New Microlite20 thread

dunbruha

First Post
Mondbuchstaben said:
I am planning something Microlite-ish right now and this was crossing my mind as well.

My solution is to raise any two skills +1 per level. That way a player could still raise his "main skill" every level while also getting better at select other skills.
If spread out evenly it's more like SWSE's (and 4e's?) "stat plus half level" instead of M20's "stat plus full level".

It doesn't prohibit a Mage to eventually being as good at thievery as a 1st level Rogue, but now the Mage has to actively pursue it (by putting a +1 into Subterfuge).

Maybe have +1 to all skills each level, plus add +1 to any skill if the level divides by three (i.e. level 3,6,9,etc.), and change the +1 to STR, DEX or MIND to if the level divides by four (i.e. level 4,8,12,etc.). This is more similar to the SRD progression.

dunbruha

First Post
My take on the ranger and the druid

Here is a suggestion for the ranger and druid classes. I modified the descriptions in the Expert Rules, because I didn't want to add a new skill.

*Rangers* can use light or medium armor. They are +1 to hit and damage with ranged weapons and only incur a -1 to hit penalty when fighting with 2 weapons. Ability Bonus: when they are in a natural setting, rangers gain +2 bonus to all skills.

*Druids* can wear light or medium armour and use shields. They worship Nature and Nature spirits, and cast from the Druid spell lists [see Expert Rules]. Ability Bonus: when they are in a natural setting, druids gain +2 bonus to all skills. Druids avoid using metal, preferring living or once-living materials (leather, wood, etc). At third level, a Druid can Wild Shape into any small animal (eg a fox or badger) once a day. Every three levels the number of uses increases by one (2/day at 6th, 3/day at 9th, etc). A Druid can use up 2 uses by Wild Shaping into a medium-sized animal (eg, a wolf), or 3 uses by Wild Shaping into a large animal (eg, a bear). A Druid heals 2hp per level when changing back into his human form.

Elephant

First Post
Star Wars M20:

Not much needs to change. Simply choose equipment from the Star Wars universe and change the races and classes as follows:

Races:

Humans and Zabraks get +1 to all skill rolls.
Bothans, Duros, Ewoks, Gungans, Kel Dor, Rodians, and Sullustans get +2 Dex
Gamorreans, Quarrens, Trandoshans, and Wookiees get +2 Str
Cereans, Ithorians, Mon Calamari, and Twi'lek get +2 Mind.

* Duros and Kel Dor could reasonably be given +2 Mind instead of Dex.

Classes:

Jedi wear no armor, get +3 on Knowledge checks, and can use the Force (treat this like spellcasting).
Nobles can wear light armor, get +3 on Communication checks, and can inspire allies (once per turn, grant an extra action to any ally).
Scoundrels can wear light armor, get +3 on Subterfuge checks, and can sneak attack like M20 Rogues.
Soldiers can wear any armor and use any weapons, get +3 on Physical checks and +1 on attack and damage rolls, increasing by +1 at 5th level and every five levels thereafter.

The Force:

Much like spellcasting in M20, using the Force costs Hit Points. The cost is commensurate with the effect.

Minor effect: 1hp
Medium: 5hp
Major: 10hp
Legendary: 20hp

Minor effects are things you'd expect half-trained Force-sensitives to be able to pull off, like Luke pulling the lightsaber out of the snowbank in Empire Strikes Back.
Medium effects are things that most Jedi Knights would be able to do -- like Luke's Force-use in Return of the Jedi.
Major effects are things that require the training and discipline of a Jedi Master.
Legendary effects are things that Yoda could pull off. Lifting Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp on Dagobah is the classic example.

If characters use the Force to deal damage in combat, they deal damage dependent on the level of effect they use:

Minor d4
Medium d6
Major d8
Legendary d10

Force powers deal one die of damage per level of the Jedi.

bytor4232

First Post
Hey guys, just contributing to the new thread. I'm still around, and still use m20 on occasion. I keep the m20 PocketMods in a dice bag with a set of dice, pencil, and paper. Its always with me. The other day I threw down with my daughter and nephew for a fast game. I still play 3.5e, but m20 is great for those rainy days.

Last edited:

Hawkwind

Explorer
microlite

I DMed a game of Microlite last night for the first time and i was pleased with it. my players rolled their characters and completed a 7 room dungeon in 2 hours of play which was satisfactorily fast for them.

The game is so simple that Like C&C it just begs to be heavily house ruled. I used the conviction system from True 20 where characters have to choose a vice and a virtue and get bonus conviction points for roleplaying these aspects of the characters personality, i ended up with a greedy thief and a alcoholic cleric in the party. I also used media pigs idea for talents http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=177624&page=39&pp=30. With this the two fighters in the party didn't seem identical.

I think this game has a lot of potential for allowing me to use all the d20/3.5 adventures i having lying around with out using the 3.5 rules which slow play down for me, again its bit like using C&C to run old first and second edition adventures. Overall its a nice bit of reverse engineering

Elephant

First Post
I've started running a casual Microlite20 game on IRC. So far, we've managed to have six encounters between two sessions without a single round of combat. It seems slow, but IRC gaming ALWAYS seems slow :)

I'm thinking I'll really notice the speed of Microlite once a combat starts - those always take FOREVER via IRC.

Hawkwind

Explorer
turning rules are broken

One thing i did notice in the low level dungeon was the turning rules not working well as writen where you use the monsters DHit points as the DC for turning, The party encountered a undead bug bear with 42 hitpoints, with the rule as currently writen a 20th level cleric is only going to have better than a 50/50 chance of turning it or have I misunderstood the turn effect wrong

Remove ads