D&D (2024) New Classes for 5e. Is anything missing?

Is there a good case for additional class for the base experience of 5th edition D&D

• Yes. Bring on the new classes!

Votes: 28 19.9%
  • Yes. There are maybe few classes missing in the shared experience of D&D in this edition

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • Yes, but it's really only one class that is really missing

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Depends. Multiclass/Feats/Alternates covers most of it. But new classes needed if banned

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Depends. It depends on the mechanical importance at the table

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No, but new classes might be needed for specific settings or genres

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • No, but a few more subclasses might be needed to cover the holes

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • No, 5th edition covers all of the base experience with its roster of classes.

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • No. And with some minor adjustments, a few classes could be combined.

Votes: 23 16.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.4%

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't really have strong feeling on classes. It is not like they are as core to the game as alignment. ;-)

But I think I would like to have class building to be more a collection of feats and traits that that you can use to build your concept, with a the core, traditional classes provided as examples and for people that just want to get up an running quickly. They don't even have to rip out the current classes. Just put new optional character build rules in the DMG that have been play tested and balanced, which if used, would not make the traditional classes and subclasses completely obsolete.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I would like at least three new well throughout classes.
a proper arcane half caster that fits the fantasy in our head of being the magic knight but with something to make it own is own thing, not the taster that is the eldritch knight or the artificer with it 2/3 casting.
I am once again advocating for a blood Mage class. It's not really a legacy D&D class, but any magic-based blood-ritual user is something I like.

You can get kinda, almost close to that with Warlock using Vampiric Touch and being a gish-type but it's missing so much that it isn't even real.

My current brainstorm for a 5e bloodmage is to have a half-caster with medium armor proficiency, martial weapon proficiency and a d6 HD. Every level, they get temporary HP permanently added onto their regular hit points equal to their intelligence modifier. Their temporary hit points recover on a long rest.

They're melee-based with extra attack and Arcane, Sorcerer-like spells. They can expend their temporary hit points to cast a leveled spell as a bonus action equal to the number of temporary hit points they expend.

By level 11, they get a feature that let's them collect blood from non-undead/construct/elemental enemies to fuel their bonus action spellcasting.

This is very hard to balance, though. I really need to scrutinize it further.

Edit: I became my own worse enemy. I wrote their instead of they're. 🤢

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Covered by Subclasses already.
Poorly yes.
Artificier already has this covered, maybe the right flavor of Paladin or Ranger could work too.
Aftificer is more Rogue/Mage. And the arceney Ranger and Paladin subclasses are not very magey at all.

The Fighter already has this covered.
I don't see any Chaos Champion, Samson, Hercules, Achilles, or Grail Knight with super strength, steel skin, and agelessness in any of my books.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Poorly yes.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Aftificer is more Rogue/Mage. And the arceney Ranger and Paladin subclasses are not very magey at all.
The Artificer can swing from Fighterish to Rogueish depending on Subcclass, again a feature, not a bug. The Paladin and Ranger can be made Magey with the right festures: see Xanathar's and Tasha's for examples.
Chaos Champion
Path of Wild Magic Barbarian
Berserker Barbarian
Berserker Barbarian
Oath of Heroism Paladin
Grail Knight with super strength, steel skin, and agelessness in any of my books.
Oath of the Ancients Paladin.

Laurefindel

Legend
I'm all good with the classes we have. There are a few blind spots, but that's ok with me; a game/setting is defined as much by what it has than what it hasn't.

Which means that a specific setting could have a dedicated class to cover that specific gap (artificer for Eberron, psion for Dark Sun, Warlord for Birthright perhaps), but i'm not even sold on the artificer being open "outside" Eberron.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Path of Wild Magic Barbarian

Berserker Barbarian

Berserker Barbarian

Oath of Conquest Paladin

Oath of the Ancients Paladin.
Nope

d12 HD
Martial weapons
All armors
Invocations like a Warlock
Choice of Super Strength, Super Speed, or Steel Skin
Extra Attack at level 5
Power Attack at level 11
Uncapped STR, DEX, CON
Subclasses of Demigod, Chosen, Monsterbood, or Alchemical Soldier

That's how you do Samson, Hercules, Achilles, Louen Leoncoeur, Steve Rogers, and Gilgamesh

That'll be $50k, WOTC. I take payment in rum, cookies, metal dice, painted minis, and steak vouchers. You owe me for coming up with the Hunter subclass.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nope

d12 HD
Martial weapons
All armors
Invocations like a Warlock
Choice of Super Strength, Super Speed, or Steel Skin
Extra Attack at level 5
Power Attack at level 11
Uncapped STR, DEX, CON
Subclasses of Demigod, Chosen, Monsterbood, or Alchemical Soldier

That's how you do Samson, Hercules, Achilles, Louen Leoncoeur, Steve Rogers, and Gilgamesh

That'll be $50k, WOTC. I take payment in rum, cookies, metal dice, painted minis, and steak vouchers. You owe me for coming up with the Hunter subclass.
Doesn't seem to cover any ground not serviced by the Monk, Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger, and Paladin as it is. Ki, Smite, Rage, etc. already cover all of this. 4 attacks per action is already Super speed.

Remove ads