D&D General New OGL survey

teitan

Legend
New OGL survey and offer is up. The survey link will be added later but an FAQ and first draft of 1.2 is now available for us to go over to deliver feedback.

dave2008

Legend
From the 2nd paragraph:

"
  1. We're giving the core D&D mechanics to the community through a Creative Commons license, which means that they are fully in your hands.
  2. If you want to use quintessentially D&D content from the SRD such as owlbears and magic missile, OGL 1.2 will provide you a perpetual, irrevocable license to do so."

teitan

Legend
From the 2nd paragraph:

"
  1. We're giving the core D&D mechanics to the community through a Creative Commons license, which means that they are fully in your hands.
  2. If you want to use quintessentially D&D content from the SRD such as owlbears and magic missile, OGL 1.2 will provide you a perpetual, irrevocable license to do so."
Yeah this thing is a major walk back and almost like 1.0a being deauthorized is a non issue, especially with irrevocable.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yeah this thing is a major walk back and almost like 1.0a being deauthorized is a non issue, especially with irrevocable.
It's technically, in my opinion, BETTER than 1.0a being left alone. Because 1.0a didn't come with the irrevocable clause, and wider industry established practices, of the creative commons license. Creative Commons is an overall license which is better written and more cleanly enforceable than 1.0a.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There is a already a length thread on it here: WotC Posts OGL Draft

That being said, I still don't like deauthorizing the OGL and I don't buy their justification for doing so. However, this is better than we thought / what was leaked.
You can use 1.0a for existing products, and Creative Commons (which is better than 1.0a) for new products. Why would you want to use 1.0a for new products since it doesn't have the cleanly irrevocable language of the Creative Commons?

dave2008

Legend
You can use 1.0a for existing products, and Creative Commons (which is better than 1.0a) for new products. Why would you want to use 1.0a for new products since it doesn't have the cleanly irrevocable language of the Creative Commons?
You are correct. I posted that before I read the actual draft (just Keith's description). The one issue is Product Identity. I don't believe CC allows any Product Identity. That being said, I have very few (and correctable) issues with the OGL 1.2.

Remove ads