New prestige class, focus on bards

ExtremeSIMS

First Post
Inspiration from the Royal Explorer class and the Talespinners’ League from Song and Silence, a dash of Indiana Jones, and personal indignation that most of the classes from Song and Silence stink.
The Royal Explorer class is really hurting, in my opinion. The requirements include the Alertness and Endurance feat, which do not “feel” right for the bard class. Throw in the specialized need for Profession (Cartographer), and most bards, rogues, or rangers would not take the class. The class also gets hit dice as a cleric (d8), which makes some sense, since the class is likely to be in dangerous situations, but does not “feel” right to me, either. The class should live by wits, not by hit points. Royal Explorers have a BAB that advances as a rogue/bard, which is not in line with the hit dice advancement. To top it off, the special benefits of the class are highlighted by the addition of bonus languages, which does not jive with all of the rest.

The Virtuoso class is the only purely bard class in Song and Silence. Yes, other classes work, but in all of the other supplements, the classes were more balanced. In any case, the flamboyant Virtuoso is not what many players picture for their bard. I know I picture more of a mix between a minstrel and a skald for Kellanon. As some rogues live to be dungeon adventurers, some thugs, some burglars, so, too, should the bard have more opportunities to differentiate himself from his kin.

I’ve played with the special abilities for a while, and I think they work now. A lot of prestige classes do not seem to balance the special abilities, either offering a lot at the first two levels, or only at the last two. This one offers the interested character a reason to keep pursuing the prestige class, but at the same time is balanced.

I still need a better name, though.

ARCANE EXPLORER

For some adventurers, the thrill of discovering a new, previously unknown creature, or uncovering the truth behind a myth, or unearthing the cache of a long last king, is as exciting as the motivations that drive most adventurers. For those for whom exploration and telling the tale is the highest form of adventure, the path of the Arcane Adventurer calls.
Many of those of the Talespinners’ League take this class, as their life is filled with both the thrill of discovery and the thrill of telling an audience about it. In fact, becoming a Talespinner or a member of a similar college is often the first step on this class.
Because part of the reward of discovery is in telling others, many of those who take the path of Arcane Explorer are bards. However, some rangers and rogues with an explorer’s bent and the ability to spin a tale take this class, as do the more adventurous sorcerers and wizards. Clerics of gods of travel or knowledge also gravitate toward the class, but are unlikely to be able to meet the Performance skill requirements. Paladins and monks, who look toward their god or inward for discovery, are unlikely to take this path. Barbarians and druids, who take nature in stride, and don’t go about “discovering” it, are also not likely to become arcane explorers.
Hit Die: d6

REQUIREMENTS:
To become an Arcane Explorer, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.
Skills: Decipher Script 5 ranks, Performance (storytelling or epic tale) 8; two of the following: Knowledge (Arcana) 8, Knowledge (History) 8, Knowledge (Nature), and Knowledge (Religion).
Special: The Arcane Explorer must have discovered a previously undocumented creature, investigated a myth, or similar adventure. He must have then told the tale before an audience of peers, using his performance skill.
The Arcane Explorer must be able to read old arcane and religious texts, and therefore must be able to cast Read Magic.

CLASS SKILLS:
Appraise (Int), Climb (Str), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intuit Direction (Wis), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Search (Int), Speak Language (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Use Magic Device (Cha), Use Rope (Dex), and Wilderness Lore (Wis)

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

CLASS FEATURES:
All the following are class features of the Arcane Explorer prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
The Arcane Explorer gains proficiency with one exotic weapon of choice. Part of the Arcane Explorer’s prestige comes from the use of an unusual weapon [Straight from Royal Explorer. I was going to pull it, but then I thought of Indiana Jones and his whip.] He gains no other weapon or armor proficiencies.

Table 1-1: The Arcane Explorer
Class Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1 0 +2 +2 +0 Explorer Lore, +1 to previous spellcaster class
2 1 +3 +3 +0 Bonus language, Danger Sense
3 2 +3 +3 +1 Brave, +1 to previous spellcaster class
4 3 +4 +4 +1 Bonus language, Alertness
5 3 +4 +4 +1 Danger Sense, +1 to previous spellcaster class

Explorer Lore: An Arcane Explorer picks up a lot of esoteric knowledge on his travels, either from his own adventures or from the tales of others. This ability functions exactly like bardic knowledge, except that the check modifier equals his Arcane Explorer level + his Intelligence modifier. Bard levels stack with Arcane Explorer levels for the purpose of determining this modifier. [Straight from Loremaster and Royal Explorer classes. It works, so why change it?]
Bonus Language: At 2nd and 4th levels, the reading of ancient texts and deciphering runes carved on explored halls grants the Arcane Explorer any new language. [Much like the Royal Explorer and the Loremaster.]
Danger Sense: The Arcane Explorer possesses an uncanny intuition that warns him of impending danger. This grants him a +2 insight bonus on Reflex saves to avoid traps, a +2 dodge bonus to AC against attacks by traps, and a +4 insight bonus on Spot checks made to spot creatures at the beginning of an encounter (see the encounter Distance rules in Chapter 3 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide). At 5th level, these bonuses increase to +4, +4, and +6, respectively,
Brave: An arcane explorer of 3rd level or higher gets a +4 morale bonus to will saves against fear effects.
Alertness: An Arcane Explorer of 4th level gains the Alertness feat. [Not sure about this one – I think it makes sense.]

Remove ads