• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E New Pathfinder Podcast

acorania

First Post
The Gamers' Guide to Pathfinder

A friend and I have started up a new podcast that is just two guys look at the rules of Pathfinder. If this is something you might be interested in check us out!

Our RSS feed is:
thegamersguidetopathfinder

I have submitted our podcast to iTunes and it is currently under review and you should be able to subscribe through iTunes soon.

Currently I have posted our first episode:
The Gamers' Guide to Firearms - Part I

I expect I should have 2 more episodes (The Gamers' Guide to Firearms - Part II and The Gamers Guide to Dipping) posted with in the next day or so.

I have another episode halfway edited and a fifth waiting for editing to start.

Each episode is a little over an hour and we are shooting for about 1 hour as our episode length.

Let me know what you think!!!

acorania

First Post
I have gotten episodes 2 & 3 up as well at this point. I am still working on editing episode 4, and have recorded but not yet edited 5.

Since I am running a Carrion Crown this Sunday, prep and that day will cut into my editing time but I should be back on the horse next week and should have both 4 & 5 up by the end of the week.

Sean

TojuXinshu

First Post
Just listened to all three currently-available episodes and hope you don't mind a bit of feedback. I've been listening to a lot of different RPG-related podcasts lately, so it was a little easier for me to spot what I did and didn't like than it would have been even a few months ago.

Content
I enjoyed all three episodes in terms of content. I especially liked the way that you broke down the rules, the gunslinger and the new archetypes/options for existing classes for firearms. I also found the class dipping episode quite interesting because it highlighted where some options are stronger than others, even when they appear reasonably similar on the surface.

Structure
I started at the beginning with episode 1 on firearms. It took me a while (at least 20 mins or so into the episode) to settle into the pace of your conversational style. I felt that you both spoke quite quickly (for a podcast) and covered a lot of detail, all of which was interjected by laughing, making funny voices, cutting one another off, etc. None of these bother me, but in sum they make it far easier to miss some of your comments and therefore the point of your podcasts. I had to go back several times during the first two episodes to catch something that I'd missed the first time around. I guess it's just a matter of being clear on your points before moving on to the next ones, especially if you've shared a joke or two in the middle.

It was especially difficult when you were covering the firearms rules and classes/archetypes because there was a lot to absorb at a cracking pace, especially for someone who wasn't entirely familiar with the firearm rules. I had an easier go of it by the time I got to episode 3 on class dipping, though I suspect that the topic change also made a difference. Not being all that familiar with the firearm rules, but being at least conversant with the 1-2 level class dips, meant that I was able to keep up with and absorb the gist of your conversation a lot easier for ep3 vs eps 1+2.

Summary
Overall, a good start with just a couple of things that made it a little difficult to absorb in this format, but that are also easily fixed. I'm looking forward to more.

Keep up the podcast and best of luck* !

Cheers, TX

*But please slow down just a little for these old ears ;)

acorania

First Post
Thank you very much for checking us out!!!

Just listened to all three currently-available episodes and hope you don't mind a bit of feedback.

I am extremely appreciative of any feedback that might have to offer. Thanks for taking the time to write it. It helps a lot.

StructureIt took me a while (at least 20 mins or so into the episode) to settle into the pace of your conversational style. I felt that you both spoke quite quickly (for a podcast) and covered a lot of detail,

This has been the most common piece of feedback so far (guess we should do something about it! lol).

I think there are two reasons for this, one a little easier to fix than the other.

1) Editing - I ententionally edit out inhales, 'umms' and 'you-knows', as well as any significant amount of silent time. I think this might be making a bit too tight. The original thought was to keep this as conversational as possible and cutting out natural conversation breaks I think is working to defeat that purpose.

2) I tend to be long winded and an analyzer. When I first joined the forums here I got a welcome message from Ryan saying it was good to have me and that I was so interested in commenting but that in my initial burst of comments left 5 dissertations of comments and it might be a bit much and scare people off. I think for the podcast Barry and I will need to make sure we are including the audience a bit more in the conversation and that we are explaining what we are talking about.

