• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Race: The Aerlhún

Sylvaroth

First Post
Hmm it seems a little difficult to remember. How about this: +1 per size class of weapon +1 for each?

Better that way?
Light Bones: The Aerlhún have lightweight bones, many of which are hollow like those of a bird, so they are more vulnerable to physical attacks. Therefore, whenever they are hit by a bludgeoning weapon they take extra damage (+1 from light, +2 from one-handed, and +3 from two-handed weapons).

If you do not want to make them weaker of arm then how about giving them a vulnerability to earth based attacks?
You have to give them a serious limitation to counter wingless flight which is an awesome power to have :)

I know that it is quite powerful, but since its use is unrestricted only inside of their homeland I would prefer a solution that is likewise restricted. As Nénvelya is strongly connected to the Elemental Planes of Air and Water, I would suggest something like a reverse Elemental Mastery demonstrating the weak connection and influence of the Elemental Plain of Earth on the local conditions of this territory and its denizens.

Something like this:
Earth Inferiority: Inside the boundaries of Nénvelya an Aerlhún takes a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls, if both she and her foe are touching the ground.

Or this:
Earth Vulnerability: Inside the boundaries of Nénvelya an opponent gains a +4 bonus on attack and damage rolls against the Aerlhún, if both she and her foe are touching the ground.
(That is a 1d10+7 with a greatclub!)

Of course these could be used together but I am not that sure if it would not make them a little too weak then.

Have you seen this picture here?
742c37ce.jpg

When I saw it I imidatliy thought of your aurlun's.

Aurluns?
razz.gif

Anyways I like the pic kinda like the Hulk in blue, but Aerlhún have no pointed ears ;)

Last edited:

Trencher

Explorer
Okay Aerlhun's not Aurlun's Sorry about the misspelling!
Sylvaroth said:
Better that way?
Light Bones: The Aerlhún have lightweight bones, many of which are hollow like those of a bird, so they are more vulnerable to physical attacks. Therefore, whenever they are hit by a bludgeoning weapon they take extra damage (+1 from light, +2 from one-handed, and +3 from two-handed weapons).
That is what I mean, but I would not use the wording: one-hande, two-hande ect... I would rather lay the dammage bonus up to the actual size of the weapon (medium, large etc..). After all a two handed club can be used one handed by most gigants I don't have the players hand book with me now or else I could tell you the catogories, I can not reapeat them from memory.

Sylvaroth said:
Something like this:
Earth Inferiority: Inside the boundaries of Nénvelya an Aerlhún takes a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls, if both she and her foe are touching the ground.
That is great!

Sylvaroth said:
Anyways I like the pic kinda like the Hulk in blue, but Aerlhún have no pointed ears ;)
oops my mistake. It was just that you described them as quite muscular and that that dude looks like he has 13 to 14 str I know he is bald but I thought he was an elder or something. I did not think of the ears.

Sylvaroth

First Post
Never mind about the spelling! I was just joshing ;)

Posted by Trencher
That is what I mean, but I would not use the wording: one-handed, two-handed etc... I would rather lay the damage bonus up to the actual size of the weapon (medium, large etc..). After all a two handed club can be used one handed by most gigants I don't have the players hand book with me now or else I could tell you the catogories, I can not reapeat them from memory.
SRD, Equipment (Weapons)
Light, One-Handed, and Two-Handed Melee Weapons: This designation is a measure of how much effort it takes to wield a weapon in combat. It indicates whether a melee weapon,
when wielded by a character of the weapon’s size category, is considered a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, or a two-handed weapon.

I would rather use those, since creatures of other size then medium get size modifiers anyways. Naturally weapons that are considered two-handed (no matter the size of weapon or wielder) will deal more damage than one that is considered one-handed or even light.

That is great!

Thank you very much! :eek:
What do you think is its effect concearning the Aerlhún's LA?

oops my mistake. It was just that you described them as quite muscular and that that dude looks like he has 13 to 14 str I know he is bald but I thought he was an elder or something. I did not think of the ears.

I think he is some kind of sea elven barbarian who is addicted to bull's strength potions :D
Seriously now, I like the pic as it is well done, but it does not quite fit my idea of the majestic, mysterious people that can live to be older than members of most elven races. At the time the average Aerlhún is bald (middle-aged) the standard elf is considered to be of venerable age already. Just imagine a wise, grayed elf lord and the things he must have seen and done in a four centuries lasting life, standing next to an Aerlhún of the same age who is in the in the prime of his life right now, get my thought?

Trencher

Explorer
Sylvaroth said:
I would rather use those, since creatures of other size then medium get size modifiers anyways. Naturally weapons that are considered two-handed (no matter the size of weapon or wielder) will deal more damage than one that is considered one-handed or even light.
I agree with you.
Sylvaroth said:
At the time the average Aerlhún is bald (middle-aged) the standard elf is considered to be of venerable age already. Just imagine a wise, grayed elf lord and the things he must have seen and done in a four centuries lasting life, standing next to an Aerlhún of the same age who is in the in the prime of his life right now, get my thought?
Actually I do! In most campaign I have played in over here elves are portrayed as immortal beings like in Tolkien's books. Longlivety certainly creates some interesting roleplaying opportunities.

Last edited:

Sylvaroth

First Post
Revision Alarm!

teach.gif

In conformity with the recent developments of this thread's discussions the Aerlhún race entry has been revised. To see what changes have been made please visit the updated First Post of this thread.

Edited:
  • Aerlhún Lands
  • Fly [Su]
  • Earth Vulnerability

Sylvaroth

First Post
Maybe the Earth Inferiority and Earth Vulnerability should be added together and not depend on whether or not the Aerlhún's opponent stands on firm ground and not both of them (would you fight on the ground if you could fly and not suffer those penalties)? In addition shouldn't the latter be restricted to melee attacks against Aerlhún (rather than melee and ranged)?

Something like this:
Earth Vulnerability II: Inside the boundaries of Nénvelya an Aerlhún takes a -1 penalty on attack and damage rolls, while her opponent gains a +4 bouns on melee attacks and damage rolls against the Aerlhún, he is touching the ground. This trait demonstrates the minor character of the Elemental Plain of Earth in this area and the consequential adaption of Nénvelya's denizens to the local conditions.

Btw I have found another hairless dude.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
Sylvaroth said:
Wolf72 - I am not to sure if I understand what you want to say but maybe you could explain your point? As far as I understand (by now) you suggest that a warhammer deals as much extra damage to an Aerlhún as a broken off chair leg would. Don't get me wrong I was thinking about reducing the extra damge, too, but have not yet made up my mind how.

I was thinking more along the lines of how ... +1/3 dmg would just be an extra calculation ... as abstract as it is (hammer the same as a chair leg) a simple +1 or +2 ... or +1d4 would be much easier to deal with than.

Sylvaroth

First Post
joungwood.bmp

Wolf72 said:
I was thinking more along the lines of how ... +1/3 dmg would just be an extra calculation ... as abstract as it is (hammer the same as a chair leg) a simple +1 or +2 ... or +1d4 would be much easier to deal with than.

I see your point now. I just thought the extra damage should be somehow connected to the actual damage dealt.

In relation to your suggestion please tell me what you think of the new Light Bones and the Earth Inferiority entries of the
First Post's racial traits section.

Who thinks they are a balanced LA+0 PC race now? Who does not? Whatever you want to say feel free to post your comments.

Last edited:

Remove ads