New MMIII errata and 3.5FAQ update at Wizards

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My impression is that a couple of ability scores got changed late in development and knocked out a lot of stats...

I'm very glad to have the errata (thanks, Wizards!), but I wish there wasn't so much of it. :(

Cheers!

Eremite

Explorer
MerricB said:
My impression is that a couple of ability scores got changed late in development and knocked out a lot of stats... (snip)

I think both MMII and MMIII had basically flawed design and development processes/paradigms that caused these errors.

It seems that monsters were initially designed "properly" (as in according to the guidelines and power levels of MMI [both 3E and 3.5E]) but then the monster would have to be given a power boost because of the desire to fill gaps in the lists of CRs by monster type.

This led to, inter alia, far too many of the monsters in both MMII and MMIII being significantly more powerful than the approximate equivalents in MMI (again, both 3E and 3.5E). The resultant changes in ability scores, hit dice etc..., no doubt, have led to the really high error rate in MMIII in particular (and way too much bad design in MMII) and too much power creep vis-a-vis MMI.

I hate errors.

I hate power creep.

Sammael

Adventurer
Actually, I am now definitely going to wait for the 2nd printing... if there is ever one. I can handle minor errata, but this borders on rewriting the whole book.

Remove ads