Why? I thought it was errata at first.

There are chromatic dragons in the MM. I guess you mean metallic?
They were left out because of following reasoning:
Metallic dragons are good -> PCs don't fight good creatures -> When you don't fight it, it is not needed.

:cry:

Why oh why can't WAR update his online gallery? All this new art for Paizo and WotC that I can't file away in my digital art collection is killing me.

Love the Lord of Blades. Love it.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
The Eberron Campaign Guide cover should be like the cover of Rise of the Seventh Moon, the best (and so far only complete) depiction of Sharn ever:
You're missing half of it. You really need to see it in big. Philip Straub is amazing. Though I think it looks a bit too modern, too clean. But still pretty impressive!

EDIT: Looking at the cover of the book, the art guys at WotC have seemingly toned down the brightness to make it more fantasy-esque, which is a good thing.

Cheers, LT.

Last edited:

Remove ads