new construct - Fascinatrix

Devon

First Post
I think this is the D&D equivalent of the old Magic: The Gathering tactic of putting Lure on a Basilisk with Regeneration. : )

- Devon

Fascinatrix (Huge construct)
Hit Dice: 8d10 (45 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (can't run)
AC: 20 (-2 size, +12 natural)
Attacks: 8 claws +11 melee
Damage: claw 1d10+5
Face/Reach: 10 ft. by 10 ft., 10 ft.
Special attacks: fascinating beacon, whirling blades
Special Qualities: all-around vision, regeneration 10/magic or +3 weapon
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 10, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 20
Skills: Spot +4, Search +4
Climate/Terrain: any
Organization: solitary
Challenge Rating: 5 (suggest 6)
Treasure: none
Alignment: always neutral
Advancement: 9 - 16 HD (Large), 17 - 24 HD (Huge)

The Fascinatrix is a shiny, heavily-armored, brass-plated construct standing 25 feet tall, shaped something like a bizarre, gothic candlestick holder, or a strange alien mushroom. At its base is a whirling array of arachnid legs tipped with wicked claws--when it is stationary, these become weapons. It's upper portion is a beacon, an immense, glassy ovoid banded with brass, and filled with dancing motes of colored light. When activated, this beacon fascinates all creatures that can see it, which then move to get as close to it as possible.

Combat:
The heavily armed and armored Fascinatrix is used to draw enemy troops to itself, much like the Harpy uses its song to lure sailors to their doom. Although it is usually placed to take advantage of natural hazards (so that troops will toss themselves into ravines or canyons), there are any number of strategic placements for a Fascinatrix, and it can just as easily puree enemies that get close to it.

Fascinating Beacon (Su): When the Fascinatrix is illuminated, all creatures within a 300-foot spread must succeed at a Will save (DC 19) or become utterly captivated. This is a visual, mind-affecting charm. If the save is successful, that creature cannot be affected again by that Fascinatrix for one day. A captivated victim walks toward the Fascinatrix, taking the most direct route available. If the path leads into a dangerous area, that creature gets a second saving throw. Captivated creatures can take no actions other than to defend themselves. A victim within 5 feet of the Fascinatrix stands there and offers no resistance to the construct's attacks. The effect continues for as long as the Fascinatrix is illuminated. Creative use of illusions or other distractions allows a captivated creature to attempt a new Will save.

The creator can fashion spectacles which render the wearer immune to this effect.

Whirling blades (Ex): As a full attack action, the Fascinatrix can make one claw attack against each opponent within 5 feet

Regeneration (Su): The Fascinatrix repairs itself of all damage except damage from a magical source (magic missile, fireball). Magical weapons do not count unless they are +3 or better.

All-around vision (Ex): The Fascinatrix has gemstone eyes arranged radially about itself, and cannot be surprised or flanked. It gains a +4 racial bonus to Spot and Search checks.

Deranged Youth

First Post
Yow, powerful! I would at least allow another save once being hit by its attacks... only fair, right?
Also, how does one make one of these? Cost, spells, level, etc?

Devon

First Post
blast!

Blast, I knew I had forgotten something. I'll have to come up with the creation data in a while.

I patterned the power off of the Harpy's song, which specifically states that the victims stand helpless before its attacks.

However, this is an enchanted machine, so it might not be out of the question to allow another save, although with the huddled masses pressing you towards the machine, it'd be hard to get away... : )

- Devon

Remove ads