New Cantrip: Bigby's Extended Grasp

Caliban

Rules Monkey
The problem with the "special" isn't necessarily a balance problem--it's the complexity it introduces. Having a special cantrip which introduces additional rules for sorcery points isn't idiomatic for 5E. It's unaesthetic and clunky, and it adds that cognitive complexity cost for all PCs, not just sorcerers. ("Why do I have a cantrip that I can't fully use?") Also, now the DM has to decide which monsters weigh more or less than you and your gear. The cantrip is already complex ("weight limit is your casting stat times 15", scaling distance) and the special snowflake sorcery point rule is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Presumably you came here for design feedback, so there's my feedback: I'd let the cantrip in my campaign if you drop the special and change it to a regular action cantrip.

Personally I think all spells on the sorcerer list should have a "special" that can be activated by sorcery points. There's no "cognitive complexity" issue at all. If you aren't a sorcerer, it doesn't apply to you. Sorcerers have magic in their blood and can manipulate spells in a way no one else can. The current metamagic options are nice, but very limited.

When I have time I plan on going through the sorcerer spell list and adding "Sorcerer Specials" to all of them that it seems reasonable to do so.

But that's mainly a personal preference, as I like a higher level of magic in my campaigns. The special would probably be inappropriate in a campaign that didn't have the option on other spells, so feel free to ignore it. (Although I think will change that part of the spell in my game so that using the special will change the spell to an Action - it's generally better not to be able to move other creatures around using a bonus action.)

I really think that making the base cantrip an Action spell (instead of Bonus+movement) makes it far less useful, to the point I wouldn't take it on one of my characters.

The weight limit is exactly the same as a characters weight limit using their Strength stat, it just uses their casting stat since it's a magical effect. But perhaps it could be handled in a simpler way.

Scaling distance is no more complicated than scaling damage that is already used on current offensive cantrips.

Remove ads