[NEW] Campaign Design Notes: The Revelation of Tomorrow

MerakSpielman

First Post
Original thread was lost. Found a cached version, reposting with an update.

Hi. I've been away from ENworld for some time. But I thought I'd pop back in to share some notes I'm making for my upcoming NEW campaign.

This is my first time running a sci-fi game. The rules seem fairly straightforward, but I want to make sure I'm striking a good tone for the setting, making it sound interesting, etc.

Feedback and suggestions are more than welcome.

The Revelation of Tomorrow

Sci-Fi Campaign Notes
Merak Spielman

In the year 2350, much of what early “science fiction” had promised had become realized – even commonplace. From simple devices like hand-held scanners, to more complex ones like zero-gravity backpacks. Of course, being only human, we couldn’t resist developing tools of violence as well – disruptor rifles, microwave sniper rifles, and even a handheld energy weapon with the cheerful moniker “darkswarm disintegration system.” AI-controlled robots lobbied successfully for equal rights. We could – and did – develop space ships that carried humans across the solar system at significant fractions of the speed of light. We set about colonizing and exploiting our solar system, but one promise of science fiction continued to elude us – the ability to travel at speeds beyond that of light. We sent sub-lightspeed probes to all reasonably nearby systems, but alas, they found nothing but lifeless husks and gas giants. Fascinating from a scientific perspective, but nothing worth the economic cost of actually travelling there in person.

We had more or less resigned ourselves, as a species, to living in our home system forever.

But then came what could only be described as a miracle – or more commonly, the Revelation.

A burst of energy swept over our system, causing widespread confusion as electronic devices malfunctioned. Tens of thousands of robotic citizens perished. When the worst of it was over, we didn’t know how to interpret what our sensors and satellites were telling us. There were now currents, or conduits, of some sort of mysterious force connecting our star to others. With fairly simple technology, these currents could be entered, and travelled along, to other star systems so distant we had no way of knowing where they were relative to our own Sol.

We called these currents “Hyperlanes” and developed ships to explore where they led.

-------

Eighty years have passed, and the world has changed. 44 new systems have been explored and surveyed – at great danger to the explorers. Many ships returned, but many, many more did not, and certain Hyperlanes were simply deemed too dangerous to explore further at this time. Resources beyond measure were at our fingertips.

But something even more world-changing occurred. We met others – explorers like ourselves, traveling the Hyperlanes in vessels of their own making. Some friendly, some… more difficult to get along with. All of them thinking, like us, about how to use these worlds for their own purposes.

Diplomacy and trade have been established, and most people have now seen aliens in person with their own eyes.

Worlds have been colonized, and all the races have begun to spread closer to each other.

Most of the 44 systems are uninhabited, or at least, lacking worlds even capable of supporting life. But even so, what initially seemed like a universe of limitless bounty has quickly come to feel… much more limited.

Tensions have flared. Disputes have arisen. And many feel that, sooner or later, Interstellar War is inevitable.
But for now, at least, the Hyperlanes between the 44 systems seem safe enough to travelers.

But there is still so much to learn and explore.

There are rumors of ancient ruins on some of the more fringe worlds – which would indicate civilizations that rose and fell before our own.

The new businesses of piracy and smuggling are struggling to get off the ground, but as trade gets more commonplace and lucrative, they can only grow more powerful.

The six known civilizations with Hyperlane technology have begun to design larger and more powerful navies to defend their worlds.

And looming over everything is the Revelation itself. What caused these Hyperlanes to open? What is keeping them open? Some attribute them to natural, but as-yet unexplained, phenomena. Some say they were opened by divine intervention. Still others worry that they were somehow created, perhaps by alien technology we cannot grasp. They opened up the possibility of exploration and expansion, to be sure, but the spacefaring races have also never felt so vulnerable.

They are, after all, no longer protected by the vast wasteland between the stars.

MerakSpielman

First Post
I might need a lot of feedback here. I'm unfamiliar with the system, and I haven't bought the ship construction guide yet, so some terminology might be off.

Rules for Hyperlane Travel

Hyperlane travel is a unique form of faster-than-light drive. The systems connected by hyperlanes can be incredibly distant, even on opposite ends of the universe, and travelers might never know.

