D&D 5E New player, questions about new edition

skintchicken

Villager
I know that no one knows for sure and this will all just be speculation, but do y'all think the 6e (or 5.5e, etc.) will be mostly made of slight tweaks to 5e instead of more of an entirely new edition? I've been lurking all day and it seems most think it'll just be incremental.

I ask because I began playing a couple of months ago and I love it. I tend to jump in head first when I find a new thing I really like so, of course, I'm looking to buy some books, but I don't want to invest much money into 5e books if they are just going to become outdated. I know that WotC says 6e will be backwards compatible, but I'm still kind of worried about it.

I have already bought the alternative art Rules Expansion set. The artwork is super cool looking. What are the best campaign books for a newcomer, in y'all's opinion?

Thank you very much for any and all help, suggestions, etc.

GuyBoy

Hero
Firstly, welcome to the boards. This place is great.
Moving to your question, I’m more echoing it than answering it to be honest; I am DM-ing the Starter Set for my two grandkids and looking to buy them the full rules soon, but I’m also wondering whether to wait a bit.
So we are in this together, new player and 43 years-of-D&D veteran. Let’s see what advice we get....

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
We really don't know. It may be incremental, but the increments may be quite large. At least as far as increments go.

But its also a ways off, and once you have something started, there is no rule to switch right away, or ever, if you don't want to. So this probably wont even be an issue for at least a couple of years.

And 50AE is supposed to be compatible.

But it seems like you have all the rules (maybe too many). An adventure is even less likely to be affected by the change. I like Saltmarsh and Ravenloft.

GuyBoy

Hero
Agreed regards the adventures. I’ve played in Ravenloft and DM-ed Saltmarsh. Both are great.
I’d also recommend Tales from the Yawning Portal; several older “classics” updated for 5e. It can serve multiple roles as a resource. As a long-term player, I’m especially fond of the Giants series included in the book.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I know that no one knows for sure and this will all just be speculation, but do y'all think the 6e (or 5.5e, etc.) will be mostly made of slight tweaks to 5e instead of more of an entirely new edition? I've been lurking all day and it seems most think it'll just be incremental.

I ask because I began playing a couple of months ago and I love it. I tend to jump in head first when I find a new thing I really like so, of course, I'm looking to buy some books, but I don't want to invest much money into 5e books if they are just going to become outdated. I know that WotC says 6e will be backwards compatible, but I'm still kind of worried about it.

I have already bought the alternative art Rules Expansion set. The artwork is super cool looking. What are the best campaign books for a newcomer, in y'all's opinion?

It's likely that it will be more than absolutely pure incremental changes, due to some recent developments on top of long-running trends. But it's also very unlikely to be a complete edition overhaul like the differences between 2e and 3e, 3e and 4e, or 4e and 5e.

Basically, I have a sliding scale of comparisons, using past examples (which probably won't mean anything to you since you're new to the hobby.) The stuff they've talked about is significantly bigger than the "not really an edition change at all" examples from the past. But it's also substantially smaller than the "really genuinely a whole new game" edition changes. Examples of relevant predicted/presumed/evidenced-but-not-explicitly-confirmed changes are:

1. They appear to be moving heavily away from basing anything off of short rests. Instead, things are being shifted to a "proficiency bonus per long rest" system. Some mechanics will probably still require short rests (e.g. Arcane Recovery, Song of Rest, etc.), but they'll either be minor, or only once a day when taking a short rest, or in some other way reduced.
2. It's looking very strongly like Backgrounds are getting overhauled, and that future backgrounds will include the choice of a feat at 1st level (and possibly another feat later on). This is one of the biggest changes and makes a rather meaningful impact.
3. Dragonborn got rewritten, and it's pretty clear they'll want the new ones to replace the old dragonborn race, mostly because the old one sucks and the new ones are at least decent. This also will include things like switching to "Ancestries," dropping the concept of subraces, and making ability scores flexible (though I'd be surprised if there weren't suggested Ancestry ability scores.)
4. I expect some 3.5e-like tweaks and adjustments to spells and individual (sub)classes. E.g. many think that the Beastmaster Ranger is going to get rewritten because it's consistently polled so poorly. I also think they'll be tweaking Sorcerer, Monk, and possibly Warlock (depending on how they feel about Hexblade.)

In sum, these don't look anywhere near as big as usual full-edition changes, but they look quite comparable to 3e->3.5e, where a bunch of stuff got edited and revised, just not totally replaced.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
We don’t know for sure. But WotC has pushed the narrative that it will be minor tweaks and changes. To be fair, they’ve said that before and flat out lied about it. A lot of people are in “wait and see” mode.

Eventually, whatever they produce will be outdated. It’s the business model. New edition, push out products until sales taper off, new edition, push out products…etc.

You will always be able to use your books. As time goes on you will (likely) find fewer and fewer people interested in older editions.

Disney-land horror, Ravenloft.

Weird science-fantasy war, Eberron.

Space-fantasy a la Treasure Planet, Spelljammer.

Greek-themed, Theros.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend

This is always a risk if your approach to a RPG game is "wanting to play only the latest official version". But if you don't take that risk you never play the game...

You already bought a large 3-books bundle and I presume you also have at least the PHB, so you're already into 5e. If you really like some other 5e books, I wouldn't worry about them becoming "obsolete", it's WotC that should worry about losing fans by making them feel they waste their money.

But know that books are not only rules, and people use older books in newer editions (personally I haven't bought a single 5e adventure yet as I am still using adventures as old as BECMI era).

Also know that as a last resort you can always re-sell books you have stopped using.

My personal suggestion is "buy what you use, and use what you buy".

skintchicken

Villager
Thank you for the replies and the welcome! This place seems very welcoming and informative.

I know that I don't have to use any of the new changes if I don't like them, but I tend to overthink everything so.......

Does anyone here happen to live in central Kentucky? I could always use more DnD friends.

skintchicken

Villager
Do you mind explaining more about your point number 2, please?

Edit: Apparently, I don't know how to quote on this board yet. My question is for Raiden.

We don’t know for sure. But WotC has pushed the narrative that it will be minor tweaks and changes. To be fair, they’ve said that before and flat out lied about it. A lot of people are in “wait and see” mode.
Do you have an example?
I don't recall flat out lies, but I might have missed or forgotten.

To the actual topic.
I would not wait 2 years to start, just because there might be rules overhaul.

I would start with the essentials kit, which has a nice starter rulebook and a 50% coupon for the phb at dndbwyond, as well as free upgrades for the adventure for some more levels.

The adventure itself is a collection of mini adventures that are connected loosely, some of which are quite decent.
So for a very small price you get a lot of stuff.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases