New OGL - what would be acceptable? (+)

AK81

Explorer
I think suggestion number 1 is the only OGL that a creator can and should accept now. They need to update the OGL with the word irrevocable.

Even just sticking with OGL 1.0a won't be good enough now.
I can't see how any creator could build their business and livelihood on a deal that might be pulled at any moment.

Everyone know that they can't trust the OGL 1.0a anymore. Even if WotC decided to dropp their plans this time. Who knows what they will decide in a few years.

If the OGL 1.1 comes out looking different than the leak, you can be certain they will not say "We heard the community and we changed course." They will say, "That was a very early draft that wasn't ever really seriously considered and this is what we were really going for all along. Oh, and hey, look, we signed Kobold. Southlands 1D&D, y'all!"
And this is bad why?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
And this is bad why?
It's good but I don't think they can put the genie back in the bottle. So more like too little too late.

There is a great deal of fear and uncertainty around the cost of litigation. That's a huge business risk. The best thing to do with that size of a risk is to pivot away from it and no amount of reassurances at this stage is likely to appreciably lower that risk for anything more than the immediate short term.

It's good but I don't think they can put the genie back in the bottle. So more like too little too late.

There is a great deal of fear and uncertainty around the cost of litigation. That's a huge business risk. The best thing to do with that size of a risk is to pivot away from it.
So you're just saying nothing can be done? Don't see the point of that.

FrogReaver

So you're just saying nothing can be done? Don't see the point of that.
Please don't put words in my mouth.

What can be done is to create a new version of OGL 1.0a that removes as many of the potential loopholes as possible while otherwise keeping the same terms as OGL 1.0a.

Will that be done, I don't think so, but it's the only thing that would help IMO.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

What can be done is to create a new version of OGL 1.0a that removes as many of the potential loopholes as possible while otherwise keeping the same terms as OGL 1.0a.

Will that be done, I don't think so, but it's the only thing that would help IMO.
I don't agree, I think just taking out the 1.0a is deauthorized part is enough

FrogReaver

I don't agree, I think just taking out the 1.0a is deauthorized part is enough
Enough to stop the risk assessment that any 3pp is going to be doing before they enter into an agreement that WOTC could decide to dismiss and change in any way at any time in the future? That's not the kind of stability needed to keep content creators from deeming that arrangement too risky for them.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Enough to stop the risk assessment that any 3pp is going to be doing before they enter into an agreement that WOTC could decide to dismiss and change in any way at any time in the future? That's not the kind of stability needed to keep content creators producing under that license.
It would have to replace that language with "and 1.0a and 1.0 are irrevocable."

Remove ads