Good feedback, thank you!

all of which was interjected by laughing, making funny voices, cutting one another off, etc. None of these bother me, but in sum they make it far easier to miss some of your comments and therefore the point of your podcasts.

We really wanted to capture us just talking. One of the reasons we started a podcast was because we were staying out way to late and angering our wives just yaking about this stuff. Crazy as it is, making a podcast means we can now say, 'we should save this for the podcast!' and actually cut down on how much we are talking about this stuff but still have an outlet.

I guess my point is that we wanted to have the jokes and what not in there to keep it how we have conversations as I find that is how I enjoy listening to podcasts (and one of the things I most enjoyed about 3.5 Sanctuary, and other podcasts was the interplay between the hosts).

We also don't want people to come away thinking 'if I don't build my character the way they want me to I am doing it wrong!" It's a game, we are having fun with it and learning all the time.

I will try and make sure the content isn't getting lost in there as well.

It was especially difficult when you were covering the firearms rules and classes/archetypes because there was a lot to absorb at a cracking pace, especially for someone who wasn't entirely familiar with the firearm rules.

Good point. We selected firearms (and eastern weapons, armor and the ninja and samurai in episode 4... to be released soon), because they were new. We thought people might be most interested in jumping in and grabbing something they weren't as familiar with because it had just come out.

I think that also works against us though in that we are covering stuff that people might not even have access to or have had time to go over... so it is completely new or foreign.

Out of curiosity though, did it make you want to play a gunslinger, one of the archetypes, or allow firearms in your campaign? Or did it scare you off of them?

I know that when we started both reading up on (really just breezing over and then learning while on mic, so we are learning with the audience) and then starting this episode, I was unsure about letting Firearms in my campaign and they didn't interest me much as a player... now I have done a 180 on both counts... would be interesting to hear if the same was true for listeners.

I had an easier go of it by the time I got to episode 3 on class dipping, though I suspect that the topic change also made a difference. Not being all that familiar with the firearm rules, but being at least conversant with the 1-2 level class dips, meant that I was able to keep up with and absorb the gist of your conversation a lot easier for ep3 vs eps 1+2.

Our initial thought was to do one episode on rules (new ones if we can help it so they can be added to games), and then one on some sort of concept around the rules rather than a ruleset itself, then back and forth. We'll see how that goes, but the firearms one went soooo long I had to split it up into two episodes.

We had discussions about making part II be episode #3 to keep that rhythm, but I decided to keep them together.

Summary
Overall, a good start with just a couple of things that made it a little difficult to absorb in this format, but that are also easily fixed. I'm looking forward to more.

Again, thank you so much for checking us out, and for taking all the time to write a very good and comprehensive set of feedback... I can't tell you how much that is appreciated.

Sean Mahoney

TojuXinshu

First Post
Thank you very much for checking us out!!!

I am extremely appreciative of any feedback that might have to offer. Thanks for taking the time to write it. It helps a lot.

Happy to help :)

This has been the most common piece of feedback so far (guess we should do something about it! lol).

I think there are two reasons for this, one a little easier to fix than the other.

1) Editing - I ententionally edit out inhales, 'umms' and 'you-knows', as well as any significant amount of silent time. I think this might be making a bit too tight. The original thought was to keep this as conversational as possible and cutting out natural conversation breaks I think is working to defeat that purpose.

Heh, you're not trying to be a perfectionist, are you? ;)

It's easy to want to try and make it all "perfect", but I think that as long as you've cut out most of the inhales, umms, ahhs, etc, you should be fine. Cutting it too close to the bone made it a little too tight, but hey, you need to ease into it and find your comfort zone between editing and style.

2) I tend to be long winded and an analyzer. When I first joined the forums here I got a welcome message from Ryan saying it was good to have me and that I was so interested in commenting but that in my initial burst of comments left 5 dissertations of comments and it might be a bit much and scare people off. I think for the podcast Barry and I will need to make sure we are including the audience a bit more in the conversation and that we are explaining what we are talking about.

I can't throw stones at you for being long winded and an analyzer because I'm the same way. As long as you come up for a breath of air once in a while, you should be good to go.

