• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

new generator lists

turtle

First Post
Personally I would suggest leaving out Unicorn and changing Wraith style to ghost style. Stuff like manticore and chimera are a little western sounding...

Wicht

Hero
hehe - this game is such a hodge podge of ideas i figure if a western unicorn gets mixed up with the easter ki-rin they will have to look after themselves.

By no means do we have to do this - though it was something Tsin was pushing for back in the committee and I think the discussion is always good - but if we did, people who by chance lost a style would be able to pick another to replace it.

reiella

Explorer
Hmmm... I think it is a good idea (I'd like defenses to be more appropiately split) as as a judge at least I do tend to consider defense interactions... when I do judge at least.

I can almost get myself to believe that the fishing potential for the styles that 'gained' defenses to be similiar to the fishing for styles without defenses. It would be more 'difficult' to fish for a defense against some of the styles that 'lost' defenses but not too sure that is an effective concern.

I will suggest no official weighting either way, but possibly a mention in the rules for judges to consider defenses (as a typical 'pitfall' of judges to weigh aggressive over defense).

It is something I would like to see in all truth, but I'm slightly reluctant.

Vanor

First Post
I'm not really against the idea persay. Just wanted to point something out.

As far as removing styles... I guess provided we give it a bit, so people could see what styles where being removed and someone could comment on it if they wished. Then it would be ok with me... But if someone did say they wanted a style to stay for IC reasons, I'd say we need to keep it.

Also provided that the defense doesn't match up exactly, it would help some. Someone could fish for a defense and have the judge not think the term used matched up properly with the style used.

Wicht

Hero
I don't want them to match up anymore than lizard and snake match up with reptile. However as a judge I already give rodent slight weight against rat and rabbit moves which means that currently some moves without a defense are actually slightly better.

I do not think however fishing will be anymore of a problem then it is at the moment. Lets face it, this will not turn any honest fighter dishonest nor will it make dishonest fighters get worse.

Jin Chi

First Post
I agree with Wicht.

Those that are going to cheat will do so no matter what changes we make to the generator.

I like cleaning up the styles and making relevant defenses for everything....

We should purge some of the Western sounding styles.... Unicorn just feels wrong to me. Manta Ray is totally out there. And although it is more genre-specific, I think chopstick is lame. I wouldn't miss it if it went away.

If someone's signature style goes away, they should get to pick a replacement.

I think there should also be 1 general defense for each category: animal, weapon, beast, plant, weather.....almost like wild cards.....

Zappo

Explorer
Here are my opinions as I read the thread:

I agree with GD - lotus blossom should stay, and angel/demon/wraith seem a little out of place.

I'm kinda getting to like Manta Ray... it's a cool animal and it sounds good. What about adding another aquatic creature and "fish" as the defense?

Agreed that the whole thing should not become an official guideline for judgine moves. That kind of thing should stay with the individual judge.

The best reason for the change IMO is that as things stand now there are certain styles that are slightly more powerful, just because there's no fitting defense against them, and some are weaker because there are rather specific defenses (rodent vs. rat, blade vs. a lot of styles...).

Oh, I don't like chopsticks, too.

Relevant bit: What will happen to the fighter who have signature styles that will vanish? I have a vested interested in this... ;)

Wicht

Hero
If we ever changed any style or location, a person with that style or location would always get to pick a new one regardless of the circumstances. Its only right.

Perhaps for phoenix pair it up with thunderbird, and take out the thunder style and change it to lightning?

Perhaps for the other pairing make it the Kraken and the Leviathan? Those are both legendary sea creatures...

Remove ads