New Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer

one of the DVDs out there has a trivia track in which it points out the differences between what you see and the actual script along with other bits of info. Like with the "let's run some red lights" they did a number of different lines, the script for Weaver was supposed to have been "used car salesman"

Yeah, that was it. "Used car salesman".

Its a shame they cut the dialog about the nerve-gas, which is hilarious. But I suspect it would have taken the punch out of Venkman's line, so that might be why they cut it.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ugh, ain't that the truth. I'm still not on speaking terms with a couple of my friends from high school, because of how they reacted to the reboot and the rhetoric they were throwing around on social media. Certain things can't be unseen, once they're brought out into the open.
Yeah haven’t talked to my best friend from childhood in years, in part because of what he said about the actresses in that movie.

Also the reboot is good. 🤷‍♂️

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah haven’t talked to my best friend from childhood in years, in part because of what he said about the actresses in that movie.

Also the reboot is good. 🤷‍♂️
I did a rewatch last night and its not bad, the action was fine and story covers the expectations. But at no point did I feel either amused or frightened - which I suppose is the point of comedy horror. Admittedly I am a few decades older than I was when the first movie came out, but I do think the original had better special effects and the Library Ghost was scarier than the girl in the basement.

doctorbadwolf

I did a rewatch last night and its not bad, the action was fine and story covers the expectations. But at no point did I feel either amused or frightened - which I suppose is the point of comedy horror. Admittedly I am a few decades older than I was when the first movie came out, but I do think the original had better special effects and the Library Ghost was scarier than the girl in the basement.
Even as a kid, I didn't think anything in Ghostbusters was scary except for the painting, and in a couple moments the demon dogs. Everything else was either just funny or fun.

Perhaps that plays a large role in how the reboot was received.

MGibster

Legend
Even as a kid, I didn't think anything in Ghostbusters was scary except for the painting, and in a couple moments the demon dogs. Everything else was either just funny or fun.
I don't know, in 1984 this guy was kind of scary.
Cab Driver.JPG

One of the things I like about Ghostbusters as an adult is that they really played it straight. For the most part, the ghosts aren't funny or silly with the comedy mostly stemming from how the characters react to the situations they find themselves in. Even Slimer, or the ghost we would eventually call Slimer, isn't cute or funny. He's a disgusting little blob and what makes his initial appearance so funny is Murray's deadpan line, "He slimed me." Ghostbusters is one of the few big budget special effects movies I can think of that just has fantastic dialogue.

Ghostbuster II was a disappointment. I didn't see the more recent reboot because I consider the original to be a near perfect movie. I also didn't see the remake of Psycho. I'm not sure how keen I am about seeing Afterlife in theaters but I'll probably try to catch it at some point. It looks better than Ghostbusters II.

doctorbadwolf

I don't know, in 1984 this guy was kind of scary.
View attachment 141379
I guess. I grew up watching Tales From The Crypt, and reading Stephen King, so my perspective is probably a bit different.
One of the things I like about Ghostbusters as an adult is that they really played it straight. For the most part, the ghosts aren't funny or silly with the comedy mostly stemming from how the characters react to the situations they find themselves in. Even Slimer, or the ghost we would eventually call Slimer, isn't cute or funny. He's a disgusting little blob and what makes his initial appearance so funny is Murray's deadpan line, "He slimed me." Ghostbusters is one of the few big budget special effects movies I can think of that just has fantastic dialogue.

Ghostbuster II was a disappointment. I didn't see the more recent reboot because I consider the original to be a near perfect movie. I also didn't see the remake of Psycho. I'm not sure how keen I am about seeing Afterlife in theaters but I'll probably try to catch it at some point. It looks better than Ghostbusters II.
Fair enough. I also really like how the ghost and such aren't generally the source of humor, but instead are the source of drama from which the humor stems. Of course, it helps that Dan Aykroyd takes seriously the notion of ghosts.

MGibster

Legend
I guess. I grew up watching Tales From The Crypt, and reading Stephen King, so my perspective is probably a bit different.
My parents didn't love me either and allowed me to watch those kinds of movies as well. On the flip side I did get to see Jenny Agutter's shower scene in An American Werewolf in London so maybe it all worked out for the best. Perhaps we should form a support group of some kind?

pukunui

Legend
I remember being sick once and watching Ghostbusters II on repeat. I enjoyed it at the time but haven’t seen it since. I did show the original to my girls a few years back and felt it had aged somewhat.

The demon dogs were scary, but I actually think the evil dude in the painting was scarier. I recall being deliciously spooked by the ghost train in the old subway tunnel as well.

I also remember the animated Statue of Liberty fondly.

Fieg's Ghostbusters reboot it hated for a reason. I'm not alone in this opinion.

Don't make excuses for that awful reboot, or act like I have this perspective on movies in general. Fieg's Ghostbusters is one of the worst reboots ever made, and the fact that it bares the Ghostbusters name without shame, makes it extra insulting. Think about it. They didn't call it New Ghostbusters, or Ghostbusters Afterlife. They called it Ghostbusters, as if it were the same as the 80s movie. It was a big sham. They knew how highly praised the original is, and named it the same on purpose to fool people into watching it. That is atrocious.

I agree with you on this.

However, in the interest of fairness I feel compelled to point out that Reitman and Ramis kind of did something similar. They bought the name from Filmation who were already using it for a completely unrelated TV show. They didn't try to pass it off as the same thing like Feig did, but like Feig they did confusingly use the name of an unrelated franchise.

Last edited:

Remove ads