The analogy most commonly used is that of a stream or river. The technology that allows hyperlane travel more or less “tosses” the ship into the stream, where it is carried like a leaf to its destination. There is no known way to exit the hyperlane once it has been entered, nor can you reverse direction mid-voyage.
Hyperlanes flow in both directions simultaneously. Entering at one end carries you to the other, and entering at that end carries you back.

Hyperlane FTL drives need time charge up. Charging up takes a great deal of power, and most ships cannot generate enough to keep offensive and defensive systems active while charging. Depending on the quality of the FTL, charging could take anywhere from hours to days.

A trip along a hyperlane takes 4d6 days by default.

Each level of ship class adds one day to the travel time.

Successful LOG skill checks can subtract days from the travel time.

All trips take at least one full day.

LOG check results (nav computers and navigation skill can add dice to this check):
13 -1 day
16 -2 days
21 -3 days
25 -4 days
29 -5 days
33 -6 days
37 -7 days
40 -8 days
42 -9 days
45 -10 days

Exiting Hyperlanes is unpredictable. The navigator can make some last-minute adjustments to try to influence where the ship exits, but it’s akin to throwing a golf ball from the window of a train and trying to hit a target.

By default, the ship will exit the Hyperlane 6d6 AU from its intended destination within the target system. The remainder of the journey will need to be made at sub-light speeds. Depending on the engine of the ship, this will add days or weeks to the travel time.

A LOG check can be made to reduce this distance (again, nav computers and skill can help).

LOG check results to reduce distance to target when exiting hyperlane:
13 -1 AU
16 -2 AU
21 -3 AU
25 -4 AU
29 -5 AU
33 -6 AU
37 -7 AU
40 -8 AU
42 -9 AU
45 -10 AU

For safety, nav systems will not attempt to arrive within 1 AU of their target. This is to prevent the (mathematically remote) possibility of arriving inside the target. This safety system can be bypassed with a strenuous [25] LOG check. Making that check is the only way to arrive closer than 1 AU to a target, but a subsequent 6d6 is rolled. If all the dice are 6s, the ship is destroyed. There is only an approximate 1 in 46,000 chance of this happening, so many captains choose to take the risk. But with thousands of ships entering and exiting the hyperlanes every day, eventually somebody’s luck will run out, and experts suggest erring on the side of caution.

The unpredictability of hyperlane arrival makes governments nervous. It is quite possible for a ship, especially smaller ones which are difficult to locate and track, to enter and depart a system without ever being detected or observed. It is impossible to predict exactly when or where ships will arrive, even if their departure time and destination are known. This works in the favor of explorers and scouts, who can travel through systems owned by foreign governments without much risk. But it also makes it difficult to prevent smuggling and other illicit activities.

As a final note, it would be advisable for ships to carry enough supplies for the longest possible voyage, assuming the trip takes as long as it possibly can – plus some extra supplies for additional unexpected delays.

MerakSpielman

First Post
UPDATE:

I found an awesome program. It's a universe simulation called Space Engine. You can google and download it, it's free.

It's amazing to zoom around in. It's populated all the real data we have available, and the rest of the universe is filled in procedurally.

Once you figure out how to use the controls (not as easy as I expected), you can do and find some amazing things.

At this point, I'm using it to generate systems for my NEW campaign.

I accelerate to the max speed, and zip around the universe.
I pick a galaxy at random.
I fly into the galaxy, and pick a star at random.
I do a search for nearby systems (20 light years or so) and find an interesting one that supports life (because dead systems are boring, and there will be plenty of dead worlds in all these systems if I want them).
I goto that system, and explore it manually, making sure it's interesting. I really like binary systems -- or even 3- or 4- star systems. I REALLY like systems with black holes, but they're hard to find, especially ones with life in the same system.
I also like systems with lots of planets and moons. My setting might only have 44 known/explored systems, but when the players realize this means hundreds of planets and thousands of moons, they'll start to get a feeling for the scope of the universe, and why even the "explored" systems have so many surprises in store.

Once I decide it's a good candidate, I bookmark it.

I'm looking into ways to display this in the game room, on a wall or something, so when the players take a Hyperlane to a new system, or land on a new planet, I can actually show it to them.

I'm finding this a LOT more interesting and fun than using the random system generator tables in the book. The systems are more varied, and include things like two sets of binary stars (each with a system of planets) orbiting a barycenter, that the book's generator will never produce.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I saw Space Engine a while back. No Mac version, sadly, so I can't run it. But it looks phenomenal!

Remove ads