New prestige class, focus on bards

Actually I have already committed thread necromancy, as this thread had been dead since 2002... though making a new thread would still be important.

I probably wouldn't change much myself with the PrC, at least at first, apart from skills and cleaning up rules, I do think we should get others thoughts on this, especially by those that have played Pathfinder. Now should I make the thread or should you? I myself would actually post the PrC,though since I don't know how to do so otherwise I will be making the chart for the Ruin Explorer into a picture.

Empirate

First Post
I don't see how this class adds any prestige to a straight Bard. Actually, I think this PrC is heavily on the bland and the weak sides. I mean this in a strictly mechanical sense, I'm not commenting on the flavor (which is great btw, but that just makes the class that much more of a trap for novice players).

After all, you give up a lot of what makes Bards awesome (spells and music) for slight numerical bonuses on situational stuff. The first level does strictly nothing that another level in Bard wouldn't give you, except for the slightly (ever so slightly!) altered chassis. After that, you trade two levels of spellcasting advancement for 2 skillpoints, the weakest feat ever (Alertness) and some bonuses vs. traps, which is never a good thing in comparison. You also lose all bardic music advancement to gain a bonus (not even immunity! cue Paladin scoffing) vs. fear.

Bottom line: you tried hard not to make it overpowered, so you managed to make it significantly weaker than a core Bard. Is that really what you wanted? If you get a little more adventurous with the class's abilities, you might come up with something a little more colorful, mechanically speaking. Low and situational numerical bonuses are not class features! Give the Arcane Explorer something to make him actually arcane and let him explore!

Why not some abilities like "lose a spell slot to become incorporeal for a round/spell level" or "lose a Bardic Music use to gain True Seeing for a round"? Why not something that goes with the "prestigious" exotic weapon you gain, like the Exotic Weapon Master tricks? Why not something to go with your Performance skills, which the class otherwise has no use for whatsoever? How about something to do with Explorer Lore (take a page from the Archivist's book)? I can also imagine some X-Ray vision powers, something along the lines of the Legend Lore spell, or maybe just some social benefits for being part of the Royal Explorer Corps.
Maybe even a mechanic which lets you choose (modelled via a period of dedicated research) a particular dungeon or adventure site as your personal grail quest, providing some bonuses or new abilities while you're about digging up that particular treasure/studying this particular creature/mapping this particular unknown stretch of countryside etc.

Everything but boring numerical bonuses which only apply so often!

EDIT: Only just saw the creation date of this long-dead thread, apologize for posting in it!

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Interesting. The only thing I'd change is to move the spellcasting from level 1, 3, 5 to level 2, 3, 5 to avoid dipping by wizards. Otherwise, it's very cool.

Empirate

First Post
Interesting. The only thing I'd change is to move the spellcasting from level 1, 3, 5 to level 2, 3, 5 to avoid dipping by wizards. Otherwise, it's very cool.

And why would a Wizard want to dip this? You have to jump through a lot of skill rank hoops for just a bit of a better chassis than Wizard, with a (rather mediocre, if you only dip) Lore ability to go with it. The earliest a Wizard could take this is at level 13!

What I'd change about the spellcasting is make it a full progression, otherwise the class is next to useless for Bards OR Wizards (or anybody else, for that matter).

Remove ads