New Bill to Limit Copyright to 56 Years, Would be Retroactive

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The "retroactive" part has Constitutional problems - "no ex post facto law" - but the concept is sound.

It still has to go through (at least in theory) the committee process for legislation and persuade 51 Senators this is a good idea. Plenty of opportunity to polish the rough edges ... or disappear the proposal into a black hole.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The "retroactive" part has Constitutional problems - "no ex post facto law" - but the concept is sound.

It still has to go through (at least in theory) the committee process for legislation and persuade 51 Senators this is a good idea. Plenty of opportunity to polish the rough edges ... or disappear the proposal into a black hole.
Wouldn't it need 60 senators?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For this reason I think that it should be a scale involving time after the death of the author/creator, rather than a set time period. Say Life+10 years, or simply the life of the author/creator, with no inheritable rights. If you create something at 20 and live until 90 should you then potentially die a pauper?
I'd be all for a 3 tier system. Total control from 20 years or death of the creator, then something like a non-commercial creative commons license with some automatic default "creator gets X percentage of income made from the IP" until the death of the author, and then after that the only protection is that you have to be cited as the creator of the IP when the IP is used by others.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nope. Because this wouldn’t create retroactive criminal penalties.

The ex post facto clause is much more limited than most people realize.
You’re probably right on this one. Near as I can tell, Hawley’s proposal says nothing about changing the criminal penalties, just the duration.

OTOH, the First Amendment issues (doing this because Disney expressed a political opinion certain GOPers don’t like) and Fifth Amendment issues (taking property without due process) would remain significant barriers to this surviving a well-funded legal challenge.

(And I doubt Disney would be fighting this alone- amicus briefs would darken the skies.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases