• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Fighter Build: Shieldbearer

andarilhor

First Post
New Fighter Talent: Shieldbearer

When you wield a shield, you gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class and Reflex.

When an adjacent ally is attacked by a enemy marked by you, you can grant that ally your shield bonus to AC and Reflex as a immediatte interrupt.

Soon I will be posting powers based in this option.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
I don't think a shield bearing fighter would be a bad idea, I'm just curious as to how it will be different from sword and board? Please, could you elaborate? Thank you and best wishes with seeing this to fruition :)

Starfox

Hero
The current advantage of having a shield (+2 AC) is quite sufficient. There is no need to make shield-fighters more powerful. Its a case of overspecialization; it is almost always better to get a bonus to your most important attribute (for a fighter; AC) than to a secondary one (for a fighter: attack bonus).

I could see a rule giving defenders a +1 AC across the board, as they seem a little defensively weak atm, but that's a different can of worms.

Khaalis

Adventurer
I don't think a shield bearing fighter would be a bad idea, I'm just curious as to how it will be different from sword and board? Please, could you elaborate? Thank you and best wishes with seeing this to fruition :)
I too like the idea of a shield specialized fighter. It brings to mind images of a Captain America style fighter.

Some Ideas off the top of my head:
* Shield Bashes - damaging shield attacks
* Shield Slams - pushing powers
* Shield Throw - ranged shield attack
* Phalanx - more protecting others near you
* Spear Focus - bonuses to powers when using a spear with a shield
* Shield Utilities - utility powers focused on the shield (legolas shield slide?)

andarilhor

First Post
Just to start, 2 at-will powers:

Shieldbearer´s Lure
You atracts the wrath of your enemy to makes him attacks you out of timing.
At-Will ♦ Martial
Standard Action Close
burst 1
Requirements: You must be wielding a shield.
Target: a enemy marked by you in the burst
Effect: the target makes a basic melee attack against you, if it misses, he loses its standard action in its next turn, if it hits, he´s no longer marked.

Making a Opening
You hits with your shield making your enemy open to your next attack.
At-Will ♦ Martial
Standard Action Melee 1
Requirements: You must be wielding a shield.
Target: one enemy
Attack: Str vs AC
Hit: 1d4+Str mod damage, makes a secondary attack against the same target.
Secondary Attack: Str vs Reflex
Hit: 1W+Str mod damage

andarilhor

First Post
I too like the idea of a shield specialized fighter. It brings to mind images of a Captain America style fighter.

Some Ideas off the top of my head:
* Shield Bashes - damaging shield attacks
* Shield Slams - pushing powers
* Shield Throw - ranged shield attack
* Phalanx - more protecting others near you
* Spear Focus - bonuses to powers when using a spear with a shield
* Shield Utilities - utility powers focused on the shield (legolas shield slide?)

I will take this ideas in count ;)
My idea is a more defending fighter, more focused in attracting the attacks to him and away from the allies.

Cadfan

First Post
I wouldn't want a new build since the current one handed weapon / shield option for the fighter is good enough, but, I wouldn't mind more shield related powers. So I will read to see what you come up with.

Remove ads