New Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Original as in, so terrible it made you want to scratch out your own eyeballs. Calling it a comedy is debatable, since that would require writing jokes.

I'm relieved this is as far away removed from Fieg's abysmal attempt at a reboot. It was an abomination that does not deserve the Ghostbusters name. Plus, allow me to express by hatred for any movie stealing the exact title as an iconic movie, and wearing its skin to fool people into watching it.

You know, this is a movie. An idle entertainment.

At least we now know what kind of perspective you keep on that, to know if/how to engage with you on the topic.

This leans way too hard on Ghostbusters I for me. Demon dogs, Stay-Puft marshmallows, etc., and the hyper-reverent tone (pretty sure the original was a comedy created by a team of folks coked-up to their eyeballs) all feel like big red flags.

I know a lot of people didn't like the Paul Fieg Ghostbusters reboot, but it least it was a comedy that took an original approach to the core ideas.
I really, really, really wanted to like the Ghostbusters reboot, especially given how awful a lot of the most vocal haters were.

But sheesh. It was just a drag.

At the same time, I totally take your point. It's easy for people to forget how much of a goofy, all-out comedy the original Ghostbusters was. I watched it recently and I was amazed at how short the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man scene was. Which was good! A standard present-day take on that whole sequence would have been five times longer with tons more explosions and CGI acrobatics. In my head the whole movie was way heavier on the action. It's a comedy, through and through!

Maybe this movie is actually more of a comedy than the trailer makes it out to be (to get it out from under the shadow of the reboot), but if it's as reverent as you pointed out it it seems to be I would much rather if they had taken a 21 Jump Street sort of approach.

(Final hedge, though: I also think it's ok for sequels to have very different tones from previous movies, ala Gremlins 2, but as you note this seems to be more interested in rehashing and fan-service than building, branching out or reframing.)

You know, this is a movie. An idle entertainment.

At least we now know what kind of perspective you keep on that, to know if/how to engage with you on the topic.

Fieg's Ghostbusters reboot it hated for a reason. I'm not alone in this opinion.

Don't make excuses for that awful reboot, or act like I have this perspective on movies in general. Fieg's Ghostbusters is one of the worst reboots ever made, and the fact that it bares the Ghostbusters name without shame, makes it extra insulting. Think about it. They didn't call it New Ghostbusters, or Ghostbusters Afterlife. They called it Ghostbusters, as if it were the same as the 80s movie. It was a big sham. They knew how highly praised the original is, and named it the same on purpose to fool people into watching it. That is atrocious.

Thats like making a terrible reboot of Jurassic Park, and calling it Jurassic Park. At least Jurassic World had the decency to change the name.

The hyperbolic criticism of this movie from certain quarters of Ghostbusters fandom is something to see.

No, the criticism is entirely deserved. They made a reboot about an iconic comedy, named it the exact same, but did not bother to write jokes for it. They just had their actors improvize for an hour, kept the camera rolling, and then slapped it together. It is an insult.

I'm relieved that they came out with a teaser for Ghostbusters Afterlife so fast after Fieg pretty much damaged a very popular franchise. Sony clearly knew they messed up big time. And sure, this film seems to be full of nods to the original. I hope it isn't just fan service. But a little bit of fan service is fine, as long as the movie is good. So far, it looks okay. They seem to nail the mood at least, and the trailer isn't the most downvoted trailer in YT history.

It could still be bad, but judging by what I've seen of Afterlife, that is unlikely. So far it has been just the right amount of love towards the original. And it is nice to see Ray making a cameo.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
No, the criticism is entirely deserved. They made a reboot about an iconic comedy, named it the exact same, but did not bother to write jokes for it. They just had their actors improvize for an hour, kept the camera rolling, and then slapped it together. It is an insult.
I look forward to you discovering the past 20 years of movie comedies, all of which are largely improvised, many of which I guarantee you enjoyed.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Fieg's Ghostbusters reboot it hated for a reason. I'm not alone in this opinion.
There are certainly gross corners of the Internet -- including spaces that are nominally just about Ghostbuster fandom -- where this opinion is common. Several major Facebook groups have had to ban users for the over-the-top sexist attacks -- and death threats -- made over this movie.

It's not a hated movie when you get away from those places, though. Far from it.
the fact that it bares the Ghostbusters name without shame, makes it extra insulting.
How do you think that happened? Do you think that Paul Fieg broke into a studio lot, stole a bunch of IP and ran out, giggling, in the middle of the night? The movie was produced by Ivan Reitman.

No one is trying to insult you and it's irrational for you to say so.
Thats like making a terrible reboot of Jurassic Park, and calling it Jurassic Park. At least Jurassic World had the decency to change the name.
Every Jurassic Park sequel -- including 2 and 3 -- are just as terrible as Jurassic World.

I look forward to you discovering the past 20 years of movie comedies, all of which are largely improvised, many of which I guarantee you enjoyed.

I'm not against improvizing. The original Ghostbusters had improv too.

But it also had a competent script and written jokes. It didn't have actors just obnoxiously yelling whatever they could think of to fill screentime.

Remove ads