New skill feats

The game master is of course free to limit magic to only the 'non-physical' classes, but I feel that's a limitation of the D&D system that doesn't necessarily belong in a modern game. If you look at Bad-Axe Games' Grim Tales, they have a magic system that works with any class.

The benefit of this system is that, while the non-physical will still be the best spellcasters, you can add a bit of magical power to the physical classes. Strong heroes can become kinda like paladins, fast heroes can become kinda like monks. There's no existing archetype that is 'tough' with magical powers, but it's an intriguing character possibility. Also, if I used talents, Smart Heroes would stop being 'smart' and would just become 'magic class #1'. The talents are key to defining the character's role, and I like that with this system you can have a character fill more than one role.

In order to be able to use magic at all, you have to spend a feat, and then you can spend skill points on a selection of magical skills. Which skills you can choose depends on which feat you pick, so the "Christian Magus" feat will give you access to different spells than the "Norse Runecasting" feat.

Last edited:

Thomas5251212

First Post
RangerWickett said:
The benefit of this system is that, while the non-physical will still be the best spellcasters, you can add a bit of magical power to the physical classes. Strong heroes can become kinda like paladins, fast heroes can become kinda like monks. There's no existing archetype that is 'tough' with magical powers, but it's an intriguing character possibility. Also, if I used talents, Smart Heroes would stop being 'smart' and would just become 'magic class #1'. The talents are key to defining the character's role, and I like that with this system you can have a character fill more than one role.

And I think you could make this sort of argument just as easily about the Talent trees currently in the latter three classes. I find magical ability a non-physical enough process that I think the association with the Smart and Dedicated classes in particular as legitimate as the things they already have.

Essentially, if the D20M classes are going to have any meaning, I think trying to work against that as you've done here is essentially counterproductive.

I'm aware there's room for disagreement on this, and I mean no offense, but that's where I sit on the subject.

No offense taken. I just figure that if the ruleset lets Strong Heroes have Knowledge (physical sciences) or Craft (electronics) -- either as a cross-class skill or because they have the appropriate starting profession -- I don't think allowing them to have a 'non-physical' ability like spellcasting is a flavor problem.

I'm probably not going to change your mind, but thanks for pointing out a different viewpoint. I had thought most people like the flexibility d20 Modern already allows (it's much more flexible than core D&D for basic character creation), and I had not considered that this system might be going slightly across the line of what is acceptable flexibility for some gamers.

Thomas5251212

First Post
RangerWickett said:
No offense taken. I just figure that if the ruleset lets Strong Heroes have Knowledge (physical sciences) or Craft (electronics) -- either as a cross-class skill or because they have the appropriate starting profession -- I don't think allowing them to have a 'non-physical' ability like spellcasting is a flavor problem.

I'm probably not going to change your mind, but thanks for pointing out a different viewpoint. I had thought most people like the flexibility d20 Modern already allows (it's much more flexible than core D&D for basic character creation), and I had not considered that this system might be going slightly across the line of what is acceptable flexibility for some gamers.

Well, to me the strength of D20M is that its a comprimise between a freeform character gen and advancement system and a more traditional class based one; to a lesser degree so is D&D 3 in general. I don't have anything intrinsically against freeform systems, but I think if D20M wanted to take that tact, the classes themselves wouldn't exist; you'd just have a single class like CoC D20 did, and then various feats and such to toggle things.

As long as the system is still going to keep some things in some classes and some things in others, I just find magic one of those things where the distinction should be made (note I don't have the same issue with psychic powers, at least to the same degree; if I ever use a D20 M based psychic campaign I'll be using Green Ronin/Steve Kenson's Psychic's Handbook for example) but here it simply feels--inappropriate.

Thanks for not taking my response as hostile, though.

Remove ads