D&D 5E New player, questions about new edition

What is a good site to order from online that supports more of a Mom and Pop store as opposed to the behemoths like Amazon?
Any local game stores you might know I would say.

Also for some advice to you. The Books we know are going to be changed in 2024 are the PHB, MM, and DMG the Core books. The rules expansion books you got will appearntly slide in fine with the new Core.

For some recommended books Fizban's Treasury of Dragons is a cool book if you like Dragons, and Adventures will always be usable.

skintchicken

Villager

Also for some advice to you. The Books we know are going to be changed in 2024 are the PHB, MM, and DMG the Core books. The rules expansion books you got will appearntly slide in fine with the new Core.

For some recommended books Fizban's Treasury of Dragons is a cool book if you like Dragons, and Adventures will always be usable.
Do you mind explaining more about the changes coming to the core rule books, please? This is the first I'm hearing about this. Thanks!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Oh, one more thing: once you've finished "Lost Mine" you might want to take a look at "Storm King's Thunder". This is not one of their better adventure books, but it does dovetail with LMoP very well, so it might be worth considering.
I have not read, but I have played, through SKT and... yeah. It can be great, but it's a challenge to the DM. Some people can make it work well (I had fun!), but for others it's unworkable.

I convert a lot of 2nd edition to 5e, so I'm not that worried :)

skintchicken

Villager

I ask about online purchasing because I live in a fairly small city and the only gaming store in town has some DnD stuff, but its sometimes considerably more expensive than Amazon. For example, I looked at FTOD at my store and it was $40. Amazon had it for $26. Stores in nearby larger cities had it for $50. I'm all about supporting small businesses, but I'm also not rich. Like Pete's cousin in Oh, Brother, Where Are Thou said, "They got this depression on. I got to do for me and mine."

aco175

Legend
Your friendly local game store (FLGS) cannot compete with the discount given by Amazon. That said, my FLGS does offer 15% off new books and pre-orders which brings the cost down some, but still cannot beat Amazon and delivery to my door on the day it comes out. I like to support them and buy more off stuff rather than all my books.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Right. Amazon will almost always undercut your FLGS, which has to pay for a physical shop, staffed by customer service people, with heat and lights and nowhere near the economies of scale that Amazon has at their size.

I buy some stuff online, but if a local store is providing a service I want (like hosting tournaments when I was regularly playing those for Warhammer, or 40k, or Magic: The Gathering), I make a point of buying some stuff there, even though it costs more. It's a hobby, and these are luxury expenses, after all.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases