New Feat: Eilistraee's Evasion

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I don't think that adding pre-requisites would balance the feat as it is currently written. (Although they would make it unattainable except by some really really odd 1st level human or strongheart halfling cleric with non-standard house rule domains--I don't think that any core rules character can have four feats at first level and you initially wanted this feat to be only available at first level).

It seems like the intent of the feat is to make the character hard for less mobile and manueverable characters to hit. The other feats and abilities which do similar things are a good deal less variable in scope.

Dodge: +1 vs 1 opponent
Mobility: +4 to AC in special circumstances
Psionic Dodge: +1 vs 1 opponent--stacks with dodge
Ectoplasmic Armor: +4 armor bonus (this is a non-stacking armor bonus, a psionic feat, and I believe something of a special case)
Expertise: +1 to +5 to AC in return for -1 to -5 to hit (Scales with BAB)
Bladesong/Canny Defense: Int bonus to AC (prestige class ability, scales with level; in most campaigns will amount to no more than +3 or +4; IIRC, precludes the use of armor)
Monk's Wisdom bonus: (Class feature, scales with level, in most campaigns, no more than +3 or +4 until very high level, precludes the use of armor)

As I see it, most of the feats are very limited--either very low bonusses or only apply in very limited circumstances (and in that case, rarely exceed +4). The class abilities are slightly better--they will often add as much as +6 at high levels. However, at mid to low levels, they more typically add +2 to +3 (maybe +4 if enhanced by magic or a very high-powered campaign). Even then, most class abilities of this nature preclude the use of any armor (which is quite significant because even the worst armor--padded--could be expected to add +6 to AC at high levels).

By contrast, this feat allows a +5 armor bonus at first level (chain shirt and buckler) and would allow a up to a +16 armor bonus at high levels (+5 mithril breastplate, +5 buckler) and special armor abilities (spell resistance, fortification, etc on armor is a very significant advantage vs. non-armored characters). Consequently, it should be more similar to dodge, psionic dodge and mobility than to the duelist's canny dodge or the monk's wisdom bonus to AC.

Along the lines of that sort of power, a useful feat which would accomplish your desire would be more along the lines of:

-Treat your dexterity as if it were 2 points higher for the purpose of determining your dex bonus to AC.
-Add +2 to your AC against any opponent wearing medium or heavy armor
-Add +2 to your AC if your opponent wears medium armor or +3 if your opponent is wearing heavy armor.

(Any of these would still be useful even with dodge and mobility as prerequisites--if you want expertise as well, I would go for the second or the third option, or for a very high powered feat "treat your dex as if it were 4 points higher for the purpose of dex bonus to AC")

Using the feat this way would provide for the following:
A fourth level elvish fighter: Dex 18, dodge, spring attack, mobility, expertise, Ellistrae's evasion, +1 chain shirt, +1 buckler
AC=23 to 25 depending upon the suggested version of this feat. (25 to 30 using expertise)

Compare this to the "lumbering tank" defensive build:
4th level fighter: Dex 12, dodge, mobility, expertise, power attack, cleave, +1 full plate, +1 large shield
AC=23 to 24 (25 to 28 using expertise)

The Ellistrae's evasion feat (as I suggest it) makes its user harder to hit than the "tank" warrior.

As the feat is suggested, the same 4th level elvish fighter would have an AC of 28 against the "tank" warrior which strikes me as unreasonable unless you want a campaign in which nobody wears heavy armor.

Remove ads