D&D 5E New Feats Survey!

Filled it in, thanks. A lot of Feats could do with a bit of tweaking one way or another. 5E has some somewhat confused ideas as to what Feats are for, with 3E-style "enabling" Feats like Charger, which absolutely should not exist under 5E's stated philosophy, a ton of Feats which aren't quite "taxes" but are 80% of the way there, and a bunch of "so weak or niche it's kind of insulting and/or a trap to newer or less system-savvy players".

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Filled it in, thanks. A lot of Feats could do with a bit of tweaking one way or another. 5E has some somewhat confused ideas as to what Feats are for, with 3E-style "enabling" Feats like Charger, which absolutely should not exist under 5E's stated philosophy, a ton of Feats which aren't quite "taxes" but are 80% of the way there, and a bunch of "so weak or niche it's kind of insulting and/or a trap to newer or less system-savvy players".
The feats are all 100% bonus, so none of them can be taxes of any type. You don't need any of them to be functional.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Strictly speak no but warcaster or the con save one are almost a feat tax or about as close to it as 5E gets.
How do you figure? If you are in a game with no feats at all, you do great as a caster and/or without that con save one. I mean, a lot of them are good to have and make things easier, but none of them are close to taxes. Being so good that you want to always take the feat doesn't make it a tax. It probably just means that it's overpowered.

The feats are all 100% bonus, so none of them can be taxes of any type. You don't need any of them to be functional.
Obviously I disagree and simply stating the philosophy doesn't do anything but remind me of why I disagree. Charger for example allows you to do something possible in virtually every previous edition of D&D, including the most recent ones and charges you a Feat for it. That fits poorly with that philosophy. There should have been a charge rule in 5E and Charger should just have made you really good at it, not been required to charge at all.

I do agree that none are full, true Feat taxes though, unlike 3E, just well on the way there (War Caster for certain classes if your DM enforces spell component rules, frex). And it's because of the confused/inconsistent design of the PHB Feats, I don't think anything in later books has the issue.

Last edited:

Remove ads