• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Dukes of Hell article

Treebore

First Post
Is it in the books of Fiends that clerics are limited to spells of third level and lower? Or is this something new/old for 4E?

Nifft said:
Dukes of Baator

Just th' ex-good boys,
Locked deep in the Hells,
Beats all you've ever heard, been in trouble with the Lord since the day they rebelled.

Stealin' the souls,
Markin' your kill.
Someday the Law might get 'em, but th' Gods never will.

Makin' their pacts,
The only way they know how,
That's just a little bit more than the Gods will allow.

Just th' ex-good boys,
Wouldn't bow to th' Man,
Fightin' the system like a true modern day Caliban.

- - -

Y'all come back now, y'hear? -- N
Of course, you know I have to kill you now, right?

WyzardWhately

First Post
I suppose, with the new edition, they have a chance to finally clean up the entire CR spectrum. I know that CR is no longer really a part of the game, but there's something similar replacing it. I would really like them to plan this out better beforehand this time. Eliminating extra-core Epic levels of play will probably help. You know, I really want them to sit down and say. "This thing X is going to be the highest CR in the game. There is nothing more badass than this greater diety (or whatever) in the whole game setting. So, he gets the highest XP value. This Goblin has an XP value of (whatever). So. Let's figure out where everything goes in between them. We can just put markers in place for monsters we're going to release in later books."

So, we don't end up with weirdness like wondering if a Duke of Hell can beat up an aborted god-fetus or silly crap like that. Or wondering, hey, is that the real Asmodeus' stats, or just an aspect, or should I increase them because the PC's fought tougher things already that shouldn't really be tougher than Asmodeus, or...

Come on, WotC, let's have a unified scale of badassery that we all can look upon. Bring order to the multiverse with this initiative.

Incidentally, I do think that PCs should be able to, at high levels of play, roll out there and smack down dieties. I know not everyone agrees with me, and consider that largely a matter of personal taste. I will not try and convince anyone to change their mind. So I can see the value of having an option of whether the stats are the real diety or simply an aspect. But this should be doable without the confusion of 'why can't this diety beat up thing X?'

Glyfair

Explorer
catsclaw227 said:
I am guessing that they learned something from all the complaints about the aspects of Devils in the FCII not being powerful enough and just said, "OK fine, here you go. Full devil critters."
It also could be the approach they intend to take with 4E.

Ryltar

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
I recall someone at WOTC saying that all the articles are going to be compiled into a single formatted download at the end of the month. Like a PDF magazine.

Yes, I heard that, too - but it doesn't explain the disparity between Dungeon and Dragon, since they're apparently compiling both in an monthly download. Well, we'll see ...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads