New Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer

There are certainly gross corners of the Internet -- including spaces that are nominally just about Ghostbuster fandom -- where this opinion is common. Several major Facebook groups have had to ban users for the over-the-top sexist attacks -- and death threats -- made over this movie.

This needs to stop being a defense of that film.

OK, you've had your rants. Could you please steer the topic back to the new Ghostbusters film? Thanks.

I have been talking about the new Ghostbusters film. Afterlife looks way better. For starters, there seems to be a competent script, and it seems to get the tone right.

I could still be wrong of course. I hope fan service doesn't make up the entire film. But so far it looks good.

And for the record, I think GB2 is fine. I don't get all the hate.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This needs to stop being a defense of that film.
Those folks need to stop, then. It's regularly attacked in a highly gendered way. If you also dislike the film, but not for sexist and racist reasons, if you are in those spaces, it would be good to help throw cold water on those folks. As it is, a lot of folks who hate the movie give that behavior a pass.

This trailer dropping today got Stranger Things 4 trending on Twitter. I'm not sure if Finn Wolfhard is going to have a long career in acting -- his looks are changing pretty dramatically during puberty -- but he does the "kid on wild adventures" stuff very well.

Also, more Paul Rudd in everything, please.

Agreed on Paul Rudd. He's great.

Yeah, Finn is growing up fast. He can't play a Kid forever. And I hope they don't keep casting him as pretty much the same character as in Stranger Things.

So far, it looks okay. They seem to nail the mood at least, and the trailer isn't the most downvoted trailer in YT history.

That downvoting campaign was one of the worst examples of toxic fandom, right up there with review-bombing Black Panther. That's a valid signal for something serious, namely the ugliness among online nerd communities that started with Gamergate, but it's not signal for what you're presenting it as.

It could still be bad, but judging by what I've seen of Afterlife, that is unlikely. So far it has been just the right amount of love towards the original. And it is nice to see Ray making a cameo.

I'm generally in agreement about the terribleness of the Ghostbusters reboot, but as @Whizbang Dustyboots noted the tone in this trailer doesn't match the original movie at all. Ghostbusters is an extremely silly movie. It has like three total (and brief) moments of genuinely spooky tension, and nearly every other second of its running time is Bill Murray doing his meta-comedy thing, as an actor in a movie he doesn't seem to make sense in, playing a character who thinks everything he's doing and almost everyone he's around is beneath him. It's a very strange comedy. This new one looks like standard Hollywood stuff. Might as well be another MCU movie, as far as the tone goes.

I'm not saying it's going to be bad, just that this trailer is not capturing the tone of the original, and it doesn't seem like the movie is trying to, either.

Those folks need to stop, then. It's regularly attacked in a highly gendered way. If you also dislike the film, but not for sexist and racist reasons, if you are in those spaces, it would be good to help throw cold water on those folks. As it is, a lot of folks who hate the movie give that behavior a pass.

That is offensive and wrong in so many ways, I don't even know how to respond.

So because there are people on the internet hating on a film because there are women in it, I can't criticize the same film and need to distance myself from those groups of people? I'm not in those groups and I don't behave as they do. That should be enough. Yuck!

I am EXCITED to see female Ghostbusters! I WANT to see female Ghostbusters!

I'm not saying it's going to be bad, just that this trailer is not capturing the tone of the original, and it doesn't seem like the movie is trying to, either.
I can see why you might have that opinion, as the tone isn't exactly as in the original film. But I think it is close.

I'm referring specifically to the more serious approach the original film had in regards to the supernatural. In between Murrays wacky antics, there was a feeling of otherworldly dread hanging over the film. The videogame got close to that tone, and I also see hints of it in this trailer.

This trailer and the teaser suggest that the original Ghostbusters did not get to the bottom of Ivo Shandors sinister plans. Perhaps Egon was researching it, but the original gang fell apart, and now a new team needs to pick up the pieces.

I've always liked the idea of a new film further exploring the mythos of Ghostbusters.

Last edited:

Remove ads