D&D (2024) (+) New Edition Changes for Inclusivity (discuss possibilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Funny use of the term "dimension".

You cannot walk, take a boat, or fly to The Abyss. It is not on the same plane of existence. I am not sure how you can call it the same dimension.

Well, I'm not sure the exact right term to use here. It isn't like Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Eberron, Mystara, Darksun ect use the same exact cosmology.

If you want me to say "from outside this crystal sphere of influence but not one of the planes of existence we are typically familair with which may also lay outside of that crystal sphere" I can. But I think my point was understood.

That and the whole NE Yugoloth as uncaring evil and nihilistic creatures fit wells with the idea of unfathomable evil: the human mind can kinda understand evil for a goal, with an end game, but evil just for the sake of evilness is pretty hard to grasp. You could add the whole 4e's abominations to them: they were created living-weapons made by both camps of the God vs Primordials. In this new version of the Yugoloth, they could craft abominations as weapon sold across the planes to fuel cosmic wars.

That is an interesting direction to take them, less armies and more like the Daelkyr of Eberron, crafting horrors.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
That is an interesting direction to take them, less armies and more like the Daelkyr of Eberron, crafting horrors.

You know what? I'd keep the whole army thing, but make them more like war profiteers and gun runners, selling abominations and the services of the yugoloth armies to both sides. The Dealkyr and other Elder Evils would be nice Yugoloth leaders.

That and the whole NE Yugoloth as uncaring evil and nihilistic creatures fit wells with the idea of unfathomable evil: the human mind can kinda understand evil for a goal, with an end game, but evil just for the sake of evilness is pretty hard to grasp. You could add the whole 4e's abominations to them: they were created living-weapons made by both camps of the God vs Primordials. In this new version of the Yugoloth, they could craft abominations as weapon sold across the planes to fuel cosmic wars.

So, Yugoloth as an Aberrant species that is mercenary.

For some reason, it took me time to get used to the idea, but it makes so much sense.

I like it alot.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The only NE Daemon with a distinct "personality" that I can think of offhand is Charon (embodiment of death by old age). Having aberrations as NE would fit them - all about themselves and no concern for anybody else - and fill a conceptual void.

Since Lovecraft is problematic,

and since insanity is hard work to design sensitively and accurately,

a different approach seems useful.

Personally, I tend to view Aberrants as Neutral Evil, as the missing species between Devil and Demon, seeking to disintegrate reality itself, namely the Material Plane, and doing so by means of evil wishes − and reality warping.

Aberrations are both the consequences of disintegrating reality, and the vehicles of temptation granting wish-like capabilities, at a price.
like Pathfidner daemons?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
That and the whole NE Yugoloth as uncaring evil and nihilistic creatures fit wells with the idea of unfathomable evil: the human mind can kinda understand evil for a goal, with an end game, but evil just for the sake of evilness is pretty hard to grasp.

Are the CN Slaadi and CE Demon motivations that much more fathomable? (Is chaos more likely to lack goals and an endgame?)

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Are the CN Slaadi and CE Demon motivations that much more fathomable? (Is chaos more likely to lack goals and an endgame?)

Sladdi are a weird bunch, but they have an endgame: breed. On the opposite, it feels that I they were to face extinction they would probably just go ''...meh''.

The endgame of demons is annihilation, you can go to a demon and ask him ''so...why are we doing this again?'' and he'll say ''I do evil so that your universe will be consumed by nothingness''.

Go to an aberrant yugoloth with the same question and he'll go ''I dunno man, because I can? I dont really think of it, I make weapon and go kill stuff because...I really dont know dude''. Maybe they do have a reason and goal, but its beyond our comprehension to do evil for absolutely no-reason, not even for the lol.

I see these things like this:

Beastie Boys: ''no sleep 'till Brooklyn''
Devils: ''no sleep till total domination''
Demons: ''no sleep till total anihilation''
Slaadi: ''no sleep till one more of us, again an again''
Yugoloth: ''no sleep till.....-blank-''.

Wishbone

Paladin Radmaster
Sladdi are a weird bunch, but they have an endgame: breed. On the opposite, it feels that I they were to face extinction they would probably just go ''...meh''.

The endgame of demons is annihilation, you can go to a demon and ask him ''so...why are we doing this again?'' and he'll say ''I do evil so that your universe will be consumed by nothingness''.

Go to an aberrant yugoloth with the same question and he'll go ''I dunno man, because I can? I dont really think of it, I make weapon and go kill stuff because...I really dont know dude''. Maybe they do have a reason and goal, but its beyond our comprehension to do evil for absolutely no-reason, not even for the lol.

I see these things like this:

Beastie Boys: ''no sleep 'till Brooklyn''
Devils: ''no sleep till total domination''
Demons: ''no sleep till total annihilation''
Slaadi: ''no sleep till one more of us, again an again''
Yugoloth: ''no sleep till.....-blank-''.

Yugoloths do it for the lulz. What they do with the lulz is a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases