• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New errata posted, stealth changes official

I have a question about the stealth errata. In a game with precise positioning of tokens or minis on a battlemat how does one "guess" the location of a stealthed target? Looking at the battle map it would seem pretty obvious.

WalterKovacs

First Post
The same issues come up with invisible targets. They go 'off' the grid, and people that know where the character is has to track that information. The game I DM has a drow as a PC, so I need to be able to bring up a darkness cloud when I need it. It goes behind the DM screen, and only the drow gets to see where characters are. For the monsters, I would use a random roll of which adjacent square they attack, assuming they don't attack the last square they thought someone was in.

The DM should remove hidden monsters from the map an put their position on a secondary grid [we use modules, so I put them on the map in the book]. The players have to guess where it is, based on where it disappeared from, how fast they've seen it move, perception checks, etc. As a DM, I have to decide what the monsters would do, and not take my knowing where the character is into account. So basically, if the monster would assume the character didn't leave the square they were in, they would attack that square, otherwise they would try to find a better target. If they have to attack a square and they aren't "sure he was there a minute ago" I would roll, probably a d8, and have him attack one of the squares next to him [eliminate squares he knows aren't viable targets].

The same issues come up with invisible targets. They go 'off' the grid, and people that know where the character is has to track that information. The game I DM has a drow as a PC, so I need to be able to bring up a darkness cloud when I need it. It goes behind the DM screen, and only the drow gets to see where characters are. For the monsters, I would use a random roll of which adjacent square they attack, assuming they don't attack the last square they thought someone was in.

The DM should remove hidden monsters from the map an put their position on a secondary grid [we use modules, so I put them on the map in the book]. The players have to guess where it is, based on where it disappeared from, how fast they've seen it move, perception checks, etc. As a DM, I have to decide what the monsters would do, and not take my knowing where the character is into account. So basically, if the monster would assume the character didn't leave the square they were in, they would attack that square, otherwise they would try to find a better target. If they have to attack a square and they aren't "sure he was there a minute ago" I would roll, probably a d8, and have him attack one of the squares next to him [eliminate squares he knows aren't viable targets].

That seems like an awful lot of hassle for something that comes up so often. Thanks for the suggestions. I did play in a game once where my character was blinded and played the rest of the combat turned away from the table. I had to tell the GM where I moved on my turn and had to make decisions based on where everyone was when I could last see them. It was really satisfying to turn in place and actually clobber a guy that was behind me without "knowing" he was there.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I think the biggest problem rogues have versus the other strikers is not the problem of gaining combat advantage every turn, but the fact that a lot of the places you have to go to get combat advantage are quite unsafe. Flanking a guy sometimes means standing in the middle of his buddies, who then smack you around.

Meanwhile, the ranger is shooting arrows from 40 squares away.

Indeed. You can do some okay damage w/o it, but to do *actual* damage you need to sneak attack, which is kinda hard to do if it's a 2-square wide corridor.

Brad

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads