• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E New Character Sheet Generator for D&D 4e

divide0

First Post
A few months ago, I got sick of trying to get the WotC character builder to actually print without taking over 1GB of memory.

I created an alternate character sheet using XSLT on the character builder files.

The main changes are a simplification of the power card layout (only listing primary weapon, for example).

Give it a shot if you feel like it. I can't promise it will work 100% for all characters, so double check your sheets to make sure it has everything you need.

Requires Firefox.

http://character-sheet.appspot.com/

Last edited:

Kannik

Hero
Nice work. I do like the icons at the bottom of each card making it very easy to see the action type (especially keep track of immediate powers), icons for the power source type, good layout, large size of the attack/damage bits, the inclusion of the entire feat or ability text, all good stuff. I wouldn't mind an option to include all weapon types on the cards, though I know you specifically turned that off. :p

Thanks for sharing this with us all!

peace,

Kannik

divide0

First Post
I should have said that this sheet was designed for Firefox. It might not work properly in IE or Chrome.

I forgot to mention some additional features. For item powers, each power gets its own card with proper coloring (red for encounter, for example), so you can play them like any normal power.

Also, when printing, you can click on a card to hide it when printing. This means that if you get a new item or power, you don't have to print out all of your cards. When leveling up, you can print only the cards that have numbers that changed.

To print, set your margins to near 0 and turn off your headers and footers. Use the print preview to make sure everything will be layed out properly.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
This is very nice! I'm a big fan of one-page character sheets, and this delivers!

Question: Am I right in saying that the actual ability scores do not appear? I see the modifiers, but not the scores. Not a complaint, just a question.

Suggestion: If you need to save space, I don't personally feel like the descriptions of the languages add much. No complaints about including them, though.

Seriously, this is very, very cool!

D'karr

Adventurer
[MENTION=6686907]divide0[/MENTION], congratulations. I'm super impressed.

I would love to see a page character sheet that emulates the pregen characters, or even the monster stat blocks. Where instead of cards the sheet shows a small block of info for each power organized in action type order.

You have motivated me with this layout.

-

divide0

First Post
Question: Am I right in saying that the actual ability scores do not appear? I see the modifiers, but not the scores. Not a complaint, just a question.

Suggestion: If you need to save space, I don't personally feel like the descriptions of the languages add much. No complaints about including them, though.

Yes, the ability scores don't appear, since the sheet is designed for playing the game, not managing your character (that is what the character builder is for). Personally, I think WotC should have gotten rid of the ability score concept and just gone with ability modifiers. The 3-18 range is a relic of the 3d6 rolling method that nobody uses any longer.

You will also notice that there is no duplication of information. For example, the player stat card gives the hit points, so it isn't on the main character sheet.

I agree that the descriptions of the languages do not add anything and are not needed.

I think the sheet works great for heroic tier and ok for the first half of paragon tier, but it may need to be modified to handle the last half of paragon tier and above.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I tried making use of this tool today to print out my wife's character sheet, and I had some odd results.

When I try the app in Chrome, it actually looks beautiful on the screen, but it prints out oddly. Rather than having the boxes formatted in nice tables as they appear on the screen, they end up in a long list down multiple pages.

When I use Firefox (which I know you said is what you made this for), the formatting looks a little off on the screen, but the printout is much better; the tables are preserved properly. However, the coloring for the at will / encounter / daily powers seems to be absent. Everything prints with white backgrounds (and yes, I'm using a color printer). This is even the case in the print preview.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Is it just my printer?

divide0

First Post
When I use Firefox (which I know you said is what you made this for), the formatting looks a little off on the screen, but the printout is much better; the tables are preserved properly. However, the coloring for the at will / encounter / daily powers seems to be absent. Everything prints with white backgrounds (and yes, I'm using a color printer). This is even the case in the print preview.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Is it just my printer?

Under the file menu in firefox (ALT+F), choose Page Setup. Make sure the "Print Background" option is checked.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Under the file menu in firefox (ALT+F), choose Page Setup. Make sure the "Print Background" option is checked.

<slaps forehead> Yup, that does it. Thank you!

This does create one other problem for me. With the background now being printed, the skills that are trained are now showing up as solid black diamonds, with the value of the skill check blacked out. Any idea what I should do about this one?

Power%20Card%20blackout.jpg

divide0

First Post
<slaps forehead>
This does create one other problem for me. With the background now being printed, the skills that are trained are now showing up as solid black diamonds, with the value of the skill check blacked out. Any idea what I should do about this one?

Power%20Card%20blackout.jpg

This only happens when you print? It shows up normally in the main browser window and in print preview?

What version of Firefox do you have?

What is happening there is that the diamond icon is not being scaled down to fit in the row. Most of the icons in my character sheet are applied as background images and scaled to fit using the browser's ability to use the CSS3 "background-size: contain" property.

You can check if your browser supports that CSS3 feature by going to the following URL:

Playit

If the smiley face icon is scaled to fit the box height, your browser should be able to handle it.

Remove ads