We really wanted to capture us just talking. One of the reasons we started a podcast was because we were staying out way to late and angering our wives just yaking about this stuff. Crazy as it is, making a podcast means we can now say, 'we should save this for the podcast!' and actually cut down on how much we are talking about this stuff but still have an outlet.

I guess my point is that we wanted to have the jokes and what not in there to keep it how we have conversations as I find that is how I enjoy listening to podcasts (and one of the things I most enjoyed about 3.5 Sanctuary, and other podcasts was the interplay between the hosts).

We also don't want people to come away thinking 'if I don't build my character the way they want me to I am doing it wrong!" It's a game, we are having fun with it and learning all the time.

I will try and make sure the content isn't getting lost in there as well.

As I mentioned, the laughs, jokes, etc didn't bother me in the least. I think it's a part of the conversational style and makes it more accessible, plus I'm sure we all like a good laugh when listening to a podcast. I only mentioned it because when the tight editing/"density" was also taken into account, it made it tougher to follow as a whole. I agree about the interplay between hosts being a good thing and think that it's a good way to build up familiarity with the audience.

Definitely don't stop the laughs otherwise it'll become too sanitised!

Good point. We selected firearms (and eastern weapons, armor and the ninja and samurai in episode 4... to be released soon), because they were new. We thought people might be most interested in jumping in and grabbing something they weren't as familiar with because it had just come out.

I think that also works against us though in that we are covering stuff that people might not even have access to or have had time to go over... so it is completely new or foreign.

That was precisely why I was interested in listening to the podcast - you covered something that I hadn't heard covered in any depth elsewhere and I wanted to know more.

Out of curiosity though, did it make you want to play a gunslinger, one of the archetypes, or allow firearms in your campaign? Or did it scare you off of them?

I know that when we started both reading up on (really just breezing over and then learning while on mic, so we are learning with the audience) and then starting this episode, I was unsure about letting Firearms in my campaign and they didn't interest me much as a player... now I have done a 180 on both counts... would be interesting to hear if the same was true for listeners.

I'm much more likely to allow firearms in my campaign. I'd been toying with the idea, but it wasn't a core concept to my campaign world so it wasn't strictly necessary, but now I think that the gunslinger and the firearm-related archetypes would fit nicely. I'll definitely try and convince my next GM to allow me to use one of the archetypes next time I play.

Our initial thought was to do one episode on rules (new ones if we can help it so they can be added to games), and then one on some sort of concept around the rules rather than a ruleset itself, then back and forth. We'll see how that goes, but the firearms one went soooo long I had to split it up into two episodes.

We had discussions about making part II be episode #3 to keep that rhythm, but I decided to keep them together.

I think the split was a good one. Firearms is a large, new subsystem, so it was either going to be two one-hour sessions or a single two+ hour podcast. Realistically, you could have done a four-hour sessions just on firearms and the related class, spells, archetypes, feats, etc and there'd still be some stones left unturned, but it's better to be concise and get your point across than be verbose and have your content lost in the "noise".

Again, thank you so much for checking us out, and for taking all the time to write a very good and comprehensive set of feedback... I can't tell you how much that is appreciated.

Sean Mahoney

Happy to help in any small way. As I said, I look forward to more (especially now that I know you're covering the eastern stuff).

Cheers, TX

Last edited:

acorania

First Post
I have now submitted The Gamers' Guide to both Zune and RPGpodcast.com for inclusion. I will update when they have been added.

acorania

First Post
Episode 4: The Gamers' Guide to Eastern Gaming has now been released. It is a discussion of eastern weapons and armor, the ninja, and the samurai classes.

The podcast is now posted up at RPGPodcast.com as well!

Sean Mahoney

EUBanana

First Post
I listened to the "dipping" one. Quite cool. I always find that I end up single class though, or occasionally dip fighter for the feats. Pathfinder makes it so persuasive to be single class most of the time, though. The cleric domain thing, I never really think it fits the character much unless it's really contrived in an RP sense, and clerics are quite a strong RP goad too so that sort of thing matters more than picking up diviner for initiative bonuses, IMO.

oh, and gendarme is French, so it's pronounced jean-darme or john-darme, more or less. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads