New Releases: Complete Guide to Fey and Dungeon Crawl Classics #1: Idylls 3.5 Edition

goodmangames

First Post
Hi everybody,

We have two great new releases in stores now. Check them out!

DUNGEON CRAWL CLASSICS #1: IDYLLS OF THE RAT KING 3.5 EDITION
GMG5000R, 32 pages, $10.99
At long last, the 3.5-edition update of the ENnie-recognized best-seller that started the Dungeon Crawl Classics line! In Idylls of the Rat King, goblin bandits are once again attacking the silver caravans, killing innocent miners and stealing cargo. The goblins have taken up residence in an abandoned mine northwest of Silverton. Someone must get rid of them. But this is no ordinary abandoned mine. It was deliberately barricaded generations ago when the Gannu family, founders of Silverton, discovered an unspeakable evil on its lowest levels. And these are no ordinary goblins, for the curse of the Gannu family courses through their veins...
More information at http://www.goodman-games.com/5000Rpreview.php

COMPLETE GUIDE TO FEY
GMG3009, 80 pages, $18.99
The fey races are known for their magic and mystery -- but now, for the first time, they'll be known for what they truly are. The Complete Guide to Fey presents a groundbreaking rules system for tying all the fey races together. Using feats, templates, hosts, and completely new rules, it breaks down all the Monster Manual fey races, rebuilds them, and then ties them into a comprehensive overarching plot where the fate of all the known worlds hangs into the balance. Readers will learn the place of all the fey in this eternal drama, as well as how to craft their own fey races that tie into the ongoing plot. The Complete Guide to Fey is 100% world-neutral and stand-alone, and contains dozens of new monsters, spells, and characters.
More information at http://www.goodman-games.com/3009preview.php

thundershot

Adventurer
What DaveMage said. I've been looking forward to having 3.5 versions of the early DCC books, and even more, I've been wanting more Fey books since Faeries came out from Bastion. I was very upset when Fey Lore was cancelled by FFG... This sounds great!

Thanks
Chris

Banshee16

First Post
Now that the book is released, it would be great if anyone who has it could provide a bit more information about what's inside.

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
Well, I was going to ask how it treats Fey...as the Fey of D&D, as the potentially dark Faerie of more adult type myths, or more like Fairy Tales? Does it allow the creation of PCs, or just monsters? What's the flavour text like? Any new types of Fey? etc.

But, I was in the area of my local FLGS, picking up my gf, and went in and saw the book, and ended up picking it up.

So, now I have more specific questions of the designers :)

1-The Empyrean class....you show spells/day, and mention that they are spontaneous casters....but how many spells do they get to know? Can they learn any of the spells from their spell-list or are they limited like a sorcerer?

2-What spell list does an Empyrean use? The Fey Spells Master list? Or the Fey Spells by host lists?

3-Can a Feyshaped creature begin changing more and more into a fey eldritch vestiture, magic weave etc.?

4-Are the Fey races balanced against regular PC races, or should they be given EL's? What about the classes?

5-Could the Mysterial class be taken by regular PC's?

6-In the book, it discusses the fact that the Fey basically die when slain....unless a Remember to which they are tied changes the rules for that world or group of Fey. Many other books, such as Van Richten's Guide to Fey, posit that when Fey are slain, they actually reform in some new few shape.....not always remembering what they used to be. Could a Rememberer for a particular world set things that way?

7-How abstract can a Cynosure be? It seems like they're fairly restrictive....not all fey seem bound to a particular woodland etc......like pixies, grigs, etc. who can travel. This also comes into play when considering Fey PCs....a Cynosure could mean they couldn't travel with other party members.

8-Do all Fey belong to a Host, and gain access to that Host's abilities?

9-Have you considered using banes, such as those in Van Richten's Guide to the Fey, and Faeries by Bastion Press to offset abilities granted by some of those fey feats? Like inability to enter churches, being forced to step around particular objects, etc.?

10-Are fey always bound to the five laws, no matter what their host or race is?

11-Can a fey change race? ie. could a puck evolve into a shee?

The book seems very interesting. I'm still sort of digesting things, but I'm thinking along the lines of combining aspects from this book with both Faeries (Bastion Press) and Van Richten's guide to Fey.

Hopefully these questions made sense. I find it a pretty cool book, and Fey are one topic that hasn't been dealt with very much by the D20 industry....and there is a lot of ground to cover with them. I really like how this book is flexible enough to have several different takes on how they work.

Banshee

Last edited:

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I like your Dungeon Crawl Classics quicte a bit, and I've had no qualms paying the pittance you ask for them. I would love to see a hard cover compendium or two though. Any chance of something like that happening in the foreseeable future?

goodmangames

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
I like your Dungeon Crawl Classics quicte a bit, and I've had no qualms paying the pittance you ask for them. I would love to see a hard cover compendium or two though. Any chance of something like that happening in the foreseeable future?

I'm glad you enjoy them. We will probably do a hardcover compendium at some point, but it's not planned any time soon. Later this year we'll start reprinting those that have sold out (#1-#8, with #9 and #10 on the verge) in their original "skinny" form. Sometime next year I'll look at the option of hardcovers.

BTW, check the Goodman Games web site early next week for exciting news about the DCC line. Hint: Another classic TSR artist is back!

Remove ads