New Spell Cantrip: Minor Elemental Weapon

was

Adventurer
Minor Elemental Weapon:
Evocation Cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes.

A nonmagical weapon you touch is surrounded by a glowing aura. Choose one of the following auras: blue (cold), green (acid), purple (thunder), red (fire) or yellow (lightning). For the duration, the weapon does 1 extra point of elemental damage of the appropriate type when it hits. This extra point of damage counts as magical, even if the base weapon does not.
At Higher Levels. At 10th level, this aura increases to 2 points of elemental damage.

Any thoughts?

Sethros

First Post
Interesting spell,
It won't be used often however because of the Concentration duration.

I would suggest maybe change it for a duration of 1 minute (like shillelagh), no need to keep concentration.
Just add that somewhere and you're golden : The spell ends if you cast it again.

Also, I would increase damage at the same rate as other cantrips.
The spell's damage increases by 1 when you reach 5th level (2), 11th level (3), and 17th level (4)

That would be how I'd change this nifty little spell.
Have a good day.

was

Adventurer
Interesting spell,
It won't be used often however because of the Concentration duration.

I would suggest maybe change it for a duration of 1 minute (like shillelagh), no need to keep concentration.
Just add that somewhere and you're golden : The spell ends if you cast it again.

Also, I would increase damage at the same rate as other cantrips.
The spell's damage increases by 1 when you reach 5th level (2), 11th level (3), and 17th level (4)

That would be how I'd change this nifty little spell.
Have a good day.

So...like this then? Should there be anything about it not stacking with other elemental damage or other weapon enhancing spells?

Minor Elemental Weapon:
Evocation Cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: touch
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute

A nonmagical weapon you touch is surrounded by a glowing aura. Choose one of the following auras: blue (cold), green (acid), purple (thunder), red (fire) or yellow (lightning). For the duration, the weapon does 1 extra point of elemental damage of the appropriate type when it hits. This extra point of damage counts as magical, even if the base weapon does not.
At Higher Levels. The spell's damage increases by 1 when you reach 5th level (2), 11th level (3), and 17th level (4).

Sethros

First Post
Yup, That's how I would do it.
I don't think the stacking is really game-breaking as the spell still needs an action to be cast.

Remove ads